Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-22-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
ClarityCamaro

Drives: 2013 black zl1
So many different answers what can my rods/Pistons max Hp hold.

So my cars in the shop as we speak. Getting my 5th gear fixed. A snap ring on my output shaft was completely destroyed. Not sure the cause. I'm at 730 rwhp I wanted to increase my nitrous to 150 shot. But I don't wanna start throwing shit through my block. What's the max hp for these 2013 zl1's on the stock engine. Rods/Pistons can handle? That would put me upwards to 800 hp going from a 100 shot to a 150 shot. I've researched so many threads but all I could find is when these cars first came out in 2012. Any new updated info on this? Thanks in advance. Also I do have the dedicated fuel cell to push extra fuel. Just wondering the max hp my engine can handle.
ClarityCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #2
brhea21

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM
So during my rear end noise procedure i asked the GM master tech this very question. He said its rated to handle 1K crank hp. This was about a month ago.
brhea21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhea21 View Post
So during my rear end noise procedure i asked the GM master tech this very question. He said its rated to handle 1K crank hp. This was about a month ago.
Awesome thank you!
Old 06-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Hocky

Drives: Cts-v2
I am pretty sure that it is rated for 580hp. hah.

It'll hold a lot of power as long as your tune is good.
Hocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocky View Post
I am pretty sure that it is rated for 580hp. hah.

It'll hold a lot of power as long as your tune is good.
Yeah but how much power? I'm at around 730 to 750 I could do 800 to the wheels but I'm afraid my tranny might fail me before anything else
Old 06-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I am at 900whp. No issues. Some have ran well over 1000whp for a couple years.

With that said some guys have blown their motors at 650whp. Tune and plenty of fuel is key.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
I am at 900whp. No issues. Some have ran well over 1000whp for a couple years.

With that said some guys have blown their motors at 650whp. Tune and plenty of fuel is key.
My tuner just seems my tranny will be done at over 750 to the wheels. So in your opinion I can do the 150 shot and tuned correctly and be fine with my stock internals? Now os this living on the very edge? Where shit could break while at the track.

Also redline do you have stock internals?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
Redlineviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityCamaro View Post
My tuner just seems my tranny will be done at over 750 to the wheels. So in your opinion I can do the 150 shot and tuned correctly and be fine with my stock internals? Now os this living on the very edge? Where shit could break while at the track.

Also redline do you have stock internals?
SBE with 22lbs boost. RPM can kill a motor as fast as HP. Mine only spins to 6200rpm and has plenty of good fuel.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
SBE with 22lbs boost. RPM can kill a motor as fast as HP. Mine only spins to 6200rpm and has plenty of good fuel.
Might stick mind to the 800 rwhp range. Can anyone confirm this? That 800 to the wheels will be okay? As far as not throwing a piston. Or rod. Thanks for the reply red. I have a dedicated fuel cell and that adds race gas to the mixture so I'll definitely have enough fuel.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #10
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarityCamaro View Post
Might stick mind to the 800 rwhp range. Can anyone confirm this? That 800 to the wheels will be okay? As far as not throwing a piston. Or rod. Thanks for the reply red. I have a dedicated fuel cell and that adds race gas to the mixture so I'll definitely have enough fuel.
This is one of those things where folks will tell you something with absolutely zero liability (with sincerely the best of intentions and honesty), then you'll think it's ok and throw a piston. All they can tell you is what they have and how their car runs, but man oh man I'd be careful about doing this based on someone in the forum telling you it's ok. I think most folks will say these motors are solid and if the GM rep said it could handle 1000hp at the crank then you're probably ok, but as you know there are no guarantees. Good luck man, sounds like your car is a beast!
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:05 PM   #11
Redlineviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandiloro View Post
This is one of those things where folks will tell you something with absolutely zero liability (with sincerely the best of intentions and honesty), then you'll think it's ok and throw a piston. All they can tell you is what they have and how their car runs, but man oh man I'd be careful about doing this based on someone in the forum telling you it's ok. I think most folks will say these motors are solid and if the GM rep said it could handle 1000hp at the crank then you're probably ok, but as you know there are no guarantees. Good luck man, sounds like your car is a beast!
I 100% agree. All I or anyone else can state is what has been done with either my own or others I know. With that said tuning and the way you drive play a big part. There's a big difference I f you are drifting for three minutes bouncing the motor off the rev limiter vs driving around town and getting on it for few seconds at a time or road racing for 20 minute sessions.
Old 06-24-2016, 06:27 AM   #12
ClarityCamaro

Quote:
I 100% agree. All I or anyone else can state is what has been done with either my own or others I know. With that said tuning and the way you drive play a big part. There's a big difference I f you are drifting for three minutes bouncing the motor off the rev limiter vs driving around town and getting on it for few seconds at a time or road racing for 20 minute sessions.
Only time I ever use nitrous is at the 1/4 mile track other than that the bottles left At home. I've had my nitrous on for months now and have only gone through 2 bottles. So that should show how much I spray and how often lol. I just don't like how my tuner is hessitent about doing the 150 shot. He said he would that be aims to please. However... That made me nervous.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #13
2SShowngo

Drives: 2013 black ZL1#456
Well Modern07 just detonated his at 720hp, I think it's all a crap shoot. Only takes that one 50 cent part to fail
2SShowngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:00 AM   #14
ZL1Kid_AL

Drives: 2014 ZL1- Summit White M6
Pay to play. Risky business we are all in once we mod past 700 but if you have a good tuner and only beat on the car here and there it should last a while.

I always say push it til it breaks Lol