Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 08-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
Swytch

Drives: 10 2SS/RS Black, 99 Daktota
Sound Deadening the front doors

Hi all,

I am about to install some Alpine R-series component speakers in the front doors and have a question about sound deadening the doors. When applying the dynamat are you guys removing the thick plastic sheet that is glued onto the door stock, or are you just dynamating right over it?

Thanks in advance fellas
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Swytch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
remove the plastic sheet. also do what you can but with dynamat you do not need to do the whole door. focus on and around the speaker. i mean you can do the whole door if you want. i did some of the door just not all of it. i found the weak spots put the mat, mine is gaped through out the door, but behind the speaker is fully covered
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Swytch

Sweet, thanks for the tips. Cant wait to get the new speakers in and forget about blowing these stupid stockers up... Boston Acoustics "Premium" audio my fat rear end.
Kooks Signature Series Headers 1-3/4 stepped to 1 7/8, Kooks 3" High Flow Cats, Vararam OTR Cold Air Intake, JRE Performance Tune, RX Catch Can, RX Oil Breather, LSR Tri-Ax short throw shifter, AAC Red/White Halos and Fog Rings, AAC Knight Rider Scanner Bar

Old 08-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #4
tbone587

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Take off the black protective covering and dynamat under that and reinstall the cover after. I just did my doors the other day and used 12 sq feet per door. I covered the inner and outer shell and double layed directly behind the speaker.
tbone587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
How big of an improvement did you guys see with road noise and such? I have a sheet of FatMat lying around the house and have been debating doing the doors.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
06blownSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
How big of an improvement did you guys see with road noise and such? I have a sheet of FatMat lying around the house and have been debating doing the doors.
I don't have my Camaro's doors done yet but my last car showed a HUGE improvement when I did the doors and behind the speaker. Dynamat makes everything better.
Black on Black on Black 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3;K&N intake, Dynatech 1 7/8 catted LTs, Borla S Cat Back, Eibach prokit, Pfadt rear trailing arms, ZL-1 driveline, BTR Stage III Cam, Tuned by Performance Redline 444.1whp & 442.9 ft-lb
06blownSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
You only need about 25% coverage. Any more than that and you're just adding extra weight.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #8
wal-dog

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red 1SS
http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

Here's how Raamat suggests doing it.
wal-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Decibel JJ
Car nut

Drives: Tahoe Z71, Race cars
Put the plastic back on when you're done. It's a water and air barrier.

Small coverage is fine, but with sound deadiining, the more the merrier. It adds weight sure, but I've made a 71' Hemi Cuda sound like a Lexus inside for instance.

R.I.P. Evan .. A true Friend
Decibel JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
1FAST SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone587 View Post
Take off the black protective covering and dynamat under that and reinstall the cover after. I just did my doors the other day and used 12 sq feet per door. I covered the inner and outer shell and double layed directly behind the speaker.
Same way I did mine.

CAI Cold Air Induction, ADM Race Scoop, Apex Washer Bottle Kit, Vengeance Racing Kaotic Cam, DOD/VVT delete and LS3 conversion, American Racing LT Headers, American Racing Headers Off Road pipes, Borla S-Type Catback, FTI Billet Triple Disk 3600 rpm Torque Converter, DSS Aluminium Drive Shaft, AAC Plasma DRL's, Showstopper LED Sidemarkers,Carbon FIber Bow Ties, 35% Window Tint, Llyod's Floor Mats, JBL MS-8 Sound Processor, 2 Alpine PDX-1.600, Alpine PDX-4.100, JL Audio C5-650, JL Audio C5-650x, Alpine T10 Type R Shallow Mount, Stinger Dry Cell Battery
1FAST SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:25 AM   #11
Swytch

Got the doors done this weekend. New speakers sound awesome, something i wasn't expecting though was the rattle from the damn dome light casing. Spent a good hour cutting little pieces of dynamat for the housing. Everything sound tight now except the rear deck. I'll have to live with that problem until i can find a new amp harness to replace the amplifier and rear speakers (dang it ********, i wish i had known you had limited quantities of harnesses :( ).

Interesting note, my car is an M6 with a sunroof. If i take off hard from a stop, the sunroof cover pops back about an inch and a half, without that closed i still get rattles from the dome light.. sigh.. close enough for now i guess tho.