Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #71
Mooch

Drives: 2010 camaro
The problem with any modern muscle car is the street rodders will pay top dollar for our drivetrains. Check ebay, engine/trans combos are fetching around $9,000. At auction, whole cars, fixable, go for $11,000 on up. Its not a good game to play anymore, unless you really know what your getting into. And if you can't do most of the work yourself, you will probably lose $$ every time. If you want to give it a go, buy the car from the auction yourself, either thru a public auction or a broker, and try to find sales that are close to holidays, as there is a lot less competition. I picked up my 2SS for 9200 the day before Christmas. And never, never buy a flood car unless its for parts.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #72
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky1974 View Post
Out of 3 pages of responses, this is the only good one. I've bought and fixed dozens of salvage cars over the years and have gotten more trouble free miles out of them than most of the new ones I've bought. That car is not hurt and someone will fix it and get a lot of miles out of it. The only thing wrong with it is that it's on e-bay and like most things on e-bay, it's overpriced. All these people telling you to just go buy a used one w/70k don't have a clue. The percentage of salvage cars with mechanical problems is much lower than used cars. Most people don't wreck their cars, when they have trouble, they trade them off. I'd much rather have that car. I'd just want to have no more than 25k in it fixed. Once it's fixed and you drive it, you never think about that salvage title again. And if you do, just think about the 15k you saved and smile. People will try to tell you that it will never be worth what a clean title car is worth, which is true, but if you don't have as much in it, it's not a problem. You won't lose nearly as much on a salvage as you will on a new one. Several people have said that you cant get insurance on a salvage title car. This is not true. I have a salvage title car in my garage as we speak and I have full coverage on it. A salvage title does not necessarily void your warranty either. I've had warranty work done on salvage title cars before and I've never had a dealership ask to see my title before doing warranty work. I was offered a add-on warranty when I bought my car and I declined it, because I didn't think I needed it and I was right. My car has been flawless. There's a local salvage dealer near me who sells both salvage title and clean title wrecks. Often times, the clean title cars have more damage than the salvage title cars. Most of the clean title wrecks are bought by dealers who have them fixed and sell them on their lots. Think about that the next time someone recommends you buy used over salvage.
i think that's pretty much what everyone is saying, that's it's over priced. of course it's worth it if you can get it at the right price.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #73
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Drives: Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
The problem with any modern muscle car is the street rodders will pay top dollar for our drivetrains. Check ebay, engine/trans combos are fetching around $9,000. At auction, whole cars, fixable, go for $11,000 on up. Its not a good game to play anymore, unless you really know what your getting into. And if you can't do most of the work yourself, you will probably lose $$ every time. If you want to give it a go, buy the car from the auction yourself, either thru a public auction or a broker, and try to find sales that are close to holidays, as there is a lot less competition. I picked up my 2SS for 9200 the day before Christmas. And never, never buy a flood car unless its for parts.
Was it an inferno orange camaro 2SS RS with orange seats??
Bumble.Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM   #74
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble.Bee View Post
Was it an inferno orange camaro 2SS RS with orange seats??
2SS RS/M6, but black with black seats. Exactly what I was looking for. The sun even shines on a dog's butt, now and then.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:56 PM   #75
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Quote:
2SS RS/M6, but black with black seats. Exactly what I was looking for. The sun even shines on a dog's butt, now and then.
So why did you say never get a flood car? What was wrong with yours?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #76
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
So why did you say never get a flood car?
flood cars are had to get right. if water got in the motor your going to have to tear it down, send it out to a machine shop, and then rebuild. and unless you want mold problems, your really going to have to tear out the interior and replace.

water damage is a bitch to deal with.
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #77
Mooch

Quote:
So why did you say never get a flood car? What was wrong with yours?
Right front hit, almost the exact same damage as this orange car. Flood cars suck, they are usually salt water and that crap gets everywhere. As if problems like rusted cylinder walls, mold inside the seats, under the carpet, and who knows where else wasn't bad enough, everything electrical is screwed. Even if it works now, corrosion will get into the wiring and cause gremlins like you've never seen. My brother (he's a mechanic) was working on a flood car once, the windows would go down when the cruise was turned on. That was years after the car was "fixed". They had that car in all the time, and had spent way more fixing it then they ever saved. Flood cars are good for one thing...parts.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #78
United_727
Parts Guru Extraordinair.

Drives: '02 SS 'Vert M6
Quote:
Airbags are only around 600 each, brand new, from the dealer. Where folks get these "airbags cost 2500 each" crap is beyond me. Headliner is around 350 new. Used curtain bags go for less than 200 each. Clock spring 40, 150 to reset the module and rebuild the belt tensioners, 250 for a used driver bag, looking at around 1300 or less to finish the interior with used parts. Core support is less than 300 new (GM), you will need to straighten or replace the left upper rails (I don't care what the ad says). Suspension may be tweaked, I would estimate around another 3000 in parts and paint to fix the body. So close to 4,500 if you did the work yourself and got a good deal on paint. Its an easy fix, and would make a nice car when finished, but you could buy a repaired prior salvage car for less than what you'd have into it. What I'm getting at is the car is overpriced by 5-6,000. Salvage SS's go for around 20,000 fixed.
Headliner is $468 . Clockspring is $56 . Roof airbags are $416 each. SDM is $416 . Drivers bag is $643 . Core support is $338
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #79
akCamaross

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Not worth it... gotta think about the things wrong with it that you cant see...
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #80
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
Quote:
Soooo, how much do you guys estimate??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-SPE...ht_36820wt_957

It looks like pillar damaged? Input needed.

Thanks.
4k low end 7k top end.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #81
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

I already said I'm not buying it no more.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM   #82
chevyfan#1
I Love my new Camaro!!

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro SS
damage repair can add up quick man, get some actual estimates from shops as opposed to guesstimates from members here before you plunk down cash for that thing.
chevyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:03 PM   #83
Bumble.Bee
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyfan#1 View Post
damage repair can add up quick man, get some actual estimates from shops as opposed to guesstimates from members here before you plunk down cash for that thing.
Did you not read my last post...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #84
trooper182

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT yellow non RS
Has to be some hidden damage. When I had my accident, it cause more damage than what I can tell from these pics. I had about 11k miles on my camaro and caused over 9k worth of damage and the insurance did not total it out. Would not buy that ss unless you get to see it in person and have someone with knowledge of collusion damage inspect it to make sure it is worth salvaging. There is a reason the insurance declared this a loss.
Staff Sergeant U.S. Army 13B Gun Bunny. 2011 Camaro 1LT A6 Mods: Pypes bomb V8 exhaust, Magnaflow x-pipe, resonator delete, Roto-Fab cold air intake, Vmax Black Ice-olator, Elite Engineering catch can, painted engine cover and fuse box cover, 3dCarbon Front Fender Vents, Street Scene Front Splitter, ZL1 Side Rockers, Anvil Notch Rear Spoiler, interior/engine bay LED lights, two JL Audio W3's 10" and 1000w kenwood amp
trooper182 is offline   Reply With Quote