Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM   #29
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post

Yea, the date shows the year 2198 hence the "future" comment.

I'm with everyone. Water dripping is normal. You may notice water come out the exhaust sometimes as well.

As far as the black soot, that is a good question. I figured it was because our cars run rich. A catch can can help with this?

My car for 11 yrs had the stock stainless exhaust and no soot.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #31
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle SS View Post
That looks really bad, I would take it to the dealer ASAP! Maybe even get it towed, that is scary stuff
I really hope this guy is joking... then again, I had a hard time taking the OP seriously at first so maybe Muscle SS just thought the thread was a joke entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuiquen View Post
so the black soot is because of a exhaust leak??? ok.. I will work on getting the clamp tigher.. honestly, I tightened that as much as I could.. maybe i got loose over time.. Will try to do it later this wknd or so... thank you for all the answers.
Haven't you ever owned a car before? They all leak water out, granted most have tighter clamps so they don't leak out at one of the connections, but regardless all cars have water come out of the pipes. Especially if the A/C is on...

I'd be more worried if you had a puddle the same size that was oil... which is what I deal with on my 1994 Camaro's LT1 after it sits for a long time... and that's considered normal to some extent.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #32
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
I do understand that this might sound retarded... and i am totally aware of water leaking from exhaust but i never really knew it was so muchhh. I was worried about the big puddle and also was trying to figure out if water is coming out at the clamps, do i have a air leak as well??? Is that bad???

I have better understanding of this now thanks to everyone. Really appreciate all the answers...
Wuiquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #33
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
if you have water leaking out from the clamps then you have air leaking out as well. It's not "bad" per say, but exhaust leaks aren't good. Just tighten the clamps.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
While your under the car - You might explore changing those band clamps to a two bolt clamp; which will be much wider.

Last edited by formare; 04-11-2012 at 09:54 PM.
formare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #35
Wuiquen

ok. I will try to look for some clamps.. that was the purpose of the thread. Maybe beause of the air leak is why my exhaust tone change... because this water/air leak is reacent..
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #36
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Hey guys,

So last night as I worked on changing my bumper, I was doing a inspection of the underside of the car and realized that I had water dripping from the mid section of my exhaust. It is right were the X pipe connects to the pipes coming from the headers. I took a look at it and the pipes at that connection are rusting pretty bad. is this normal?? if there is water dripping out, isnt there also air leaking out??? Do I just need to make the connection tighter to make sure no water comes out??? what got me is that it was a lot of water in a matter of 3 hrs or so.

Any advice would be appreciate it,

Attachment 356851

Attachment 356853

Attachment 356850

Attachment 356852
\

How many miles do you have on your car??
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:18 PM   #37
Wuiquen

like 2000 why?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #38
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
As long as the exhaust "leaking out" is away from your O2s, it's nothing to worry about. It might make a bit of noise having the air whistling out of the hole but if you don't hear it, don't worry about it IMHO.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #39
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
My guess would be you have aftermarket mufflers with no drain holes.

The factory exhaust will drain the water out through the muffler holes. If those aren't there, and you take some short trips, the system will build up the water in the center of the exhaust. Then it leaks out where ever it can.

I've had several systems, all joints very tight, no noticeable exhaust leaks, and they still drip out like that.

The aftermarket doesn't follow the same specs as OE. The OE system has many little features of a properly designed system; no leaks, drains where they should be...
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #40
Wuiquen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
My guess would be you have aftermarket mufflers with no drain holes.

The factory exhaust will drain the water out through the muffler holes. If those aren't there, and you take some short trips, the system will build up the water in the center of the exhaust. Then it leaks out where ever it can.

I've had several systems, all joints very tight, no noticeable exhaust leaks, and they still drip out like that.

The aftermarket doesn't follow the same specs as OE. The OE system has many little features of a properly designed system; no leaks, drains where they should be...
Well this sucks... because most of my trips are like 2 miles from home to work and back.. errr... oh well.. I have never seen water out of my pipes so probably a lot of builtup..
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM   #41
spen5151

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 VR/ECF/Sunroof-Trad
Quote:
Hey guys,

So last night as I worked on changing my bumper, I was doing a inspection of the underside of the car and realized that I had water dripping from the mid section of my exhaust. It is right were the X pipe connects to the pipes coming from the headers. I took a look at it and the pipes at that connection are rusting pretty bad. is this normal?? if there is water dripping out, isnt there also air leaking out??? Do I just need to make the connection tighter to make sure no water comes out??? what got me is that it was a lot of water in a matter of 3 hrs or so.

Any advice would be appreciate it,

Attachment 356851

Attachment 356853

Attachment 356850

Attachment 356852
I recently installed the Borla ATAK cat back on my SS m6. I did the install myself so I wanted to offer some information and advice. I am not sure what type of exhaust you have but i would check the instructions from the manufacture to see what they recommend for torque setting on the clamps. On mine Borla recommended 32-35 ft-lb max as higher could crush the pipes. Also I noticed in your photos that some of the clamp openings are right over the notch in the exhaust pipes, you want to ensure this is not the case as it will allow exhaust leaks and therefore water leaks. In addition I noticed your clamps are not relatively close to the opening of each of the exhaust piece that you are clamping down. When you tighten down the clamps you want to be over the notches as much as possible to allow a good seal. If I can I will take pictures on mine today and post, not that I am an expert but I do not have any exhaust leaks. For now I would recommend spinning the clamps so the clamp opening is not over the notches in the pipes and sliding them back so they are closer the the end of the pipe you are clamping down.

Traded:
2011 Camaro 2SS IOM, RS, Polished Rims, Sunroof, Black Stripes, Hurst Shifter
Mods: Borla ATAK Cat-Back, CAI Intake, Skip Shift Elim, Tint

Last edited by spen5151; 04-15-2012 at 11:23 AM.
spen5151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #42
Wuiquen

my exhaust is cherry bomb. If I remember correctly there was no torque spec for my install.. I will be redoing the clamps and moving them close to the end as everyone has advice.. maybe someone can pitch in what torque I should use..