Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #155
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
Speed, sound like it will be a few days till you can wipe that smile off your face! That's the whole reason to do it, for the fun.

It won't be long and the first part on your car you'll have to replace is the rear view mirror. You'll wear it out looking at the faces of the Vett & Stang owners!

I think your times would come down quite a bit if you were putting the HP to the pavement. Back when I had my 86 Z on the bottle, I couldn't touch "the button" till 35+ MPH or the tire would melt.

Sounds like some good advice from the others here contributing, that's the whole reason for the forum!

Lingenfelter Performance Engineering has been great to deal with for me too. Kevin and I talked last week about getting my car to hook up and longevity of the transmission. I think we have a package coming together nicely. I'll post another thread as I don't want to high-jack yours.

Continued luck and drive safe!
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #156
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
Hi Speed,
Driving around the water box will help a LOT with street tires. Like rpepka said, the water gets in the tread and makes the launch off the line suck as the tires will have a puddle beneath them at the starting line.

Spin the tires (burnout) to clean them off. It's not going to matter how long you do your burnout with the street tires. I would recommend a short burnout ) 3 seconds or less unless you want to replace the rear tires really quickly.

With Drag slicks, you do the burnout to get some heat into the tire and clean them. A longer burnout makes a difference with slicks - the rubber will get real gummy on a slick after the burnout and will help to hook up the car.

what RPM are you launching off the line at? you will want the lowest possible rpm that allows the tires to grab. I am guessing, but I would say somewhere around 1500 rpm or so and roll into the throttle to allow the tires to grab.

As far as Traction control, put the car into Competitive mode. this turns off traction control but keeps the active handling and ABS on in case you get out of control, it will save you from hitting the wall.

The above worked pretty well with my 2005 Corvette. I don't remember the times that one ran.

Your 60' time should be down around 1.8ish (at least) with street tires if you don't spin the tires. you could be lower than that, but with the 20" rim/tire combination I wouldn't expect much lower than that.

The 20's look good for the street, but will be terrible for drag racing or AutoX.

One of my other cars is a 1992 Camaro setup for drag racing. It has a 540CI engine making 900 HP on an engine dyno. Car is setup for Super street (best run to date is 9.57 at 148 MPH). 60' time is 1.57 with a 12" wide slick.

Thanks for the info - hooking up is definatley the problem and I probably made it worse with a 5-7 second burnout. They spray the water all the way accross the burnout box, so I may have to drive through it, I will see next time I go. I was launching between 2500 and 3000 rpms, still maybe a little too high. My car definately got a lot of attention that night. It was a very fun 4 hours and I love to watch other cars run too, no matter what time they get. There was a 69 Camaro running a 9.68, that thing was awesome as well. I can't imagine the feeling you get in those cars..
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #157
Speed74SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy City View Post
Speed, sound like it will be a few days till you can wipe that smile off your face! That's the whole reason to do it, for the fun.

It won't be long and the first part on your car you'll have to replace is the rear view mirror. You'll wear it out looking at the faces of the Vett & Stang owners!

I think your times would come down quite a bit if you were putting the HP to the pavement. Back when I had my 86 Z on the bottle, I couldn't touch "the button" till 35+ MPH or the tire would melt.

Sounds like some good advice from the others here contributing, that's the whole reason for the forum!

Lingenfelter Performance Engineering has been great to deal with for me too. Kevin and I talked last week about getting my car to hook up and longevity of the transmission. I think we have a package coming together nicely. I'll post another thread as I don't want to high-jack yours.

Continued luck and drive safe!
I can't tell you how many people that I have had come up and check the car out. I took the Camaro badges off of the side and just have the SS in the back and have had a few people pull up next to me and ask me what kind of car it was. It is cool to see people in your rear view mirror point and see them talking about the car.

I love these forums for the information and experience that people can share. It will definatley help me!!

I look forward to seeing the thread on the "hook-up" and tranny life. Should be very interesting and something I may invest in. I will be tuned in!!!

Now I have to figure out how to remove a small ding and paint chip that my wife inflicted on my car this morning while opening her car door. I also got my first rock chip in the window this last week. It is about the size of a dime and it was fixed pretty well, so I don't even hardly see it. It is off to the bottom left of the window. I am definately going to have to do something about the small dent and chip though - that really bothers me knowing it is there.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM   #158
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed74SS View Post
Now I have to figure out how to remove a small ding and paint chip that my wife inflicted on my car this morning while opening her car door. I am definately going to have to do something about the small dent and chip though - that really bothers me knowing it is there.
OK, be calm, don't call the divorce attorney yet! I'm sure you can find a decent plastic surgeon near you!
JK, I'm sure she feels bad enough. Great to hear about all the fun you are having!
Windy City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #159
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
One of the very nicest Camaro builds yet...

You keep promising pics and vids... then just tease us with a phone pic here and there. Awesome thread but....

Old 08-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #160
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
I hate reading these threads. I don't know why I do it to myself. I have another 18 months before I can get my replacement Camaro. Nice car and nice install. It is great to here that your experiance at LPE was good. I will doing something simular to my car with in the next few months. Cant wait. Keep us posted!!!
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #161
rpepka

Drives: 2013 ZL1 # 2195
Quote:
Originally Posted by upheval View Post
I hate reading these threads. I don't know why I do it to myself. I have another 18 months before I can get my replacement Camaro. Nice car and nice install. It is great to here that your experiance at LPE was good. I will doing something simular to my car with in the next few months. Cant wait. Keep us posted!!!
Replacement Camaro?
rpepka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #162
khislop007
ZEUSS

Drives: Hard!
Quote:
Here are a couple videos from LPE and on my way home and a picture from the drags last night.

Attachment 46072
SWEET!
Old 08-17-2009, 03:16 AM   #163
upheval
All over the planet

Drives: 2007 C6 M6 Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpepka View Post
Replacement Camaro?
Ya, unfortunately I had to part with my 2002 SS SLP due to X, so I have been chomping at the bit waiting for the new one to come out. Should have all the cash for the car with in the next 18 months, but for now all I can do is read stuff like this to make me crazy!
Full Exhaust Magna Charger Dyno'd Tuned 543RWHP 489RWTQ
2011 2500HD 6.6 4X4 Z71 397HP 767TQ Factory
Waiting on the ZL1
upheval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:26 AM   #164
salohi

Drives: 90 Black Camaro, 02 Sable
more vid please
salohi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #165
Speed74SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
One of the very nicest Camaro builds yet...

You keep promising pics and vids... then just tease us with a phone pic here and there. Awesome thread but....

Sorry - I was really bummed out when I got my picture disc back and I couldn't open it because the disc was bad. I will get some soon
Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #166
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Sorry - I was really bummed out when I got my picture disc back and I couldn't open it because the disc was bad. I will get some soon
No worries... we love your car...
Old 08-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #167
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Man that in car accelleration vid sounds GREAT!!!

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #168
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Wow! That black C6 is just plain bad-ass looking!!!!
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote