Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Cold Air Inductions
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-19-2017, 01:16 AM   #1
ivandpatino

Drives: lt2 rs
Replacing thermostat

Hello.
I have a 2010 lt2 rs automatic and the mechanic at the dealer says I have a bad water pump and I need to replace the thermostat.

The thermostat on the v6 is really hard to get to and I think I need to remove the engine plenum to get access to the thermostat.

I have the Chilton car manual; however, they don't really have pictures showing what bolts need to be taken out. I have search YouTube for videos and I have not found one that shows clearly how to remove the plenum.

Any ideas or direction would be appreciated.
ivandpatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #2
Russell James

Drives: Camaros
I looked in the OE service manual.

There is an upper and lower thermostat housing. For the lower housing, you do have to remove the intake manifold.

But... for just the thermostat and the upper thermostat housing, it does not show removing the intake manifold.

For the t-stat is shows - remove the rear intake cover. Drain rad. Remove the radiator outlet pipe that goes into the upper thermostat housing. Then remove the upper thermostat housing and t-stat.

For both to go bad at the same time, is quite a coincidence. What is the issue? If the w/p is not noisy or leaking... I'd start with just the t-stat and good purging of air out of the system.

To purge the air out after the system has been open... fill it up. Rad cap off. Have a helper start the car cold and hold the RPMS between approx. 1800 and 2000 for at least 5 mins. You need that water pump speed cold to get the air pockets out. As you are topping off the radiator while helper holds the r's up. When the coolant starts rushing in the rad, the t-stat just opened. When it starts to overflow, cap the radiator and set the overflow tank at cold full mark.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
ivandpatino

Drives: lt2 rs
Thanks Russel.
I am going to try what you suggested.
The problem is that I got the coolant too hot warning on the dashboard + small amounts of coolant at my parking spot with the smell of coolant after long drives. The dealer said that I needed a new water pump + thermostat and thermostat housing. They say that it was leaking from the front and the back. The car has been running a bit warmer then normal...199 to 215... I just finished replacing the water pump (that was actually pretty easy) but reaching the thermostat housing bolts seems impossible. If any one has photos of how to remove the plenum to access the thermostat or knows of a better way to reach the thermostat I would appreciated.
ivandpatino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #4
Russell James

Drives: Camaros
I'd replace the gaskets and seals on those pipes back there, along with the t-stat.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote