Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Which of the following TCS options do you use when you need more speed/power?
You Prefer Competitive Mode(hitting the TCS button twice) 42 46.15%
You Prefer Disabling TC completely (hitting the TCS button once) 49 53.85%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2011, 10:34 PM   #1
mrosa

Drives: 2012 SS2 Camaro
Competitive mode Vs. Disabling TC completely: For Speed/Power

It seems like there are still many people that think there is more power/speed with Competitive Mode in comparison to turning off TC completely. So I'd like to get some verification/opinions/feedback on the below on-going experiment i'm doing in comparing the power and speed of "Competitive Mode"(hitting TCS button twice) to the power and speed you get when disabling TC completely(hitting TCS button once):

When I picked up my new 2012 2SS Camaro(Automatic V8) the other day the dealer described the difference like this: "If you hit the TCS/Stabilitrak button twice you will be in Competitive Mode which will provide you more power and speed while also maintaining some control. However if you hit the button once then BE CAREFUL because you will turn off TractionControl and Stabilitrak completely and the car will be ridiculously fast but you may kill yourself". So obviously the first thing I did after pulling out of the lot was to hit that TCS button once to turn off TC completely... and I was pretty impressed, the car was MUCH faster and I actually went sideways thru the intersection. I then tested out the competitive mode and hit the button twice and noticed a loss in speed and power in comparison.

And furthermore I read on a few forum posts that the more experienced racers prefer to have the most control and power, and thus prefer turning off TC completely(hitting the button once), as opposed to the more novice racers that say they rely on competitve mode as something similiar to "training wheels" so they won't lose control and fly off the track. So that being said you would think that the Chevy marketing folks would advertise the option of disabling TC completely(hitting the button once) as "Competitive Mode(since it is faster)" instead and then perhaps document the current "competitive Mode"(hitting the button twice) option as a "training mode" or something.

I'd like to hear back on what other folks think(and YES ive read the manual cover to cover in regard to the sections on "Competitive Mode", Stabilitrak and TCS). I'm most interested in finding out what other people's experiences have been and if there are possibly any performance tests that have been done that show exactly how much speed/power is associated with driving with TC disabled(one button push) verse competitive mode(2 button pushes). NOTE: I also added a POLL at the top of this thread that you can use to vote for which option you personally use most often when you have the need for more speed/power.

P.S. And there is still one other option I have not looked into yet, which is buying a Tuner to boost speed and performance.. however I'll save that for a seperate thread/discussion since those can be pricey and I'd like to investigate these current options that come with the vehicle first.

Last edited by mrosa; 09-22-2011 at 10:55 PM.
mrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
SS_Matt
permagrin

Drives: 2012 LS3 SS/RS
Old 09-22-2011, 11:12 PM   #3
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
+1
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The OP is full of misinterpreted information.
Quote:
When I picked up my new 2012 2SS Camaro(Automatic V8) the other day the dealer described the difference like this: "If you hit the TCS/Stabilitrak button twice you will be in Competitive Mode which will provide you more power and speed while also maintaining some control. However if you hit the button once then BE CAREFUL because you will turn off TractionControl and Stabilitrak completely and the car will be ridiculously fast but you may kill yourself"

Quote:
And furthermore I read on a few forum posts that the more experienced racers prefer to have the most control and power, and thus prefer turning off TC completely(hitting the button once), as opposed to the more novice racers that say they rely on competitve mode as something similiar to "training wheels" so they won't lose control and fly off the track.
I have never once read or heard of any drivers referring to competitive mode as "training wheels". While yes, in turning TC off you do increase your chances of gong sideways and possibly wrecking the car. That does NOT mean that turning TC off gives you more power. As nothing engine nor tune wise in the car is changing. All that changes is that your car's computer stops controlling how much power each wheel gets.

I realize that I use the phrase "how much power each wheel gets" while stating that you're not actually getting more power. Let me explain. TC works through a computer sensing how much traction your wheel has (each wheel has TC), and when the computer senses that a wheel is losing traction it automatically decreases the amount of power that goes to that wheel. The purpose of this is that the computer is trying to stop you from spinning your tires. This is why if you're ever stuck in the snow/ice you want to turn off traction control so that both wheels are getting the same amount of power.

So now, moving on to "competitive mode". It is in no way a "training" mode. It uses the same concept as turning off TC, but instead of turining off the computer completely you are dampening the power decrease. This is done to give you that "extra power" while still maintaining traction.

If you really were interested in comparing the TC off versus "competitive mode" you can put your car on a dynograph and run some tests. Do one pull with the car as "normal", one pull with TC off, and one pull in "competitive mode". I'd be willing to be money that you will not see any significant differences between the three pulls. As the car is not actually putting out any more power.

Quote:
P.S. And there is still one other option I have not looked into yet, which is buying a Tuner to boost speed and performance.. however I'll save that for a seperate thread/discussion since those can be pricey and I'd like to investigate these current options that come with the vehicle first.
Now your "third option" of getting a handheld tuner. That is a COMPLETELY different ballgame than just hitting the TC button. When you use a handheld tuner, or get any tune in general, you are physically changing values within the cars computer. You are adjusting timing, air/fuel ratios, etc. In doing this you can make more power, literally increasing the cars horsepower.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:29 PM   #5
Rip

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Pretty sure hitting the button once only turns off traction control. You have to hold it down for 7 or 8 seconds to turn both off. In competitive mode, I believe traction control is on but the stabilitrac system is disabled.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
Heaven_is_inferno_orange
Savage Setsuna

Drives: 16' 2SS, 12 ZL1, RIP Sasuke
Send a message via MSN to Heaven_is_inferno_orange Send a message via Yahoo to Heaven_is_inferno_orange
I was just wondering about this earlier today when low and behold I accidently discovered the stabilitrac setting.
Heaven_is_inferno_orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
bud miller

Drives: 2015 flash green edition
hit once..sorry T/C off , hit 2nd time (in quick succession) T/C off, active handlling on (comp mode ).. and with our 6speeds "launch control" available.
as far as car being 'quicker", that depends on driver ability, good tires to provide traction, etc.etc.

Last edited by bud miller; 09-23-2011 at 09:59 AM.
bud miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #8
GEEo
OKCamaros

Drives: 4 banger Diesel
I like it better when everything is off. its a guaranteed smile like this
GEEo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:51 AM   #9
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEEo View Post
I like it better when everything is off. its a guaranteed smile like this
Yeah I for one like turning them all off.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip View Post
Pretty sure hitting the button once only turns off traction control. You have to hold it down for 7 or 8 seconds to turn both off. In competitive mode, I believe traction control is on but the stabilitrac system is disabled.
This. When you say "hit the button once" are you holding it down for 7 seconds to really turn everything off?

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #11
faSSt
**Sold n' Sad**

Drives: 11 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0
"Hitting the button once" does not turn off everything...
its only TC off - not as aggressive as competitive mode(hit button twice)

Now if you "HOLD" the button one time for 5-7seconds you will turn off TC and active handling....this is when you have full control as the driver without any driving aids
2011 Camaro 2SS, SIM, 6M, HUD, 10% tint, black out lenses, SS emblems, TSP 304 LT's, Roto-Fab, MGW shifter, gto res, 8K BFXENON, HP Tuners, Redline Fluids. ***Sold*** Now in an 11' F150 supercrew FX4.
Still addicted to the this forum
faSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 AM   #12
faSSt
**Sold n' Sad**

Drives: 11 F150 Supercrew FX4 5.0
Mhood, my bad...looks like we we're typing at the same time Lol....you beat me

OP- to answer your original question, I'm always in competitive mode unless I want to have fun going a little sideways; then I turn everything off.
2011 Camaro 2SS, SIM, 6M, HUD, 10% tint, black out lenses, SS emblems, TSP 304 LT's, Roto-Fab, MGW shifter, gto res, 8K BFXENON, HP Tuners, Redline Fluids. ***Sold*** Now in an 11' F150 supercrew FX4.
Still addicted to the this forum
faSSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
The OP needs to clear this up so the poll has some validity. If he's actually talking about hitting the button once, then the poll needs three options.

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I don't think the OP is aware of launch control, but I could be wrong. To me it seems like option A is press the button once and option B is pressing the option twice.