Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Iacocca rips auto industry, warns: Don't sell Chrysler

Iacocca rips auto industry, warns: Don't sell Chrysler
April 12, 2007

BY JUSTIN HYDE

FREE PRESS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Former Chrysler Chairman Lee Iacocca tears into the Bush administration and the U.S. auto industry in a new book, saying America's political leaders have failed the nation and urging voters to pick more carefully in 2008.

The 82-year-old Iacocca -- who was urged to run for president in the 1980s after turning around Chrysler -- also says he's for higher federal fuel-economy standards, warns that Chrysler could become a "shattered remnant" if sold and offers suggestions for Detroit's automakers to turn their businesses around.

"We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car," Iacocca and coauthor Catherine Whitney write in the first page of "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?"

"I hardly recognize this country anymore," he wrote.

The book, Iacocca's first in more than a decade, combines a name-dropping memoir, business advice and harangues about politics and the state of the U.S. economy that sound more like filmmaker Michael Moore than the man who shot campaign ads for Republican gubernatorial candidate Dick DeVos last year.

Iacocca, who did not return a message seeking comment, eases up on the auto industry, critiquing its decisions but praising General Motors Corp. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner and Chrysler Group President Tom LaSorda. He even calls GM Vice Chairman Bob Lutz, who chafed when Iacocca passed him over for the top job at Chrysler, a "savvy veteran."

He saves his most blistering criticisms for former Chrysler Chairman Bob Eaton and Juergen Schrempp, the former head of Daimler-Benz who oversaw the DaimlerChrysler merger. Iacocca describes the morning in 1998 when he found out about the merger as "the lowest low. ... I gave 15 years of my life to saving that company, and now I wondered if it was worth it."

He admits to scaring Eaton by supporting billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian's 1995 bid to take Chrysler private. Eaton and Chrysler's board fought off that bid, but Eaton was concerned that Chrysler needed a partner to survive and Daimler-Benz was the most willing alternative. Iacocca says Eaton was outmaneuvered by Schrempp and gave up Chrysler's heritage too easily, allowing Daimler to buy Chrysler rather than form a true merger of equals.

Those feelings eased a bit when Dieter Zetsche arrived as chief executive at Chrysler in 2000 and sought out Iacocca for advice. Iacocca praises Zetsche, but warns that the damage done to Chrysler may be irreversible.

"I'll always believe that if I hadn't chosen Bob Eaton to succeed me as chief executive at Chrysler, it would still be a strong, profitable, American car company," Iacocca writes. He warns that if Chrysler "is kicked to the curb, it will be a shattered remnant of the great American car company it once was."

Eaton could not be reached for comment.

As for the rest of the auto industry, Iacocca advises several strategies for turning business around, including building smaller cars and hiring smarter executives. He says higher fuel-economy standards and a gas tax would help reduce oil consumption, and that the Detroit automakers will not succeed in the long term without agreements from the government and the United Auto Workers on pensions and health care costs.

Since retiring from Chrysler in 1992, Iacocca has dabbled in several ventures, from electric bikes to olive oil, never shying from the spotlight or the occasional stunt. Before Chrysler resurrected his career as an auto pitchman in 2005 with ads starring him and rapper Snoop Dogg, Iacocca had freelanced, riding one of his electric bikes around TV talk-show host David Letterman's studio in New York.

Iacocca's political history has as much seesawing as his post-Chrysler career. He was a good friend of Ronald Reagan, but became an avowed Democrat after Republicans opposed the Chrysler bailout in 1980. He turned down Democratic offers to run for president and attacked Al Gore's environmental positions in 2000, but backed John Kerry in 2004 and praises Bill Clinton in his book.

Iacocca admits that he campaigned for Bush in 2000, because he was a friend of his father, and discussed becoming ambassador to Italy with the White House. But the first 20 pages of the book are devoted to a blistering critique of the president and his policies on Iraq and other issues.

"George Bush doesn't have common sense. He just has a lot of sound bites," Iacocca writes after listing his "nine C's of leadership" and the ways in which the president fails on each. Bush "prides himself on being faith-based, not reality based. If that doesn't scare the crap out of you, I don't know what will."

White House spokesman Alex Conant said the administration "does not do book reviews."

Contact JUSTIN HYDE at 202-906-8204 or jhyde@freepress.com.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 PM   #2
Moosen75

Drives: Junk til 2008
Send a message via AIM to Moosen75
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLER74Z28 View Post
"We've got a gang of clueless bozos steering our ship of state right over a cliff, we've got corporate gangsters stealing us blind and we can't even clean up after a hurricane much less build a hybrid car," Iacocca and coauthor Catherine Whitney write in the first page of "Where Have All the Leaders Gone?"

"I hardly recognize this country anymore," he wrote.
You go Lee!!!!
Moosen75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Those are the kinds of people we need guiding our country and our buisnesses. People who actually give a crap. Not these Airheads who want thier names down in the books. My exceptions include Rick Wagoner, and Bob Lutz. And Hillary Clinton, and Bill Clinton, and Arnold Shwartz-in-hagger-something, and Elliot Spitzer, and any others like them that I didn't list...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:43 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Those are some strong words up there. Personally, I like the sound of them. I'd be pissed too if something I worked on for 15 years was tossed down the drain. I want to hear more from him! Good quotes!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Moosen75

Drives: Junk til 2008
Send a message via AIM to Moosen75
Easy way of fixing this i would think would to make a position in the White House and place a guy like Lutz or Iacocca that would oversee future government plans for transportation industry other than what the department of transportation says. The position would be something like a advisor/mediator. The government needs to work with the auto industry not against them. And it helps to have someone in this position i just made up to have a good knowledge of CARS and the INDUSTRY, not somebody who is Bush's old friend with some money. Lets get the Lutz, Iacocca presidental ticket going. lol
Moosen75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosen75 View Post
Easy way of fixing this i would think would to make a position in the White House and place a guy like Lutz or Iacocca that would oversee future government plans for transportation industry other than what the department of transportation says. The position would be something like a advisor/mediator. The government needs to work with the auto industry not against them. And it helps to have someone in this position i just made up to have a good knowledge of CARS and the INDUSTRY, not somebody who is Bush's old friend with some money. Lets get the Lutz, Iacocca presidental ticket going. lol
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Great idea...but again: "nucler"

Some people just aren't as bright as us you know. We know nothing, just lowly peasants.....ooops! I meant citizens who think they're actually choosing leaders...damn! I mean electing the president to make our decisions for us. We need big smart people like Cheney and Bush who know what they're doing.