Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 03-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #15
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
how do you figure that they set you back in power?
My guess would be a forged piston that lowers compression some? .. regardless going forged and lowering compression a bit to be able to throw say 15 - 16 PSI would be WELL worth it ....

Example.

04 cobra I had

at about 12psi I made about 460rwhp / 460rwtq ... at about 16 psi I made about 509rwhp / 520rwtq .... When I was stock (with CAI) I was at 400rwhp and that was about 8psi ..

Crowley
Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
My guess would be a forged piston that lowers compression some? .. regardless going forged and lowering compression a bit to be able to throw say 15 - 16 PSI would be WELL worth it ....

Example.

04 cobra I had

at about 12psi I made about 460rwhp / 460rwtq ... at about 16 psi I made about 509rwhp / 520rwtq .... When I was stock (with CAI) I was at 400rwhp and that was about 8psi ..

Crowley
yeah, but you can go with forged internals and keep the same compression. same as you can go with hyperutic pistons with less compression. granted if you are building a blower motor, forged and lower cr kinda go hand in hand. but just because you go with forged internals doesnt mean you have to go with less cr.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Here is one we recently did

The Blk Tvs style will hit the dyno next week.Both are ls2 engines with headers.

TVS BLOWER DYNO 511 AND 468 RWHP

Last edited by ADM PERFORMANCE; 03-18-2009 at 08:40 PM.
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

sweet man. cant wait to see some before and after numbers!
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #19
Speedfreak

Drives: 1999 30th Anniversary Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by spd98 View Post
Forged pistons actually set you back a bit in horsepower. You will probly need the bigger blower to make it worth while.
That makes no sense........I don't know why they don't run them in the LS series...they don't cost much more..........maybe the noise factor when cold
Speedfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #20
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
That makes no sense........I don't know why they don't run them in the LS series...they don't cost much more..........maybe the noise factor when cold
well, the fact that not everyone is going to be going FI on their car (mechanically or chemically). doesnt make too much sense on a car that will be sold to anyone and everyone, not just the enthusiasts.

not to mention, its fun to push a motor/car to its limits and beyond.... then build it up the way you want. lol

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 05:28 AM   #21
spd98

Drives: had a goat
Quote:
forged pistons generally have higher density and tend to way a bit more. If your wanting to build a motor that requires them you need to maximize boost to make it worthwhile. There are already several cars that are running the 1900 TVS on ls3 and ls7 motors with not a lot of modifications. If I were building a forged motor I would go with the 2300 and really boost it.
spd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #22
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Forged pistons people!

The cast aluminum pistons are the only weak link in the LS3 when adding forced induction...
2nded, especially when working with Aero engines where EVERYTHING AND THEIR MOTHER IS FORGED(then machined too, slick..)! Seriously, and on top of that we only run them at low RPMs to save the motors (hence low HP numbers). If we did run them past 4K we'd probably get over 400hp (easy) out of a 6cyl normally aspirated 541ci Lycoming.

But then we'd also blow the motors.

Moral of the story: Forged internals always win in high heat and power apps. They may weigh a tad bit more, but the gains are well worth it. Why do you think we use them when weight is always an issue for aircraft?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #23
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
From videos I've seen, those style blowers make WAY to much of a whine noise. I prefer the "suttle" whistle of a Vortech and the sound of the cars exhaust more. Curious to see one on a Camaro though!
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
The eaton TVS is an even better blower than the 122.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
+1 I am planning to go with the TVS 1900 supercharger with my camaro. I Think 6 psi (no more) will be ok with stock internals. what do you guys think??
I was thinking a MP2300, or Whipple/KB of similar size. Statements/opinions I've read, so far though, regarding stuffing the MP2300 on a stock L76 (it was on a G8 forum) wasn't too good an idea because it's claimed it was too much blower without forged parts. I don't know if it was just skepticism or what, but it just seemed to me to be a little too pessomistic; stock 4.6s live under 2.6L KBs or Whipples all the time, so I don't see why a stock LS' could do the same with conservative boost and good tuning. I see the LSA and LS9 running 9+ pounds of boost, and they all have mostly forged parts (in the LSA) but those are about as bullet-proof as they come form the factory. I think running 6 psi. would be plenty safe, considering Haddad Motorsports' G8 GT is running a little more (I believe) and putting down 460 RWHP with only a catback.

I don't see why this company is going to use old technology when they have these new rotors to work with... Oh well. To each his own Camaro will be kicking tail though, regardless of blower - period.

Quote:
10 psi and methanol injection and say goodbye to your tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Example.

04 cobra I had

Crowley
I want an OEM SC!!! Those Cobras are something to be messed with. It's a good thing Camaro was cancelled in '02 so they didn't have to deal with those cars, OMG. It weighed more but made a good amount more power. Shoot - you guys could swap a pulley, add CAI, exhaust, and tune and get crazy power!!! I'm so jealous.

Quote:
Or all the time for those with piston slap...

Quote:
forged pistons generally have higher density and tend to way a bit more. If your wanting to build a motor that requires them you need to maximize boost to make it worthwhile. There are already several cars that are running the 1900 TVS on ls3 and ls7 motors with not a lot of modifications. If I were building a forged motor I would go with the 2300 and really boost it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary B View Post
From videos I've seen, those style blowers make WAY to much of a whine noise. I prefer the "suttle" whistle of a Vortech and the sound of the cars exhaust more. Curious to see one on a Camaro though!
I agree, but LOVE it!!! I'm a little disappointed the ZR1 and CTS-V don't make a little more noise, but I imagine much more could get irritating after a while of driving - especially in a DD. It's funny some Cobras I've heard with KBs or Whipples whined so much that it overpowered the exhaust!!! That was with full exhaust including LTs. Those cars were stupid fast!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
THis is not the case with all of them .. Whipples are pretty quite .. not sure about Magnacharger .. my stock eaton was pretty quite until I got it ported ... btw .... when it did make some noise .. I LOVED IT ...

Crowley
Old 03-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I Eaton.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #27
Krazy and old

Drives: 2007 Shelby GT 500
Quote:
this is on a G8 with longtubes....but it added over 150hp.....

our camaros are going to be kicking the living isht out of the competition....

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/sponso...s-exhaust.html

Ready when you are hot rod!

Video of Eaton M122 vs Dyno

Krazy and old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:20 AM   #28
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
well, vortech is a centrifugal style sc instead of a roots/twin screw/lysholm screw sc. they dont make full boost till you are near redline so you dont hear the sc so much at low rpm.

unless you are running a Ysi.... those beatches scream.

I for one, want my s/c howling. just something more of an intimidation factor for me I guess. not to many people want to F with you when they hear that whine. leading to less street racing...

like my logic on that one? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy and old View Post

Ready when you are hot rod!

Video of Eaton M122 vs Dyno

lets ROCK!!!

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: