Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 08-29-2009, 09:56 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Every month I get my new issue.....late. Weeks late. Then with that issue I receive a "this is your last issue/resubscribe now" notice. Been like that since my first issue last year. Im paid through jan 2010. Awsome.
YOU TOO?!!! I pay for a couple years in advance because I get tired of being harassed by the distributor, or whatever they're called. I get my issues late too, for the most part, except the the months were there is no issue for the following month. It's such a painful wait for the next issue

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #16
Dano

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Yes it is a very good article. You can see just how much GM defined this car. GM needs to get us an updated tune that will release the full potential of this car.
Old 08-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
YOU TOO?!!! I pay for a couple years in advance because I get tired of being harassed by the distributor, or whatever they're called. I get my issues late too, for the most part, except the the months were there is no issue for the following month. It's such a painful wait for the next issue
Ive called them about 4 times now. Each time I get "its all taken care of now bla bla bla". LOL We shall see.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Some of that hp gain is actually from the transmission directing power to the wheels rather than absorbing it inside. Firm up the transmission and the car will gain power on the dyno and lower the ET when the actual motor is unchanged. Still it is an impressive gain though.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #19
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
Most of that improvement is getting rid of TM. GM's not gonna reduce that. It's the limits they've designed in keep the autos alive for the 100k warranty period, not a lousy calibration. The only way that will change is if they can know for certain they aren't going to frag the tranny & drivetrain by raising it up. There is no upside to them doing that. The cars are performing to factory specs (barring the occasional low octane table issue). They risk losing money on warranty claims for something that most people don't care about. The people that care (us) about the issue are the same people that will cause them more warranty claims by using the extra performance and beating the car harder. Plus, we are a minor segment of the market that will not go elsewhere and will just get new tunes. There's nothing for them to gain by changing that. They will only make tunes to address driving issues and bugs.

Nice to see that GMHTP is starting to crack into the 2010 SS's. What I think would be interesting to see is before/after runs on the rear wheel dynos in the lower gears (not for numbers per se) to show how much more is gained in 1st & 2nd (and on the shifts) by getting rid of the TM. TM is much more restrictive then. I remember on the GTO's that it yielded much larger gains in the lower gears.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
GM could make some $$$ offering a high performance tune....
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:22 PM   #21
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tankr View Post
Most of that improvement is getting rid of TM. GM's not gonna reduce that. It's the limits they've designed in keep the autos alive for the 100k warranty period, not a lousy calibration. The only way that will change is if they can know for certain they aren't going to frag the tranny & drivetrain by raising it up. There is no upside to them doing that. The cars are performing to factory specs (barring the occasional low octane table issue). They risk losing money on warranty claims for something that most people don't care about. The people that care (us) about the issue are the same people that will cause them more warranty claims by using the extra performance and beating the car harder. Plus, we are a minor segment of the market that will not go elsewhere and will just get new tunes. There's nothing for them to gain by changing that. They will only make tunes to address driving issues and bugs.

Nice to see that GMHTP is starting to crack into the 2010 SS's. What I think would be interesting to see is before/after runs on the rear wheel dynos in the lower gears (not for numbers per se) to show how much more is gained in 1st & 2nd (and on the shifts) by getting rid of the TM. TM is much more restrictive then. I remember on the GTO's that it yielded much larger gains in the lower gears.
I like your post but the part I highlighted I sort-of disagree with. As long as the Camaro is winning the shootouts with the journalists, and getting rave reviews about the power in relation to the competition, they (GM) won't change a thing. As soon as a $30,000 'Stang steps up to the plate with 375hp, and the Challenger gets some more power, you can bet your ass GM will tweak and tune the car for some more power, and/or less torque management. I am sure they err on the safe side with their tunes and their calibrations. Every stock GM car I have ever seen being tuned doesn't even hit 12.0-1 AFR. They are all between 11.5-11.8/1, which is a damn joke. I can only imagine how lame the tranny tune is and how much more capable it could be and also safe and not cause a warranty claim.
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #22
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
[QUOTE=joelster;863568]I like your post but the part I highlighted I sort-of disagree with. As long as the Camaro is winning the shootouts with the journalists, and getting rave reviews about the power in relation to the competition, they (GM) won't change a thing. As soon as a $30,000 'Stang steps up to the plate with 375hp, and the Challenger gets some more power, you can bet your ass GM will tweak and tune the car for some more power, and/or less torque management. I am sure they err on the safe side with their tunes and their calibrations. Every stock GM car I have ever seen being tuned doesn't even hit 12.0-1 AFR. They are all between 11.5-11.8/1, which is a damn joke. I can only imagine how lame the tranny tune is and how much more capable it could be and also safe and not cause a warranty claim.[/QUOTE

You might be right, but as long as they can stick by the LS3, they'll have very little incentive to change the tune on the L99. The comparo's always use manuals. Ford sort of left the game to GM for the numbers comparison. I was surprised they didn't put the 400hp V8 they have developed into the 2010 Mustang. On the GTO's, GM just put the LS2 in and kept the TM conservative. The problem with GM taking some TM out, is the entire drivetrain is tested to certain levels. They need those teams to agree to raise the levels on their parts, and those engineers have no incentive to take on the added risk when it's not their job to make more power. My 05 GTO and TBSS both got much faster when I took out TM or reduced it. Course, I didn't have GM's concerns,just my own.
I'm guessing the Gen V LSX based DI would be their next step. Right now, they're on the top of the numbers game for hp.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
yellow69z28
It's Camaro NOT Camero...

Drives: Inferno Orange Metallic RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelster View Post
I like your post but the part I highlighted I sort-of disagree with. As long as the Camaro is winning the shootouts with the journalists, and getting rave reviews about the power in relation to the competition, they (GM) won't change a thing. As soon as a $30,000 'Stang steps up to the plate with 375hp, and the Challenger gets some more power, you can bet your ass GM will tweak and tune the car for some more power, and/or less torque management. I am sure they err on the safe side with their tunes and their calibrations. Every stock GM car I have ever seen being tuned doesn't even hit 12.0-1 AFR. They are all between 11.5-11.8/1, which is a damn joke. I can only imagine how lame the tranny tune is and how much more capable it could be and also safe and not cause a warranty claim.
You hit the nail right on the head. I have been in the throttle for about three weeks now with a new tune performed by Matt @ Tune Time Performance in Toms River - NJ. He took my stock L99 which made 315 RWHP and 309 RWTQ and pumped it up to a Peak of 331 RWHP and 336 RWTQ on a Mustang DYNO.

Its amazing how much of a beast and much more fun this thing is to drive. The magic is all in the AF Ratios (with averages over 13.3-1) and with balancing TQ Management with line pressure and shift points in the A6. Most of the changes are true of what was posted earlier - its the gains over the base along the band, in my case some times 90 HP between 3150 and 3850 RPM. The magic in the tune is not quite so mysterious but in reality its Matt's experience in tuning the G8.

For the lay person - its punching it and banging 2nd and 3rd on the way out to ??.??sec - stay tuned...
Attached Images

Last edited by yellow69z28; 09-01-2009 at 08:40 PM.
yellow69z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
CFPC_2010
VIN #3026 IOM/IO

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Its my wife's car...

All,

The article is about my wife's IOM/IO car, VIN 3026. We got the car April 26th and there were no other cars in Florida that took GMHTP up on an offer to show up to Bradenton to do a photo shoot and track runs other than us. We put down over 25 runs with just under 500 miles on the car and got the best of 13.38 fully stock (that was in the Sept issue). A month later we tuned the car as shown in the current issue - I posted about the 100 lb-ft torque gains at the bottom end but everyone called BS, unfortunately I couldn't play spoiler and post the dyno sheet then. Watch future issues for more upgrades we are doing to the car (including many more track runs).

Terry
Old 09-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #25
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPC_2010 View Post
All,

The article is about my wife's IOM/IO car, VIN 3026. We got the car April 26th and there were no other cars in Florida that took GMHTP up on an offer to show up to Bradenton to do a photo shoot and track runs other than us. We put down over 25 runs with just under 500 miles on the car and got the best of 13.38 fully stock (that was in the Sept issue). A month later we tuned the car as shown in the current issue - I posted about the 100 lb-ft torque gains at the bottom end but everyone called BS, unfortunately I couldn't play spoiler and post the dyno sheet then. Watch future issues for more upgrades we are doing to the car (including many more track runs).

Terry
Awsome, I cant wait to see it progress.
Do you know what tuning software was used?

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #26
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Wow, that's awesome!

Have to read the full article.

Us too please?
d69chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:54 AM   #27
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFPC_2010 View Post
All,

Terry

very nice.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #28
CFPC_2010
VIN #3026 IOM/IO

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickfromMD View Post
Awsome, I cant wait to see it progress.
Do you know what tuning software was used?
Patrick,

Jeremy was using the Beta version of the HP Tuners software for the Camaro.

Terry