Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Is there a Bulletin for the RS Headlights / HIDs?

I've replaced mine countless times, they've always been way too dim, even with genuine expensive bulbs. I missed a deer way too many times now it's getting too dangerous, I talked to my dealer about it and one person said there was a bulletin for those because he has heard about this complaint from more than one person - but after I took it to the service department and gave them my VIN, they said there was no such thing (I think he couldn't find what I was looking for)
Old 09-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Never heard of this problem. Since you have replaced the bulbs several times with no fix, I would be having someone test the lighting circuit and look for a voltage drop. Sounds like your not getting full voltage to the lights. Are these factory RS lights?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
If your lights are not as bright as they should be, you have an unwanted resistance/damaged wiring inside your circuit somewhere, either on the power side or the ground side. If your car is still under warranty, bring it in and have it inspected, make sure they test and check all the wiring, fuses etc... as mentioned in the post above. Could also be an internal module issue.

Just checked all bulletins, campaigns and PI's for this issue, none were found, I think the person who told you this is full of it. Unless it was there at one point and GM removed it, which is rare, but can happen.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.
DJ_BigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
VAbdul

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Yes they are the factory RS headlights

It makes sense if the wireing is damaged, because I took it the first time to replace the bulbs and they didn't know how and may have installed it wrong, I took my car back home and installed the bulbs but by the time I got home there was a slight smell (so you could be right on the wires)

My car is past the 36k Bumper warranty, would they still cover it? I'm going to check it out tomorrow, but that specific dealer didn't even know how to replace the bulbs themselves, so I don't expect much of them inspecting the internals -

What should I ask of the service department directly?

(thank you)
Old 10-02-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAbdul View Post

It makes sense if the wireing is damaged, because I took it the first time to replace the bulbs and they didn't know how and may have installed it wrong, I took my car back home and installed the bulbs but by the time I got home there was a slight smell (so you could be right on the wires)

My car is past the 36k Bumper warranty, would they still cover it? I'm going to check it out tomorrow, but that specific dealer didn't even know how to replace the bulbs themselves, so I don't expect much of them inspecting the internals -

(thank you)
You can try going to the dealer but I don't think they will be much help since you are over you 3yr, 36000 miles warranty. The only way they will cover this is, if you mention that you had come in before for the same problem and the same problem is back, then they might warranty it, or goodwill I should say.

You can go as far as telling them that u smell burn't and are really concerned for your car, if u have a good dealer, hopefully they will work something out for you.

Seeing this reassures me in a way, when I bought my Camaro, I really wanted the HID headlights, after checking with the part department i noticed how expensive the headlamp assemblies were and how expensive the bulbs were so I got an SS without the RS package.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAbdul View Post

(thank you)
Please let us know what service was able to do for you. We are here if you have any questions at all!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 10-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #7
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I just don't understand how I keep hearing that a dealership doesn't know how to work on a piece of an automobile they sold. Every dealership has to have a set of service manuals for every model they sell. They have no choice, GM makes them have them on hand, just as with special tools. Sure, they may not know how to repair something from memory, but they have the service manuals to refer too. OK, rant over.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
DJ_BigC
Rockin' Steady

Now, not only was your post ignorant, but you are so misinformed its unbelievable.

No where in this world is there a dealership that can't service the vehicles they sell, it all boils down to how many times that dealer works on that specific model for whatever the problem may be, who they assign the work to, how many of these "fancy" vehicles they sell yearly and also if they are even qualified to do warranty work on these vehicles. Some small dealerships may only work on 2 Camaro's per year, maybe just for an oil change, and that dealership might have only sold 5-7 Camaro total since they were released in 2010. Now you tell me whats easier, working on the same type of vehicles every single day for common problems/regular maintenance, or working on the odd Camaro once every year or so for a customer concern that no one has ever seen or diagnosed before? You try diagnosing a rattle noise that's only heard when the customer sneezes, hits a bump while driving in circles in a parking lot all at once... You laugh now, but its is true, I have seen some crazy shit.

Specialty tools are also not always just "sent" to us at the dealer. GM doesn't provide us these tools like a continental breakfast at hotels. Most times we have to order them, they will send up the mandatory ones, but not always, we as a techs have to stay on top of that. The tech should read his SI page for removal and installation procedure of the work being performed and check before performing the repair to see if any specialty tools are needed. Do you honestly think GM will send Cadillac specialty tools to a dealer that doesn't sell or isn't qualified to do warranty work on a Cadillac.... NOPE. If the dealer is doing regular customer pay on the vehicle and they notice a special tool is needed, they will order it, but they wont order everything single one of them for that vehicle...

Service Information from GM is a guide to help us techs diagnose and repair vehicles in a somewhat efficient way. I would LOVE to watch you follow the instructions provided on screen and actually diagnose a tricky, intermittent electrical concern/problem. I would also LOVE to watch you follow the dash removal procedure in SI for the Camaro, not only is it completely wrong in many ways, they missed steps, bolts, clips and all sorts of stuff.

I'm just using these as examples, there are many more I can tell you about but my rant is over. People expect us to be robot parts changers that know everything, but were not. If people want things done right it takes time, experience and patience in most cases. If your dealer cant get their shit together, doesn't mean everyone else's dealer is like that and if you have a tech that worked on your car and ****ed up a whole bunch of stuff, it also doesn't mean that all other techs on this planet are idiots too. This trade, is not just a simple black and white picture.

2010 Camaro 2SS Black, L99, SLP headers, GMPP axle back, complete JRE tune, 22" Boss 337's, Nitto Invos 5% tint, Eforce Supercharger w. 3" pulley, ADM FPCM, ID850's, JRE fuel rail mod, Eforce CAI, Moroso catch can, spark plug insulators.