Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
Rented Glint

Drives: Inferno Orange 2LT
Traction Control Question

Camaro in question is a 2LT/ RS

So even after turning of traction and stability control, when you take a corner hard (purposely letting the rear swing out), the traction control active flashes on the HUD... I thought that the button in front of the shifter was supposed to turn that off?

I do notice that with the Traction control and stability control turned of its easier to swing the rear out, I'm only wondering why the message still flashes on the HUD

NO I DO NOT DRIFT EVERY CORNER... there was a wide open parking lot and I couldn't resist.....
Rented Glint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Did you hold down the traction control button for 8 to 10 seconds and get both lights on the dash? You have to hold it down that long to turn off TCS and ABS completely. Pressing it once turns off ABS, press it again and it changes to competitive driving mode. Hold it down 8-10 seconds and its off completely.

Oh, and READ THE MANUAL, its all in there.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 AM   #3
Rented Glint

Fly, I see what you are saying and I have read the manual. from what I understand there are two active systems on the 2LT camaro. The first is the traction control system and the second is the stability control.

So tapping the traction control button once will disable traction control and tapping and HOLDING it down for 7 seconds will disable the traction AND stability control. When you disable both systems both the lights come on in the dash.

I did hold it down and both lights DID light up in the dash, however, taking corners hard and letting the rear swing out STILL pops up the message "TRACTION CONTROL ACTIVE" on the HUD, even though both lights are on in the dash.

I think the ZL1 is the only camaro that has the "competitve" driving and all those other options, correct me if i'm wrong.

Thank you for your response though, appreciate it
Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Rented Glint

Ahhhh, I see that you drive a 1LE, thats the camaro with all the other driving modes like competitve and what not I think
Old 08-21-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The flashing light is Stabiltrack kicking in. You will notice you rear end slides more with traction control of but Stabiltrack is still going to try to keep you from doing a 180 or 360.

If you want to turn it all off and drive like the experts around here then hold the button down for 7-8 seconds. NOW NOTE, many of these so called experts that claim they do not need the nannies on city streets months latter we see pictures of their cars wrapped around telephone polls or flipped over in the ditch.

You are driving a 2 ton bullet, on city streets please leave all the nannies on. Take it to a track and turn them off.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Rented Glint

Totally understood. The camaro has these nannies on for a reason and I kbow that

Also, I DID hold down the button for 7 secs and the message still flashes on the hud
Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
Rented Glint

Any more people willing to share?

I just tried again today, I disabled the nanies went to a big open parking lot and "stabilitrak Active" popped up on the HUD

I MADE SURE THAT IT WAS DISABLED, I checked the dash and both lights were lit.

I am thinking maybe disabling only disables them to s certain point, if you are REALLY gonna spin out they turn on automatically for a split few seconds or something
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Nope, I have had it all turned off a couple of times and it will totally get loose
Old 08-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
Rented Glint

Man.. this is really bugging me... I tried again yet again. Turn everything of, then try to swing the rear around, it does, and easily but that damn message pops up on the HUD.

And this isn't a question you want to ask a dealership lol... "hey ummm, i'm beating the shit outa this car and i'm wondering why the systems that help keep me alive in my idiot moments won't turn of"
Old 08-24-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
tmath23

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT RS
Ive noticed the same thing, I believe it just flashes while the back end is out of control. Just to let you know. Its still disengaged but just flashes to make you aware of it. I don't have the HUD but I see it flashing on my dash.
tmath23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #11
impaidbyu

Drives: 2013 rs/ss Convertible
I have a 2013 SS and if held down for 7-8 seconds both lights pop up and it goes crazy no issue. If i hit the button twice both lights still come on but it is in comp mode and nannies will kick in. Maybe you need to hold it a bit longer? Also on a side note my 300 srt8 will kick in the nannies when they are all "off". Hope you figure it out.
Good luck!
impaidbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:46 AM   #12
Rented Glint

I think Tmath was right. Cause I dont feel any braking force when they are all turned of. its prolly just letting me know that rear is losing control
Old 08-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #13
Synner

Drives: cars
Your dic will continue to tell you when its slippery. Try not to listen to your dic so much.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #14
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Your dic will continue to tell you when its slippery. Try not to listen to your dic so much.
+1