Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Have you ever removed anything in the drive line that could be out of alignment left to right? Carrier bearings also see the movement of yaw.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #16
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
There is no need for further discussion. If the shaft is angled, his center carrier is upside down. Nothing else can cause this.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM   #17
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
This was the best I could find and the owner has the BMR cradle inserts. Differential movement takes place under hard acceleration. Look to the left and you see the suspension with a lot of movement.

I don't think the differential had anything to do with the bearing going bad. But I dunno. I'm a guesser.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 PM   #18
garcmol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
There is no need for further discussion. If the shaft is angled, his center carrier is upside down. Nothing else can cause this.
I'm not understanding this. Isn't the driveshaft set up in two pieces because the front comes out straight from the transmission, then at the U joint it angles down toward the differential? Or at least it allows the back half to move around a little to compensate for the slight movement of the differential.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:42 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob vogel View Post
did your car make this noise all the time or just when it goes to a lower gear?
Even in nuetral, out of gear, car off. It just has to roll. Doesn't matter what gear it was ever in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
Have you ever removed anything in the drive line that could be out of alignment left to right? Carrier bearings also see the movement of yaw.
Nope. The entire tranny back to hubs are 100% stock and never taken off for anything.

Quote:
Is that even possible to do?

Either way, there's no way it is. It would take one really inept person on the factory assembly line. Probalby several.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
This was the best I could find and the owner has the BMR cradle inserts. Differential movement takes place under hard acceleration. Look to the left and you see the suspension with a lot of movement.

I don't think the differential had anything to do with the bearing going bad. But I dunno. I'm a guesser.
So the guy at the shop was right about the joint only flexing on acceleration and driving.

I guess I should define angled a bit better.

It wasn't extreme by any means. It was just higher in the biddle. But barely. Just enough to notice with the naked eye. He was talkng 3 degrees. and thinking it should be at zero or one degree.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #20
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
i,m really starting to wonder???hmmmm...is bonnie avoiding you and you keep breaking things so you can come online and chat , cause your bored..lol
Old 09-02-2011, 06:46 PM   #21
garcmol

Quote:
So the guy at the shop was right about the joint only flexing on acceleration and driving.
Correct, sir! The grip of the tire robs a bit of the power....that energy must go somewhere. That's why those bushings are BIG.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #22
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepage0007 View Post
i,m really starting to wonder???hmmmm...is bonnie avoiding you and you keep breaking things so you can come online and chat , cause your bored..lol
Maybe.

Quote:
Correct, sir! The grip of the tire robs a bit of the power....that energy must go somewhere. That's why those bushings are BIG.

Ok.

Well, at least the shop found my problem. So now another question.

Can the rattling noise in the video be from pieces of the bearing or bearing assembly broken off and INSIDE the driveshaft tumbling around?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #23
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Sounds possible. As minor as the angle you describe is, I wonder if just the center pilot is worn out
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Well, I know the cradle seperates from the rest. And the diff is on the cradle. So I am unsure about the whole thing. I understand that it's all bolted together. But I know that raising and lowering on some other cars and trucks can cause a driveshaft angle. But I'm guessing that this is what they mean by unibody?
No, it has to do with the "rear axle". On live axle (solid) cars (most rear drives are this), movement of the axle up and down (raising/lowering a car) will change the angle of the driveshaft. That is why there is a "slip fit" at the trans end to allow for movement as the angle changes.

On our cars (IRS) ALL the vertical movement is taken up by the half-shafts with the diff being "solidly" (somewhat) mounted to the car (via the subframe). The driveshaft angle doesn't change to the degree your tech thinks it does (a little bit is designed in to handle the flex of the motor/trans mounts). Capiche?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #25
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
Always breaking something....
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #26
garcmol

I can't remember if the driveshaft is hollow, but in your other thread I said it almost sounded like a pebble found it's way in there and is bouncing around inside the driveshaft.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
garcmol

You know, when I hear that video, I think of the end of Kill Bill Vol #1 when they are fighting in the snow. In the background all you hear is this water well bucket thingy fill up and then dump. Sounds just like that!

I know, I know, that helps nothing.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Sounds possible. As minor as the angle you describe is, I wonder if just the center pilot is worn out
That's actually very possible. There's about a good quarter inch of play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
No, it has to do with the "rear axle". On live axle (solid) cars (most rear drives are this), movement of the axle up and down (raising/lowering a car) will change the angle of the driveshaft. That is why there is a "slip fit" at the trans end to allow for movement as the angle changes.

On our cars (IRS) ALL the vertical movement is taken up by the half-shafts with the diff being "solidly" (somewhat) mounted to the car (via the subframe). The driveshaft angle doesn't change to the degree your tech thinks it does (a little bit is designed in to handle the flex of the motor/trans mounts). Capiche?
Nice. Got it. Makes sense.

So just replace it and I should be good to go.

But I'd really like to knwo what caused it to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquash1984 View Post
Always breaking something....

Quote:
You know, when I hear that video, I think of the end of Kill Bill Vol #1 when they are fighting in the snow. In the background all you hear is this water well bucket thingy fill up and then dump. Sounds just like that!

I know, I know, that helps nothing.
Yup. Does sound like that. hahaha