Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #1
kudzu74
Account Suspended

Drives: SS 08' Trailblazer
Thumbs up Z28 Fan...

BUT, I will take anything with a supercharger in it that is not called an SS. So its a ZL1 for me if it cannot be called a Z28. Who else is with me? I held out for a factory produced supercharged camaro since rumor became truth and seeing the CTS/V8 and realized that there was a good chance it would become a reality. Are there still any hold outs for a Z28? Or has anyone else jumped ship with me in hopes of purchasing a new ZL1?
kudzu74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu74 View Post
BUT, I will take anything with a supercharger in it that is not called an SS. So its a ZL1 for me if it cannot be called a Z28. Who else is with me? I held out for a factory produced supercharged camaro since rumor became truth and seeing the CTS/V8 and realized that there was a good chance it would become a reality. Are there still any hold outs for a Z28? Or has anyone else jumped ship with me in hopes of purchasing a new ZL1?
If you read a few of the threads in this Z/28 section, you will quickly realize that there are a lot of us waiting for a Z/28. I think the ZL1 will be an awesome vehicle, but I think a Z/28 will fit my needs better.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #3
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
What does this have to do with the SECTION??? you have put in a THREAD in a SECTION that has nothing to do with the SECTION topic...start your own blog or something...geez
Your post has been "repaired"...

Pot...kettle...BLACK...

What does this THREAD have to do with this SECTION?

NO ship-jumpers here, that's for sure. A "real" Z/28 is what we seek...and what we'll find. In fact, I think you'll find there's room in THIS "boat"...

Please enjoy your ZL1.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
There are some who never wanted a supercharged Camaro in the first place, and felt that it would have been wrong to call such a car a Z28. So why would they ever jump ship to the ZL1?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There are some who never wanted a supercharged Camaro in the first place, and felt that it would have been wrong to call such a car a Z28. So why would they ever jump ship to the ZL1?

No extra heat soak in my track star please!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Perhaps I read into things too much, that comes from my training and personal experience. Can't help it. The more I read the ZL1/Z28 debate, the more I learn. The more time that passes gives me pause for thought and reflection. In this enviorment one can understand more information, and in turn, how they feel about things in relation to that knowledge. For me, it's causing a real issue over what I want. A sure thing is better than a maybe, but if it's not exactly what you want, it's a compromise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post

No extra heat soak in my track star please!
I do dig that N/A LS7 the more I think about it. It's a Rockstar..without the makeup.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #7
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Welcome to the land of NA!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 03:38 AM   #8
kudzu74
Account Suspended

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Your post has been "repaired"...

Pot...kettle...BLACK...

What does this THREAD have to do with this SECTION?

NO ship-jumpers here, that's for sure. A "real" Z/28 is what we seek...and what we'll find. In fact, I think you'll find there's room in THIS "boat"...

Please enjoy your ZL1.
It has to do with the Z28s...I've been waiting and waiting and cannot wait any longer for a hostile takeover in GM management to run things the way we want things to be run. As for the future of the Z28...I wish it was there but look what they did to Pontiac and the trans-am. I've owned two Z28s and prefer that model over an SS any day of the week. But I am a power freak and a modder...so getting an actual production supercharged vehicle from the factory warranty is a MAJOR plus than having an early expired warranty do to modding the heck outta of an engine. I was offended like I would hope most of you were when Jay Leno mummbled something about that V6 turbo-charged camaro at SEMA 2009 being called a 'z28'. He lost a few notches of respect from me for that comment. I have always thought of a Z28 as a V8 and hope it remains that way and that it would be a future model and not a package for the camaro. But sometimes you have to take what you can get...while refusing to buy an SS camaro...I had to replace my 94' Z28 when I spun the bearings on the engine...the way most of my cars seem to die! However, I ended up getting a great deal on a 08' Trailblazer (3)SS with less than 9k on it last November for 29k...I mean if you had the money for 390hp 400tor and 4.10 in the rear end with it being fully loaded...I think a few would pull the trigger too just to have as a replacement to wait longer on a Z28. Anyhow, my point is wether you want a supercharger or not...the ZL1 is probably the closest we are gonna get to a Z28 anytime soon other than a package option. And I am having camaro withdrawals even in my daily driver. But as I stated at least its not the SS. So I don't know why you think this isn't related to Z28s...hence, I guess I just needed to add more information. Though in a way I guess I am selling out or trading up for a ZL1 instead of waiting, wishing, and hoping for a Z28 model. But maybe when they revamp the over all 5th gen in what 2014? it will happen. But for now I'm gonna pull the trigger again and rack up some more tickets and enjoy doing it all the way down the road!

P>S> I would have loved to have the option to buy a Z28 with an LS7 no supercharger but the chances of something like this being produced by GM now a days just won't happen in this economy. My fear is the early 80s all over again...

Last edited by kudzu74; 08-31-2011 at 03:41 AM. Reason: two cents...
Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
I'm holding out for a new Z/28 and can wait a few more years.
As for jumping ship, if and that's a if, it won't be for a ZL1.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:46 PM   #10
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
^I agree
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #11
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
I've owned two Z28s and prefer that model over an SS any day of the week.... But sometimes you have to take what you can get...while refusing to buy an SS camaro...
What have you got against the SS? My 2010 SS is 10 times the car my '78 and '79 Z28's were. Those cars were just decals and fake scoops with no-power smog motors. Granted, they handled a little better than most cars on the road then, but nowhere near as good as my current SS.

In my mind the 69 to 70 1/2 Z28 was the King of the Hill, but starting in '72 GM didn't have a clue about making horsepower with the new smog restrictions. I think that held true through the late 90's when the Z28's were much better, but then the SS came out and surpassed the Z's power. I always thought GM betrayed the Z28 name by letting the SS have more power.

I'd buy a new Z28 in a heartbeat, but for now I'm enjoying the hell out of my SS.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM   #12
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by My 5th View Post
What have you got against the SS? My 2010 SS is 10 times the car my '78 and '79 Z28's were. Those cars were just decals and fake scoops with no-power smog motors. Granted, they handled a little better than most cars on the road then, but nowhere near as good as my current SS.

In my mind the 69 to 70 1/2 Z28 was the King of the Hill, but starting in '72 GM didn't have a clue about making horsepower with the new smog restrictions. I think that held true through the late 90's when the Z28's were much better, but then the SS came out and surpassed the Z's power. I always thought GM betrayed the Z28 name by letting the SS have more power.

I'd buy a new Z28 in a heartbeat, but for now I'm enjoying the hell out of my SS.

Yea, I set my Z/28 game plan 3 years ago when the Gen5 prototype came out. Buy DD Gen5 for a few years and enjoy it until the Gen5 Z/28 comes out. I'll probably make that my weekend car. This is my 7th Camaro. I ordered a new '78 Z/28 (stolen) and a '80 Z/28. My 2LT will run circles around them. In fact a Gen5 2LT/M6 will run the quarter mile a second faster than '67 SS350.

It would drive me absolutely nuts if I wasn't driving some sort of Gen5 while waiting on the Z/28.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
kudzu74
Account Suspended

hmm, seems you are comparing apples to oranges...I never setup up a comparision of old vs. new...if I did my 08' would run circles around most of my past cars and most of the stuff on the road now in a straight line...anyhow, Z28s have always been the affordable V8s and can be modded to run a lot better than most SS even in the fourth generation...so pretty much switchin' gears now that I can afford it I will buy a new camaro not a used one as in the past...as for the 79' that I drove with a 454 it was a BEAST...I sold it to get the 81' Z28 with t-tops (loved Smokey and the Bandit when I was younger but didn't like the pontiac as much as the camaro) and all original matching numbers with the build sheet from the third owner only to lose it when I moved to texas the first time...my replacement was a 94' Z28 with t-tops when I got back to florida but ended up losing that car last year when after all the wear and tear to work as a daily driver for over 3 years 140miles a day round trip the bearings got spun on the crank from my ever loving lead foot...now I have some major withdrawal seeing all the new camaros on the road and waiting for a chance to get mine...but tired of waiting on a Z28 and now that I can afford the higher end I figure why not after all I've always been after more horsepower so a higher base number to go from will work for me till the modding bug bites again....right now, the only hard choice I have is to decide once I get one which will be the daily driver and who gets to be the test mule.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
kudzu, stay the course...at least for another 9 months (or sooner?). By that time, we'll know if a Wixom'd "Pedderized" canyon-carver will show up @ a ChevyShack near you...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote