Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 03-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #1
Tennis_pro

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Coolant Change ZL1

Just wondering if the process for a coolant change on a ZL1 is just like any other car. Reason I ask is because I know there is coolant going into the supercharger, and the supercharger has a pump. I have never done a coolant change on a supercharged car before, so I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything when I do this.

If I do a regular coolant change, just draining the system, filling it and then bleeding the system, does that take care of everything for the ZL1? Does that take care of the supercharger coolant too, or is that a separate process?

Thanks in advance guys!
Tennis_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:42 AM   #2
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Supercharger is a separate system and is a bit of a pain to get all the air out of the system. Much easier if you have a separate reservoir like the one D3 makes.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
mmarx82

Drives: '12 ZL1 #1609
The supercharger is separate from the normal radiator flush. The fill cap is under the engine lid. If I remember properly, there is no drain on the stock heat exchanger. which between that and the tiny fill cap is why most people switch it out with their own and with a reservoir. The correct way, and you won't like this, is to take it to the dealership and they hook it up to their machine to pull out the old fluid and replace with new.

If you just want to top it off you do that from the tiny fill cap line at the top. Because of the poor design there it could take awhile to get it to where there is no air in the system.

If you ever want to mod the car, a different heat exchanger with an reservoir makes a world of difference, I went with the D3PE setup myself but there are several good ones suggested on the forums.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
Tennis_pro

Good info, thanks guys. So for a coolant change, I just do it the regular way like any other car, and that will change all the coolant except the coolant in the superchsrger, right?

I know the coolant interval change is like 5 years. Is there an interval for the supercharger coolant? What is the interval for the superchsrger coolant?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:48 PM   #5
Tennis_pro

So guys, is the coolant change for the ZL1 just like the regular 6.2 engine without the super charger? If I do a regular coolant change and bleed, would that be doing anything to the coolant the super charger uses?

Also, what is the coolant change interval for the super charger coolant?
Old 03-13-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
Black Market Racing

Drives: Yours
We are in the process of building a coolant tank for the ZL1 that drastically lowers intake temps and gives great HP gains.. As a matter of fact, if you track your car at all, you can add ice to the box and gain (from our last dyno run with and without ice) 60hp!

Black Market Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Tennis_pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Market Racing View Post
We are in the process of building a coolant tank for the ZL1 that drastically lowers intake temps and gives great HP gains.. As a matter of fact, if you track your car at all, you can add ice to the box and gain (from our last dyno run with and without ice) 60hp!

Hey man thanks for the heads up on that. I'm not planning on modding or tracking my car though. I just wanted to know about the coolant change for the ZL1. Thanks though!