Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 07-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
chuck9987

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
Front license plate relocation

I am trying to move my front license plate to the passenger side of the front bumper right next to the fog light, does anyone know of a bracket or kit meant for this??? I've seen a ton of Camaros with the plate in that spot!! All I can find is no drill kits which still leaves the plate in the middle of the bumper where is ruins the look of the car.
chuck9987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
Jmcsjcrs

Drives: 2012 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Google Show and Go

• 2012 2SS RS
  • CAI Industries
  • Lloyd's Floor and Trunk Mats
  • IOM Heritage Grill
  • Sparks SS emblems
  • Year One Restoration 1969 Camaro Script
Jmcsjcrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
chuck9987

Ive seen ones similar to that. Can't you get a ticket for the retractable ones even worse than not having a front plate?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
midnighter
Account Suspended

Drives: nothing
Don't install them. Fark it!
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
chuck9987

I just don't want to give a cop a reason to pull me over and then get other tickets
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
chuck9987

No one has seen any bracket kits to install it to that lower grill in between the fog lights??
Old 07-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #7
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Zip tie it?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
I have the show and go plate installed on my car. I did not want to drill into the bumper at all, so I made a custom bracket for the SnG to mount up to the passenger side bolt hat holds the bumper on. Here are some pics:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373426092.441919.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  154.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373426114.492528.jpg
Views: 1187
Size:  138.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373426130.280039.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  121.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373426146.847891.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  173.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373426164.410277.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  237.6 KB

Hope this helps.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
chuck9987

Have you ever gotten pulled over with that? I was told you can get a worse ticket for having a plate that you can hide? There any truth to that?
Old 07-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9987 View Post
Have you ever gotten pulled over with that? I was told you can get a worse ticket for having a plate that you can hide? There any truth to that?
Yes it's true. However the ONLY time you could be issued that ticket is if you were driving on public roads with the plate hidden, otherwise it looks like any other plate... (this came from a family member of mine who's an NJ cop, for what it's worth!)

I just don't have a plate mounted at all lol. If I get pulled over, it's in the glove box.

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
chuck9987

Do you know if its the same ticket if the plate is in your window?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
SgtPickles69
Team LFX

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Zip tie it?
That's what I did and it has been holding up pretty good F da po-po!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck9987 View Post
I have never been pulled over for that. I try to remember to put it up when I go drive. A few times I have driven with it down, because i forgot, but usually anytime I take it out of the garage the first thing I try to do is fold it up.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thCamaro View Post
I have never been pulled over for that. I try to remember to put it up when I go drive. A few times I have driven with it down, because i forgot, but usually anytime I take it out of the garage the first thing I try to do is fold it up.
Seems like buying the electric version and powering it off a relay triggered by the ignition would be the easiest solution to prevent you from forgetting?

@chuck - here's a quote from the statute, feel free to interpret.

Also, when placing the plate in the window, a cop can technically write you for a second ticket (obstruction of view) if he/she wanted...

Quote:
39:3-33. Markers; requirements concerning; display of fictitious or wrong numbers, etc.; punishment
The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that the rear identification mark may be displayed more than 48 inches from the ground on tank trucks, trailers and other commercial vehicles carrying inflammable liquids and on sanitation vehicles which are used to collect, transport and dispose of garbage, solid wastes and refuse. Motorcycles shall also display an identification mark or marks; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the motorcycle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the motorcycle.

The identification mark or marks shall contain the number of the registration certificate of the vehicle and shall be of such design and material as prescribed pursuant to section 2 of P.L.1989, c.202 (C.39:3-33.9). All identification marks shall be kept clear and distinct and free from grease, dust or other blurring matter, so as to be plainly visible at all times of the day and night.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle which has a license plate frame or identification marker holder that conceals or otherwise obscures any part of any marking imprinted upon the vehicle's registration plate or any part of any insert which the director, as hereinafter provided, issues to be inserted in and attached to that registration plate or marker.

The director is authorized and empowered to issue registration plate inserts, to be inserted in and attached to the registration plates or markers described herein. They may be issued in the place of new registration plates or markers; and inscribed thereon, in numerals, shall be the year in which registration of the vehicle has been granted.

No person shall drive a motor vehicle the owner of which has not complied with the provisions of this subtitle concerning the proper registration and identification thereof, nor drive a motor vehicle which displays a fictitious number, or a number other than that designated for the motor vehicle in its registration certificate. During the period of time between the application for motor vehicle registration and the receipt of registration plates from the division, no person shall affix a plate or marker for the purpose of advertisement in the position on a motor vehicle normally reserved for the display of the registration plates required by this section if the plate or marker is designed with a combination of letters, numbers, colors, or words to resemble the registration plates required by this section.

A person convicted of displaying a fictitious number, as prohibited herein, shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $500.00 or imprisonment in the county jail for not more than 60 days.

A person violating any other provision of this section shall be subject to a fine not exceeding $100.00. In default of the payment thereof, there shall be imposed an imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 10 days. A person convicted of a second offense of the same violation may be fined in double the amount herein prescribed for the first offense and may, in default of the payment thereof, be punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 20 days. These penalties shall not apply to the display of a fictitious number.

All that being said... ultimately know it's not legal to run without a front plate in NJ, it's not legal to put it in your window either.

As long as when you're driving, the plate is in view, and in alignment with the statute, then their is no reason they should write you a ticket.

I know people who have drivin in NJ for 10+ years with no front plate, never an issue. I know others who didn't make it 10 miles. Mod at your own risk.

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, front bumper, licence plate, relocation kit