Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Crowkillers

Drives: 96 Z28
6 Speed shift pattern changed?

So they switched reverse from the right side to the left side? That's kinda gay.

Crowkillers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
I've always seen the pattern in the new camaro with reverse on the left. What's wrong with it?
Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Much better having it on the right. Every time you stop and start moving, you are accessing the lower gears. More chances for the car to be accidently placed into reverse. Since most drivers are in lower gears all the time (and changing in and out at lights, stopping, etc.) it would be safer keeping reverse away from the most commonly used gears.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

it takes quite a strong arm to get the shifter over far enough into reverse. I can see your point, but I just don't think it will case a problem. maybe ifyou're trying to slam second and are treating the shifter extremely rough. iunno though. Some people might have a problem with it, darwin awards exist.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
i think thats the v6 6 speed. im pretty sure the tr6060 in the SS is the same as the T56's, ie reverse on the right. i imay be wrong
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Much better having it on the right. Every time you stop and start moving, you are accessing the lower gears. More chances for the car to be accidently placed into reverse. Since most drivers are in lower gears all the time (and changing in and out at lights, stopping, etc.) it would be safer keeping reverse away from the most commonly used gears.

I've been driving my M6 stick for quite a while. I was worried that I was going to go into reverse when trying to go into 6th when I saw my current shift pattern. Well, there was a lock out feature that kept it from doing that at highway speeds.

Now, I'm concerned about finding 1st and not reverse accidentally and getting into an accident.

I WANT THE REVERSE ON TEH RIGHT!!! But all the complaining in the world won't make that happen. That sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2camaross View Post
i think thats the v6 6 speed. im pretty sure the tr6060 in the SS is the same as the T56's, ie reverse on the right. i imay be wrong
I'm pretty sure that it's on the left. I think I just read that it was on the left for the LS3. Not too cool...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

you can afford an M6 on a cop's salary?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #8
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
I have one question for this thread......

Who gives a turkey which side reverse is on?

I mean, it's not like you row through the reverse gears while carving through a slalom course. You use it for all of about 20 seconds in a day.

They could put the reverse gear between my legs and I wouldn't care

Well, maybe I would.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
you can afford an M6 on a cop's salary?
?? A Hurst short throw Manual 6? which was installed on my SS when I purchased it? Sorry, you lost me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
I have one question for this thread......

Who gives a turkey which side reverse is on?

I mean, it's not like you row through the reverse gears while carving through a slalom course. You use it for all of about 20 seconds in a day.

They could put the reverse gear between my legs and I wouldn't care

Well, maybe I would.
I care which side it's on because we don't want to accidentally go into reverse when meaning to go into 1st gear to take off. I've never tried the M6 in the TR6060 so I don't know how it'll work. I'm happy to give it a chance, but I'll just have to see. I would still like it to be on the right side. If it ain't broke.............
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #10
Chogan2200

Drives: 96 Cavalier "Scarlet"
I'm pretty sure that's how VW does there gear layouts. Down and upper left......right?
Chogan2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

I've been driving my M6 stick for quite a while. I was worried that I was going to go into reverse when trying to go into 6th when I saw my current shift pattern. Well, there was a lock out feature that kept it from doing that at highway speeds.

Now, I'm concerned about finding 1st and not reverse accidentally and getting into an accident.

I WANT THE REVERSE ON TEH RIGHT!!! But all the complaining in the world won't make that happen. That sucks.

I'm pretty sure that it's on the left. I think I just read that it was on the left for the LS3. Not too cool...
Just to give you a bit of a heads-up... that reverse lockout solenoid does have the potential to go south on you. Ask me how I know...
It's actually not that terrible an experience - especially if you have a high tolerance for listening to grinding sounds!

As for reverse being on the left, when I drove the manual V6 car at Milford in May, I actually did put it into reverse by accident (I hadn't looked at the shift pattern) when I wanted to launch the car. Good thing it was a very soft launch... and nobody was behind me!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 07-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #12
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
guys idk if you've ever driven a stick w/ reverse on the left... but i was in an M3 yesturday and to put the stick in reverse was almost difficult!!!

i dont think anyone minus Ahh-Nald is going to accidentally put it in reverse if GM does it like BMW.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
LegacyZ28

Drives: 1991 Jaguar XJ6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
?? A Hurst short throw Manual 6? which was installed on my SS when I purchased it? Sorry, you lost me...
He thought you meant the BMW M6.
LegacyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 05:49 PM   #14
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Goint to take a bit of getting used to since my Saab has it right bottom, but you gotta hold little switch under the knob to set it. Also have to get used to not set it in reverse every damn time when I stop since you have to do that when you want to take out the key on the Saab.