Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-15-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Not true at all at all on roots requiring a W/M kit... Simply run a air-to-water intercooler. As for "hot coolant", dump a bag of ice in before you make a pass at the track or BETTER YET, go with the RX Super Chiller thing! LOL! Lots of folks simply run the intercooler without meth. In fact I was just talking to Lidio over at Alternative Auto and he says very few guys are opting for meth and he installs a LOT of roots type blowers. BTW, there is nothing wrong at all with a properly setup meth kit and the power gains can be very impressive!

Also not all centri's are air-to-air.... Vortech uses air-to-water... although i think they do know offer air-to-air. But with water-to-air.. put that nice big reservoir in the trunk and load it up with a big bag of ice! When you are racing in August and the ambient temp is close to 100 degree, that cold ICE WATER isn't so hot! LOL

Thing is roots type blowers have never been that available for the V6s... so don't think it's really the tuning issues... Look at the V6 Mustang. There are already a couple of centri kits out for the new 3.7 but no roots. In the previous 4.0 V6 there was only 1 kit and that was a Eaton from Explorer Express... Took them quite a while to bring that out for the 4.0 in the Mustang... So even if the tuning in the Camaro was simple, not sure we would see a root type blower available...
People don't have to make the right decisions, but I would think most installers would "recommend" a meth kit after doing a few pulls and analyzing the IAT's. The fact of the matter is there is a lot of heat soak from roots style blowers to the engine.

Regardless, of the varying methods (meth, chiller, ice, et al) to cool down the roots style blower (engine) my point it it's always better "not" to have to worry about any secondary systems. I dont' "need" any of that on my ProCharger setup.

I don't want to use meth if I don't "have" to, and I don't want a trunk full of ice or any other gadgets to keep my IAT's cool if my blower choice doesn't transfer any additional heat to my engine. Additionally, what do you do when doing road course laps? Stop mid-way to cool the SC?

And, yes you're right ProCharger the first to come out with the Air-to-Air method and now everyone else wants to follow suit.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:53 AM   #16
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
People don't have to make the right decisions, but I would think most installers would "recommend" a meth kit after doing a few pulls and analyzing the IAT's. The fact of the matter is there is a lot of heat soak from roots style blowers to the engine.

Regardless, of the varying methods (meth, chiller, ice, et al) to cool down the roots style blower (engine) my point it it's always better "not" to have to worry about any secondary systems. I dont' "need" any of that on my ProCharger setup.

I don't want to use meth if I don't "have" to, and I don't want a trunk full of ice or any other gadgets to keep my IAT's cool if my blower choice doesn't transfer any additional heat to my engine. Additionally, what do you do when doing road course laps? Stop mid-way to cool the SC?

And, yes you're right ProCharger the first to come out with the Air-to-Air method and now everyone else wants to follow suit.
But you are at the mercy of of Mother Nature and the ambient air temp... Air to air is not the end all to be all... They make gadgets for air to air also... Check out the CO2 spray bars.

And of course the other benefit of a meth system is the octane increase effect, allowing you run more boost and timing. There are some serious gains to be had with this gadget....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
But you are at the mercy of of Mother Nature and the ambient air temp... Air to air is not the end all to be all... They make gadgets for air to air also... Check out the CO2 spray bars.

And of course the other benefit of a meth system is the octane increase effect, allowing you run more boost and timing. There are some serious gains to be had with this gadget....
The outside air temperatures will never be as hot as the fluid running through an engine, and that's the reason why the ProCharger works so well to push cooler air into the intake, and why the roots blowers don't thus the need for ice, and chillers.

As for increse in HP using meth.; My understanding is can use meth to cool the cylinder temp (which will maintain what ever power you already have vs a reduction in power due to hotter IAT's) OR use it as a fuel additive to provide power above and beyond what you have already. One method does nothing to increase power, the other does nothing to cool temps.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #18
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Under hood clearance will be one of the big issues as you need room to have the intercooler between the blower & the heads. Other than that it is just fabbing the lower plenum to work and it can be done. We may look at that in the future with a 1900 but with the turbos and centri systems our plate is kinda full until we get funded and into a larger facility.
Would it be possible to bundle an appropriate hood with a kit? All you'd have to do is call a couple hood vendors and see what wholesale price is or make a deal with someone to sell the hood every time you sell a kit—kind of a dropship sort of thing.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #19
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
The outside air temperatures will never be as hot as the fluid running through an engine, and that's the reason why the ProCharger works so well to push cooler air into the intake, and why the roots blowers don't thus the need for ice, and chillers.

As for increse in HP using meth.; My understanding is can use meth to cool the cylinder temp (which will maintain what ever power you already have vs a reduction in power due to hotter IAT's) OR use it as a fuel additive to provide power above and beyond what you have already. One method does nothing to increase power, the other does nothing to cool temps.
Meth cools the air charge... and suppresses detonation.. This allows you to get more aggressive with your tune....

The EcoBoost is an air to air intercooler system and works just fine... However there are some SHO guys running Meth and they typically knock .5 off there 1/4 mile ETs... Seriously look at this setup myself...

also for other that might not know:

Old 01-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #20
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Would it be possible to bundle an appropriate hood with a kit? All you'd have to do is call a couple hood vendors and see what wholesale price is or make a deal with someone to sell the hood every time you sell a kit—kind of a dropship sort of thing.
Would be a very expensive kit.. I would think it would price it out of the market?

How does the V6 engine height compare to the SS?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #21
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Would be a very expensive kit.. I would think it would price it out of the market?

How does the V6 engine height compare to the SS?
The hood could be an optional component. If clearance is a problem, I think people who really want roots are going to have to compromise by spending more. Otherwise, it's never going to come to fruition. It is either going to be a new hood or a weak supercharger setup. We can't expect a company to reengineer how superchargers fit on the engine for this setup.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:46 PM   #22
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The hood could be an optional component. If clearance is a problem, I think people who really want roots are going to have to compromise by spending more. Otherwise, it's never going to come to fruition. It is either going to be a new hood or a weak supercharger setup. We can't expect a company to reengineer how superchargers fit on the engine for this setup.
well, there is always TURBOS!!! LOL!
Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 PM   #23
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Quote:
Meth injection does both...and depending on the methanol to water ratio it can be used effectively to cool IAT's, add power, add octaine, and add fuel. On our 1000-1200 hp drag motors we run straight methanol fuel (N/A) and you can put your hand on the intake manifold and it is cold to the touch. We also have to restrict the coolant to get the motors even up to operating temp.

We are using it for both cooling and adding fuel/octaine to Gretchen running 7-8#'s boost.

Yes we sure could add the hood with the entire kit....possibly with a lexan window to see the blower as well. Scrmng is correct that the price would be high....but what isn't with our cars!

Meth does allow us to be more agrresive with the boost & tune for sure. In fact with the heads up cars today running 2000-2500 hp Methanol injection is the only adder that can control the amount of boost needed for the power to be competitive.

The Co2 spray works well for a few runs and then its fill the tank again. Add the weight and its not very practical.

Water chests full of ice only last a few rounds and then you need to drain & refill.....and the added weight again is a minus. We abanonded them 10-15 years ago due to the negatives in drag racing.

The chiller adds maybe 9#'s and is run continueous with nothing ever to buy or refill again street or strip or road race. I have yet to see any solution that even comes close and can't think of any negatives.

We will work on a roots style in the future for sure when we catch up on all the other DI V6 projects.
I don't doubt it, but remember we are talking about 6cyl. setups. Seems to me that if it were that easy to do (put a blower) all the manufacturers would have systems in place already.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:26 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Meth injection does both...and depending on the methanol to water ratio it can be used effectively to cool IAT's, add power, add octaine, and add fuel. On our 1000-1200 hp drag motors we run straight methanol fuel (N/A) and you can put your hand on the intake manifold and it is cold to the touch. We also have to restrict the coolant to get the motors even up to operating temp.

We are using it for both cooling and adding fuel/octaine to Gretchen running 7-8#'s boost.

Yes we sure could add the hood with the entire kit....possibly with a lexan window to see the blower as well. Scrmng is correct that the price would be high....but what isn't with our cars!

Meth does allow us to be more agrresive with the boost & tune for sure. In fact with the heads up cars today running 2000-2500 hp Methanol injection is the only adder that can control the amount of boost needed for the power to be competitive.

The Co2 spray works well for a few runs and then its fill the tank again. Add the weight and its not very practical.

Water chests full of ice only last a few rounds and then you need to drain & refill.....and the added weight again is a minus. We abanonded them 10-15 years ago due to the negatives in drag racing.

The chiller adds maybe 9#'s and is run continueous with nothing ever to buy or refill again street or strip or road race. I have yet to see any solution that even comes close and can't think of any negatives.

We will work on a roots style in the future for sure when we catch up on all the other DI V6 projects.
This would be a worthwhile addition to the price IMO. Sounds awesome. I'm still holding off to see which of the RX FI systems I spend my money on. I still wants top mount SC, but we'll see how it all turns out.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
devilisht2003

Drives: 07 TBSS
How close? Getting close to buying a Camaro and trying to decide between SS or LFX with some form of FI. The roots style charger REALLY peaks my interest due to the bottom end power.
devilisht2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #26
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 04-24-2013, 06:38 PM   #27
devilisht2003

Drives: 07 TBSS
AWESOME!!!!
devilisht2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:41 PM   #28
Lil' Nasty