Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 AM   #15
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Having worked as a dealership technician, I can tell you that we had a fairly large(25 techs) maintenance department, and 0 technicians who had replaced a convertible top. Our body shop even sent our convertible top work out. If your dealership has no technicians who have replaced a top, and they plan on sending it out, take this advice:
1. Find out what company will do the work.
2. Ask to talk with the manager of the company to see if he is comfortable with the install.
3. If anything feels wrong, reqauest your dealership to send in the before mentioned GM guys.

I have installed one convertible top on my daughters Lebaron, and from that experience I have found that it is a major pain in the as$, and if it is your first time doing it, better a 2k kids car rather than a 35k+ customers car.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #16
deryk
Cruisin the Golden State!

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82xx View Post
So, I can see that this is going to be a long and tedious process to get this issue resolved. Wish me luck.
Any luck with trying to bring the existing TSBs to their attention? I have mine printed and ready to go. They should be obliged to perform TSB fixes as long as the symptoms are there right?

Man, this is what worries me about my upcoming service appointment for the rub marks. Thankfully, the service manager at least mentioned that they've dealt with the wrinkle issues before.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 AM   #17
cactuseater

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
You do not have to have your car farmed out to a shop. Request a district rep to oversee the top fix. If they refuse, open up a case with GM. Trust us on this one. We have been through it.
AGREED.
cactuseater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:21 AM   #18
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikess581 View Post
DO NOT let them send your car to a trim shop!!! If the top needs replacing DEMAND a GM engineer to do the job. Trust me I know of wich I speak. The top shops have no experience with these tops and do not care to follow the directions from GM

I FIRMLY second this. GM bought my car back in large part due to a replacement done by an outsourced trim shop!

I understand the frustration, but chances are you'll have more of it if you go the outsourced shop route.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #19
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Interesting

It is fascinating to me that:

1) GM (at the factory) can install the top and it look perfect and fit perfect

2) But a "shop" that installs convertible tops CAN'T do it.

There is likely an exact "Sequence of Operations", regarding what has to be done to install the new top.

There needs to be a "Sequence of Operations" for REMOVING the top also.

If the body shops HAD THIS, I bet anyone could install these tops.

But If body shops are working WITHOUT ANY kind of installation manual, then I am thinking it's not totally their fault that they can't do it.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
When the factory is installing the top though the whole mechanism is one. When the shops are fixining them, they are taking the old canvas off and replacing it. The bows can get bent and out of shape doing this. Nutt had his whole assembly replaced. Much easier working with all new parts on a car then part new, and part old.
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #21
American
top down on PCH

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
When the factory is installing the top though the whole mechanism is one. When the shops are fixining them, they are taking the old canvas off and replacing it. The bows can get bent and out of shape doing this. Nutt had his whole assembly replaced. Much easier working with all new parts on a car then part new, and part old.
I have mine at the dealer now having the top replaced because of the infamous hole. I dropped it off there on Monday and they provided me with a new Silverado to drive until they get done. I did not find out until yesterday that they sent it to an outside upholstery shop for the repairs. When I voiced my concerns about having a non GM shop do the work, I was told they have been using the same shop for more than 10 years, and they are confident he will do it right. The service rep initially told me the job should be complete in a day, and I told him their upholstery huy must be David Copperfield because from what I have read, it takes a magician to get these done right. So far, the dealer has been very good about taking one look at my top, and agreeing it needs to be replaced. The rep called me yesterday and said it was taking a little longer than they thought, but it should be done today. I told him I wasn't going to rush them, and to take the time they need to make it right. Now I am waiting to see the outcome. When I do go back to pick it up, I'm definitely going to open and close it about 10 times before I leave their lot just to make sure it operates properly. At this point, all I can do is hope for the best and deal with whatever happens.
American is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #22
Chris82xx
Make your peace with God!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6 Convertible
I know that people have their concerns about dealerships sending their cars to a trim shop, but it seems like the only option. The chances of a trim shop making it worse are there, but having an inexperienced technician work on it is probably even worse. I would like to arm myself when I go to my appointment with the TSB's, however I'm having problems finding them. Could someone send me a link to them please. When I do get my car documented, I am going to call GM to try to avoid a huge headache, but I doubt that they will have someone come out right away to do the repair without having the dealership try their hand at it first.

I have faith that GM will rectify this. I did just remember one thing too. Even though I have a warranty on the top, as the service manager reminded me several times, a TSB is for the life of the car, so even if nothing ever does happen to anyone else within the 3/36,000, a TSB will always supercede a warranty and can be repaired at anytime as long as it falls in the TSB.
Chris82xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #23
American
top down on PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
I have mine at the dealer now having the top replaced because of the infamous hole. I dropped it off there on Monday and they provided me with a new Silverado to drive until they get done. I did not find out until yesterday that they sent it to an outside upholstery shop for the repairs. When I voiced my concerns about having a non GM shop do the work, I was told they have been using the same shop for more than 10 years, and they are confident he will do it right. The service rep initially told me the job should be complete in a day, and I told him their upholstery huy must be David Copperfield because from what I have read, it takes a magician to get these done right. So far, the dealer has been very good about taking one look at my top, and agreeing it needs to be replaced. The rep called me yesterday and said it was taking a little longer than they thought, but it should be done today. I told him I wasn't going to rush them, and to take the time they need to make it right. Now I am waiting to see the outcome. When I do go back to pick it up, I'm definitely going to open and close it about 10 times before I leave their lot just to make sure it operates properly. At this point, all I can do is hope for the best and deal with whatever happens.
Well my service rep just called me, and my vert wont be ready today because they had to order another part (he didn't know which part). I'm not surprised and I shared with him that everything I have read about these repairs is they only seem to get them right when they fly out a GM tech to do the repairs. He just silently listened to me, and then told me it would be done tomorrow . Something tells me I will still have the Silverado through the weekend, but we shall see.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Chris82xx

The dealership "looked" at my car. They decided that it wasn't serious enough to make any necessary repairs. Turns out they didn't even document my visit. Gloves are now off. I called GM stated and stated my case. The rep called up the dealership who verified everything I said. Even the rep was concerned as to why nothing was documented. I now have a case with GM and was told that a district rep would be calling me in the next 24 hours. I couldn't express enough how the car is only 3 months old and is showing rub marks and wear marks. I'm just trying to avoid a further headache in the future by getting my car fixed NOW. I also told GM that I do not like the idea of the dealership sending the car to a trim shop. That the repair should be done in house.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
American
top down on PCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Well my service rep just called me, and my vert wont be ready today because they had to order another part (he didn't know which part). I'm not surprised and I shared with him that everything I have read about these repairs is they only seem to get them right when they fly out a GM tech to do the repairs. He just silently listened to me, and then told me it would be done tomorrow . Something tells me I will still have the Silverado through the weekend, but we shall see.
Well, I picked it up on Friday, and the top looked great, nice and tight with no holes or rub marks. I was told I should wait 3 days before operating the top, so the sun would help stretch it, etc. (I know, we've heard this before). Yesterday, at the end of that magical 3 day waiting period, I pull her out and take her for a drive with the top down. It was a nice drive, but when I brought her home and closed the top I noticed the same ol indentations and beginning of rub marks. It was obvious they had ...not replaced the suspect brackets, or even tried to shave them down and tape them. Additionally, on the passenger side near the side rear window, the fabric was folded back and not closing properly. First thing this morning, I armed myself with a stack of TSB's that 95birdible had previously hooked me up with (thank you birdie!!) and dropped her back off at the dealer. I told them I wanted the rental car back (which they obliged), and I wanted them to keep my car until it is properly repaired. What blows my mind is that this dealership is a reputable dealership in the Southern California area, and they tell me they have never heard of these vert top issues (can this be true or are they full of it?) Doesn't GM ensure its dealerships communicate with each other throughout the country so they can keep abreast of issues and provide good customer service? Well, so far this dealer is at least acting like they care and want to make it right. I just hope they can follow through....I have been mildly arguing back and forth with them about the brackets they need to either change or redesign, but I'm trying to be careful because I want to maintain a cordial relationship with them. At this point, I'm being told they are taking care of everything, but I did call the toll free GM number and received a case number from the GM rep. I'm hoping for the best.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #26
jsherm007
Always drop the top

Drives: 2014 Stingray Vert 2LT z51
How likely is it my 2012 I bought will get this issue? Feel bad for all you having issues. Who knows I may be one of ya later this year :/
jsherm007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
Chris82xx

Once a TSB is issued by a company, a dealership is suppose to recognize it and let you know about it. With enough complaints, a TSB turns into a recall. So if the dealership is telling you they know nothing about it, they're lying straight to your face.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #28
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
TSB's come out all the time, they can be as important as major engine failures, to as insignifigant as a change in warranty reimbursment. If the dealership has sold 10 verts, and only 1 has come back, they may not have reviewed the TSB's on the verts. The technician should search for TSB's prior to making a repair, or the Parts department may learn of the TSB when they try to order parts and get an updated part #. While some service writers read over the list of TSB's that come out to better help their customers, most don't untill it is brought to their attention.