Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Wrinkle-sidewall related questions

Howdy all,

I need your help/advice. I need to get some serious rubber on the back of my '11 SS, and would like to go with a 16" or 17" wheel/tire combo and run something like an MT ET Street tire with a true wrinkle-sidewall.

Question is - what does it take to get a 16" wheel on the rear? Will I need to swap out the rear brakes for a V6 setup? If that's the case, then is it possible to run a 17" rim with the stock SS rear Brembo's? If that will clear, what suspension mods are required? Will I need to replace the lower control arms - and if so - if any of you have done it - can you recommend what I should get?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

BLESSINGS!
Sam
Old 04-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
gonna have to get rid of the brembos in the rear, probably get the rear brakes off of a V6 and then find wheels with the right off set. I wouldn't do wrinkle walls on a stock rear end either.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
wayne watson

Drives: 2014 camaro ss ,1967 chevelle ss,
something else, be very carefull with those soft tires, the don't corner at all, the rear will wash out easy. and play with the air pressure to see what works best. been there done all that, almost wrecked 1st time cause i did'nt know how to set the car up
Old 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM   #4
Ace1USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
gonna have to get rid of the brembos in the rear, probably get the rear brakes off of a V6 and then find wheels with the right off set. I wouldn't do wrinkle walls on a stock rear end either.
I was afraid of that. Is that for 17" wheels as well? Or just 16" wheels that I would hafta ditch the Brembo's for? I already have a GForce 9" with 1400hp axles, a Detroit locker, and Richmond 4.10's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne watson View Post
something else, be very carefull with those soft tires, the don't corner at all, the rear will wash out easy. and play with the air pressure to see what works best. been there done all that, almost wrecked 1st time cause i did'nt know how to set the car up
Good advice - thanks. I've been driving cars with street slicks for years. I have a nasty, supercharged, big block 69 Chevelle with 30" x 14.50" x 15" Mickey Thompson ET Street, so I'm VERY familiar with the wobble and vagueness of wrinkle-wall tires on the street. I would really only use the sticky tires to drive to the track and back anyway. Otherwise, the Camaro has 22" TSW Donnington Pros on her for normal street driving.

So any ideas about the rear suspension components and what needs to get changed to fit a 17" wheel? And will the stock Brembo's out back work with a 17" wheel?

BLESSINGS!
Sam
Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 PM   #5
Ace1USMC

Why do the moderators move these threads so fast before folks even have a chance to view them and answer???? No one is gonna see this in the wheels and tires section - except the folks going there to try and find answers. The ones with the answers aren't going back to that section. Moderators make utterly zero sense to me sometimes.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
You CAN fit a 17" Weld RT-S, Bogart, or CCW wheel on the back of your car without changing the brake set-up, those specific wheels will fit over the Brembos. Many people on here (including myself) are running the 17x10 drag wheels as mentioned above with the stock Brembo brakes. 16" wheels will fit if you swap out your rear brakes with the V-6 brake system. It is highly recommended to change your rear lower control arms if running the 17" Welds. If not, you run the risk of the LCA contacting the inner wheel. Bogarts and CCW wheels have been used without changing or modifying the LCA's at all. BMR has a superb aftermarket LCA available in both an adjustable version (TCA029) and a non-adjustable version (TCA028) for use with lowered vehicles. In my own car, I am running a 17x10 Weld RT-S with our Drag Race Suspension Package (DRP007) which was designed for use with 15" drag wheels. I have plenty of clearance now!!! Plus, the option to use a 15" wheel later down the road if I want to purchase the necessary Wilwood brake components. Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be glad to get you pointed in the right direction.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #7
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Keith, could you post a pic sometime showing where the BMR rear control arms are modified to allow fit for 15 to 17" wheels.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #8
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Keith, could you post a pic sometime showing where the BMR rear control arms are modified to allow fit for 15 to 17" wheels.
PSJ, here are some pictures of our current line of Rear Lower Control Arms. The first one is the MTCA030, this is our only LCA that is compatible with a 15" drag wheel. This 15" set-up also requires several other components, such as shorter Strange Eng. DA Coilovers, TCA033 Trailing Arms, and a complete Wilwood Brake Package. We sell the Suspension Package (DRP007) and Brake Package (BCP001) separately, so that you can upgrade in increments (like I did). I'm currently running the DRP007 suspension package with 17" Welds. The other LCA's are our non-adjustable (TCA028) and the adjustable (TCA029) which will work with 17" or larger wheels.
Attached Images

BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote