Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #183
2010redcamaro

Drives: camaro jeep srt8 2010 gtr
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1ster View Post
...it's all good .

We drive AMERICAN Muscle!

We're bro's...
i have a gtr a jeep srt8 and a v6 camaro that im selling sooo cousins
2010redcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #184
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
I gotta give credit to the ZL1. Making an over 4000 pound car do what its dong takes alot. Will the ZL1 out handle the GT500?? I say yes, that it depends on the track and driver. The ZL1 will be more easy to drive but I dont think its going to kill a GT500 on every track or even beat the GT500 on every track. Throw more laps in there and I bet the ZL1 will heat soak MUCH faster than the GT500. But I still give the edge to the ZL1 on road courses.

Now the 1LE and Boss. Thats a whole different story. The 1LE beat the Boss time on a dry track on a different day with no traffic compared to the Boss's time on a damp track with traffic. Just sayn.......Also im not biased. I could care less if its a Ford Dodge or Chevy......Ive had all and alot of each!!!!
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #185
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Tech View Post
What I dont get is all of the sudden a road course time is what matters the most. As far back as I can remember, 1/4 mile times were what was talked about. Now, 1/4 mile times are "not all the car is about"??? Hmmmmmm. I love the ZL1 and all but sounds kind of fishy to me. Why is this big push for road course times out all of the sudden when it never even came to mind not to long ago.
Personally, I could give a rats ass about a road course time.

I can just hear it now......."he buddy, I bet I can take that offramp faster than you!!!!!" OR, "Ill race you around that corner for pinks!!!"
LOL. It's already happening. The ZL1 has a G meter in the HUD so now we can post our best lateral acceleration G's. I've been a hard core drag racer my adult whole life and consider it the bench mark of performance racing; especially when it comes to American Muscle cars. I can't wait to take my ZL1 to the track this Spring. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
That's because it's finally becoming more popular in the U.S. ...
This is definitely true when it comes to road racing. I also can't wait to take this car on a road course as well. I've always hesitated because my previous car was set up for drag racing, but this should be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Once more it all comes down to what you want in a car, if you are only looking at drag racing then yes $60,000 for a 12 second car isn't the best bang for your buck.

From another perspective while $60,000 and getting close to the 3 minute barrier is very impressive. $55,000 and breaking the 3 minute barrier is just so much more impressive, also much better bang for your buck.
A lot of the detractors in this thread would say otherwise; but this sums it up the best. The ZL1 is a true dual purpose track and street car with a warranty to back it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Slingshot gave a perfect answer and you pretty much blew it off to scarcasm. We've had 1/4 mile thread after 1/4 mile thread and the 13 GT500 is .5 seconds faster on the drag strip if not more than the ZL1... You will not ever see a stock GT500 lose to a stock ZL1 on the drag strip unless the driver is horrible or they redlight. Pretty much done and over so why do we want to continue to beat that horse on a Camaro site.

Now this thread is a road track time so folks are in here to talk about it. The big deal is with the weight/HP difference the GT500 should be walking all over the ZL1 on the roadtrack as well. It's not happening which is a testament to the ZL1. It's going to take time for the Ford guys to reel in the raw power of the GT500 and learn to drive it. I'm quite sure with time their lap times will decrease at a faster rate than the ZL1.
Well said. Just the facts please.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #186
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010redcamaro View Post
i was just reading the thread and someone said the camaro is the best bang for your buck i simply stated how i felt it isnt thats all
I don't think that anyone has an issue with your opinion that you prefer drag racing to road racing, or that you would rather have the GT500 over the ZL1.

I want is a matter of opinion, when you start to say that one thing is a better bang for your buck then another it is safer to have a qualifier. Such as the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because its faster at the drag strip. That is an opinion, when you state that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because it is so much faster at the drag strip it comes off as a matter of fact. When in reality there are plenty of people who disagrees with you, also because these two cars excel at different things its possible that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car then the ZL1 for you but the other way for other people.

You also throw it out there that suddenly people have become track fans because it is is what ZL1 and 1LE is really good at. I can give a counter argument that people are increasingly enjoying road racing and that those who like drag racing may even be down. This would also have the desired result of turning drag strip people into road racing people. You also have to understand that the gen 4 Camaro's while not the worst handling cars in the world this isn't something that it excelled at. Its like a kid who gets a new toy and starts to play with it, they find out that this toy can also do X, Y, and Z and now have more interest in it because of it.

With that said, my uncle loved drag racing and when he was younger had a 1969 SS 396 Camaro which ran a best time of 12.10 at the drag strip. He passed this love for drag racing on to his son, I have had no interest at all in drag racing. If you think I need historical context for why I like Camaro's then look at the old Z28 Camaro's and their performance in Trans Am racing something with lots of turns.

As far as others "jumping" onto the road racing band wagon that you have insinuated I can not speak for others. though is it possible that those people talk drag racing in drag racing threads and road racing in road racing threads and that they actually liked both all along?.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #187
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
. The fact the GT500 can barely beat a $37k car with 200 less horsepower speaks volumes. There are about a million mods you can do to a LS3 to make a Camaro do the 1/4 faster then a GT500...

this make me feel .. fuzzy.
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #188
2010redcamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I don't think that anyone has an issue with your opinion that you prefer drag racing to road racing, or that you would rather have the GT500 over the ZL1.

I want is a matter of opinion, when you start to say that one thing is a better bang for your buck then another it is safer to have a qualifier. Such as the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because its faster at the drag strip. That is an opinion, when you state that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car because it is so much faster at the drag strip it comes off as a matter of fact. When in reality there are plenty of people who disagrees with you, also because these two cars excel at different things its possible that the GT500 is the better bang for your buck car then the ZL1 for you but the other way for other people.

You also throw it out there that suddenly people have become track fans because it is is what ZL1 and 1LE is really good at. I can give a counter argument that people are increasingly enjoying road racing and that those who like drag racing may even be down. This would also have the desired result of turning drag strip people into road racing people. You also have to understand that the gen 4 Camaro's while not the worst handling cars in the world this isn't something that it excelled at. Its like a kid who gets a new toy and starts to play with it, they find out that this toy can also do X, Y, and Z and now have more interest in it because of it.

With that said, my uncle loved drag racing and when he was younger had a 1969 SS 396 Camaro which ran a best time of 12.10 at the drag strip. He passed this love for drag racing on to his son, I have had no interest at all in drag racing. If you think I need historical context for why I like Camaro's then look at the old Z28 Camaro's and their performance in Trans Am racing something with lots of turns.

As far as others "jumping" onto the road racing band wagon that you have insinuated I can not speak for others. though is it possible that those people talk drag racing in drag racing threads and road racing in road racing threads and that they actually liked both all along?.
I never said the 500 was a better bang for your buck I just said the camaro at 60k isn't
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #189
2010redcamaro

I was simply expressing my opinion I thought this was anerica
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #190
GearBangr

Drives: 97Z,02TA
Quote:
I gotta give credit to the ZL1. Making an over 4000 pound car do what its dong takes alot. Will the ZL1 out handle the GT500?? I say yes, that it depends on the track and driver. The ZL1 will be more easy to drive but I dont think its going to kill a GT500 on every track or even beat the GT500 on every track. Throw more laps in there and I bet the ZL1 will heat soak MUCH faster than the GT500. But I still give the edge to the ZL1 on road courses.

Now the 1LE and Boss. Thats a whole different story. The 1LE beat the Boss time on a dry track on a different day with no traffic compared to the Boss's time on a damp track with traffic. Just sayn.......Also im not biased. I could care less if its a Ford Dodge or Chevy......Ive had all and alot of each!!!!
Here's another comparison.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/_mob...-camaro-ss-1le
GearBangr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #191
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
It is not hard to comprehend why 1/4 times and straight line performance matter so much to people. 99% of drivers and even enthusiasts will do most of their racing in a straight line whether it be legally at a track or from stop light to stop light.
It is hard on the car, but nowhere near as hard as running hard laps around a track. Not to mention most people do not have the skill to get a car around a track quickly. 1/4 racing is significantly easier.
I am a huge enthusiast myself and my personal cars have only ever seen the drag strip, more times than I can count. I'd love to go to a nice course but my Camaro is my daily and running a daily hard around a track just isn't a good idea. When I can eventually afford a home and a second car then I'll give it a go, for now its high speed go karts.
Additionally 1/4 times are widely recognized and easily understood. There are countless tracks out there and they are all so different. Someone on the other side of the country will likely not have any idea what a good time is at your local course. They would however understand 1/4 times.

So hopefully now you realize how important 1/4 times are and why people care.

For those who responded to me, the above shows why the 500 is a great performer. Most people care about 1/4 times and it just plain trashes the ZL1 and pretty much every other car out there for the money. The ZL1 obviously handles better but most people are never going to a course track.

Just think if the cars were opposite and the ZL1 put up the 500 times while the 500 was a bit quicker around a track? I guarantee I'd see people saying, "Who cares that your car is faster around some random track, you'll still enjoy my tail lights when I see you out." Just saying...

The 500 being the better performance car for the cash doesn't take away from the ZL1 also being a great performer for the cash. I'd still get the ZL1 over it anyway because it is the better daily.

/rant /imdone
That's where I disagree, for the money the GT500 is not the better performer/buy. It is substantially slower around a road course, not as comfortable for DD, less sophisticated technology, and still cost $5k more. Put that $5k into the ZL1 (will get you over 100rwhp with proper cooling) now we have two cars with same $$ in them, the GT500 has no chance. The ZL1 is better in many areas and the better all around performer for the $$. The GT500 only does one thing better, the 1/4, and that at a $5k surplus to the ZL1 price. Takes $20k to make a nova run low 11's, does that make it a better performance car for the $$??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
Hmm, think you're not understanding my point...its easy to make a car go fast in a straight line, just takes some money.
Making it endure Nurburgring at 7.40 takes skill and engineering...and lots of it. The fact the GT500 can barely beat a $37k car with 200 less horsepower speaks volumes. There are about a million mods you can do to a LS3 to make a Camaro do the 1/4 faster then a GT500...

As far as egotistical people who are busy living life "a quarter mile at a time"...just don't have time for those kind of people...
I don't race on public roads and anytime anybody wants to challenge me, I say "sure, lets go to the track"...they usually decline...they usually lack the skill and are worried about their "superior" cars breaking...

Guess you can look at it another way...Cars can accelerate, decelerate, turn left, turn right and endure....seems kind of ridiculous to declare your car superior against a car that can do ALL of those well, because you can do a quarter mile .3 of a second faster, yet suck at everything else
Exactly, ALL high end performance cars are benchmarked to their track capabilities and ring times due to the level of engineering and performance capabilities of the car. We are in a new era, the reason the old American muscle cars only cared about 1/4 was because old American cars were not capable of producing a car that could handle worth a damn. Now tech has been introduced and things are changing.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #192
silverds
2015 SS 6M

Drives: 2015 SS 6M
The GT500 is a U.S. Heavyweight Champion boxer, and the ZL1 is a International Heavyweight MMA rookie.

The Boxer is the undisputed "king of the hill" of an antiquated breed; The stand up and duke it out, blow for blow brute, who either excels at pummeling opponents in legitimate sanctioned matches or illegally busting noses and jaws on the street.

The MMA fighter is the shockingly effective rookie who has surprised everyone by either upsetting the reigning champions or at least eliminating any measurable dominance they may have had in multiple disciplines.

The GT500 is the undisputed king of the dragstrip for a factory car under $65,000 and has been so for many years. It is also respectfully competitive on a road course. As a grand tourer it is rationalized as an acceptable option even though it is still measurably inferior to other competitors in that regard. But don't tell it that cause it will eagerly try to prove that every road is a dragstrip.

The ZL1 available in fully competitive form for under $60,000, is the multi-disciplined young international rookie of the year. In its first year it has either upset the champions or virtually eliminated their measurable dominance in whatever contest it has entered. It's been compared to and even out raced Audi's RSs, BMW's Ms, Mercedes' AMGs and Porsche's 911s. It has even called into question the dominance of Ferraris, Jaguars, Nissan's GTR and the rediculously over valued Lexus LFA. Both Ferrari and Audi are paying undoubtedly huge somes of money to borrow its technology (MRC). All the while, being a very respectable grand tourer and daily driver with room for 4 and some cargo.

Oh and on a dark and lonely street, it doesn't care about of a few tenth's or a few pounds disadvantage to the old local brute who feels the need to prove something to itself that it can't seem to prove anywhere else but on a lonely street or a dragstrip. That it's still the king...of an antiquated breed.

Last edited by silverds; 01-01-2013 at 01:39 PM.
silverds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #193
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
That's where I disagree, for the money the GT500 is not the better performer/buy. It is substantially slower around a road course, not as comfortable for DD, less sophisticated technology, and still cost $5k more. Put that $5k into the ZL1 (will get you over 100rwhp with proper cooling) now we have two cars with same $$ in them, the GT500 has no chance. The ZL1 is better in many areas and the better all around performer for the $$. The GT500 only does one thing better, the 1/4, and that at a $5k surplus to the ZL1 price. Takes $20k to make a nova run low 11's, does that make it a better performance car for the $$??
2 seconds may be slower but calling that substantial is a bit of a stretch imo. Especially considering at 3:00.6 it still beat out most of the other exotics on the list. You have to acknowledge that 3:00 is still very fast. All I'm saying is you get a 1/4 monster AND a car that gets around the track FAST.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #194
SRT8Tech
2013 Super Bee

Drives: 2013 Super Bee
Didnt the GT500 beat the ZL1 around a road course a few months ago??? I gotta go find that pic......
2011 392 Challenger.........................SOLD
2012 mid 10 second 1/4 mile GT500.... SOLD

Current ride 100% stock 2013 Plum SuperBee............best of 12.407 @ 114.28 for now.

Tune, CAI and Drag radials. Best of 12.00 @ 115.74
SRT8Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #195
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Where in the hell did you come from with that comment? Did I infer anything of the like? I simply made a VALUE (performance for the buck) statement and reference the article mentioned the performance of the ZL1 could have even been better. Happy New Year and read the entire thread (just a few post early we were discussing the best performance value) before making a comment that has no fundamental basis.
And regarding his comment of the 99% of LFA owners...you can bet anyone with that kinda cash has an ego to go with it.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #196
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Didnt the GT500 beat the ZL1 around a road course a few months ago??? I gotta go find that pic......

I don't trust magazines as the final word. Their business is to sell magazines first I ask with hardcopy publications is do both manufacturers pay for advertisement in those magazines? As far as the numbers, the Mustang will of course win a drag race. I don't drag race, low ET low IQ as they say. I bet you a paycheck that the road race track times are driver related. I still like the Mustangs and I owned one but they still drive terribly in the rain because of that damn live axle from the sixties.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote