Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 12-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #15
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcsi99 View Post
I agree. I thought you were implying the mods didn't mean anything as far as the warranty.
Sorry... I went from a different angle... I just traded in my 2010 in beautiful shape with about $2500 in mods and had to walk away from them..

They can only hold them against you, as already stated, if they can prove the mod directly contributed to the failure/damage.

They will not warrant mods.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:28 PM   #16
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
Like I said, she's a gorgeous car. Not a lot of 1LEs around here either. Their trade offer for my current ride was fair. The shop that did the mods is certainly well known. I'm confused about the lack of a CEL if no tune was done. I'm simply not up to speed on that.

Any input on fair price for the car as I listed the options? 2 new rear tires as well.
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
The dealer might have cleared the light and the car hasn't run its self test yet, or it will be a problem in a year when the computer doesn't like the high flow cats.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #18
adrwhi
MonstaBGP

Drives: Shadow
Ask the dealer for 600 to get a professional tune. Then move foward...
adrwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #19
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I'm not sure how they can sell the car certified. I thought that a certified car had factory warranty and this car is modded. I would look at the checklist to see what makes a vehicle certified.
If I was looking at a used vehicle, I would bring my own scanner and check for codes.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
MikeL84

Drives: 2014 Berger 2SS RS 1LE
Its a big grey area. If you can get them to warrenty it with mods then do so. Also depends if this is a actual GM dealership or some home town car lot that got it on trade? Dealerships tend to back up the work on the car. I think they are bullshitting you on 500hp, thats a big stretch. Headers, tune, and exhaust wont get you close to 500hp. Maybe and a very very slim maybe flywheel hp. This being said tho i have a dealer performance car and they provide all paper work and is still covered under warrenty. But also im very good friends with my service guy and know everyone in the back by name as they do me. I have close to $90k in my car. Purchase, mods, work, etc. All covered if something breaks or if i walk in and want a oil change. You get what you pay for!
MikeL84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:36 AM   #21
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I'm not sure how they can sell the car certified. I thought that a certified car had factory warranty and this car is modded. I would look at the checklist to see what makes a vehicle certified.
If I was looking at a used vehicle, I would bring my own scanner and check for codes.
It's pretty much impossible to sell this vehicle as CPO..

The dealer is looking at a great opportunity to dump a modded car in a situation where otherwise would be worth probably $5000 UNDER book value.

Low ball the crap out of them and see what they will do..
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #22
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
That's what I thought. Certified used vehicles are held to certain standards, the factory warranty being one of them. If it is really a certified vehicle , maybe just use that against them if anything was to "break"? Idk, good luck op.
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 11:49 AM   #23
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Technically, a warranty is still intact until proven that a failure resulted from your changes to the car.

Of course, today's cars are very dependent on computers to deliver appropriate ratios and pressures to the engine and other components. If the computer is compromised by a tune, GM cannot validate that components received the supply they need, and so your warranty for related parts are void.

If you slap a spoiler on your car and piston shoots out of your hood, that's obviously not your fault; however, if you do a tune and the same thing happens, it would be very challenging and time-consuming to prove that your tune did not directly cause the same failure. As a result, the manufacturer would likely declare your warranty void.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:58 PM   #24
Mach83

Drives: 2015 2SS RS 1LE
They would only move 500 on the asking price, refused to put the warranty in writing, and continued stating that things rarely go wrong with these cars, unless abused, so I should be fine. They also stated that obviously if something went wrong with headers, cats, or exhaust themselves, that wouldn't be covered. They said that the OEM sells upgraded exhaust etc so pushing more HP via other mods wouldn't void the warranty.

Bottom line is that JRE warns on their paperwork that w/o tune the original owner risked the CEL. Dealer said of course that tune wasn't required - but if I had it done after purchase it should still be ok warranty wise later on.

I sat on it this past week. Stopped by today and was told it sold last night via the internet. That's ok. I just can't stomach paying almost 36K for a 'certified' car that would be a struggle to get coverage on the drivetrain should something happen.

Also - they stated that they can look in the computer and see if it was a missed shift or even if it had a tune that was subsequently brought back to stock. How much non-volatile memory do these things have now related to that statement?
Mach83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:53 AM   #25
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach83 View Post
Also - they stated that they can look in the computer and see if it was a missed shift or even if it had a tune that was subsequently brought back to stock. How much non-volatile memory do these things have now related to that statement?
They can see a missed shift from the computer or that a missed shift caused a CEL? Either way I find both very hard to believe. This dealer sounds horrible. They can tell you want the car and that's the reason they will hardly move off the price. That salesman doesn't really want to sell that car.....that's what it sounds like to me.

Also long tube headers do throw a CEL..........high flow cats alone throw a CEL.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:09 AM   #26
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Technically, a warranty is still intact until proven that a failure resulted from your changes to the car.

Of course, today's cars are very dependent on computers to deliver appropriate ratios and pressures to the engine and other components. If the computer is compromised by a tune, GM cannot validate that components received the supply they need, and so your warranty for related parts are void.

If you slap a spoiler on your car and piston shoots out of your hood, that's obviously not your fault; however, if you do a tune and the same thing happens, it would be very challenging and time-consuming to prove that your tune did not directly cause the same failure. As a result, the manufacturer would likely declare your warranty void.
This... So many people act like once you tune your warranty is automatically "voided" even if nothing major goes wrong with the car and that's simply not how it works. The odds of getting warranty coverage if you blow your engine? Slim... But still.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:42 AM   #27
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach83 View Post
They would only move 500 on the asking price, refused to put the warranty in writing, and continued stating that things rarely go wrong with these cars, unless abused, so I should be fine. They also stated that obviously if something went wrong with headers, cats, or exhaust themselves, that wouldn't be covered. They said that the OEM sells upgraded exhaust etc so pushing more HP via other mods wouldn't void the warranty.

Bottom line is that JRE warns on their paperwork that w/o tune the original owner risked the CEL. Dealer said of course that tune wasn't required - but if I had it done after purchase it should still be ok warranty wise later on.

I sat on it this past week. Stopped by today and was told it sold last night via the internet. That's ok. I just can't stomach paying almost 36K for a 'certified' car that would be a struggle to get coverage on the drivetrain should something happen.

This is the one at Terryville Chevrolet right? I'm the guy from the Internet. I was going to install the Borla anyway so that didn't bother me. Might have gone with different brand of headers though. You've seen and driven the car- how much were you willing to pay?
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #28
CTSVBiggie

Drives: 2013 1LE
My car is CAI/LT headers/tune. And I recently broke an axle(normal driving). And it was almost declined due to "abuse" since the headers couldnt have possibly ruined an axle.

Im just lucky they covered it. Tempted to get my money back on the long ass extended bumper to bumper if they wont even cover an axle without days of "checking" with GM.