Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: Like to know what is the most popular Hood for the ZL1
Scoop Hood 7 17.50%
Slotted Hood(current hood type shown in Chicago Auto Show) 25 62.50%
Jay Leno's dual side Hood 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2011, 12:21 AM   #1
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Scoop Hood / Slotted Hood / Dual Side Hood

Just want to see what type of hood you would like on your ZL1 if it was offer as an option.
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:36 AM   #2
lil_red_v6
one wheelin

Drives: 2004 yamaha r6
Send a message via Yahoo to lil_red_v6
jay leno hood,
lil_red_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #3
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
I would like to see a final version of the ZL1 "track optioned" hood that was cut from the original ZL1 hood. If they can make it functional, I think it would look pretty sweet.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
The current ZL1 hood is functional for cooling and downforce so it is my first choice. Leno hood would be my next choice because it appears it could also be somewhat functional for cooling and downforce. A scoop hood wouldn’t really benefit the car other than looks and possibly a means of cold air intake so it would be my last choice.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa

We haven't seen what a scoop would look like if they did it properly.

I've loved the Leno hood since I first saw it, so that would still be my choice on aesthetics alone, but I would want numbers on cooling & downforce for all three if I could only pick one.

If the scoop was part of a Cold Air Intake, I would be very tempted. I love functional bits. Dragoneye said he didn't believe there was room under there for the scoop as shown to feed a CAI.

All three options would look good I think. Scoop is riskiest, but could be uber mean looking.

I like that.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I LOVE the current hood design as it is. However, I do like the JL hood. I prefer anything functional.

I'm wondering about the hood on the silver prototype with the slots that are just in front of where the "ZL1" badging is...
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
SuperCarEnthusiast

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOMZL1 View Post
The current ZL1 hood is functional for cooling and downforce so it is my first choice. Leno hood would be my next choice because it appears it could also be somewhat functional for cooling and downforce. A scoop hood wouldn’t really benefit the car other than looks and possibly a means of cold air intake so it would be my last choice.
The hood vents are only made to beef up the car's looks. It is not really needed at all. Just look at the CTS-V! It has no vent hood intake; it get its air from the bottom front intakes.

Even the ZR1 does not have anything like this. It just a marketing hypee that Camaro thought would get it above the Mustang!

So any hood vent would be nice based on looks!
SuperCarEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCarEnthusiast View Post
The hood vents are only made to beef up the car's looks. It is not really needed at all. Just look at the CTS-V! It has no vent hood intake; it get its air from the bottom front intakes.

Even the ZR1 does not have anything like this. It just a marketing hypee that Camaro thought would get it above the Mustang!

Incorrect. At high speeds, it sure does serve a function in reducing pressure and creating "downforce". This is nothing new or a gimmick, and just because a few other vehicles don't have it doesn't mean it's BS.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #9
IOMZL1

Drives: 2015 Z/28 | 2017 Viper ACR Extreme
Quote:

They are not 'needed' by any means but they are wind tunnel tested and add downforce to the car. They also aid in cooling. They are not just for looks, they are engineered to improve performance of the ZL1. For this reason my decision is not only based on looks.
IOMZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
What the last two guys said!!

The ZL1 was "designed to function".

And in a weird way, that's part of what appeals to me about the current hood. And it's relatively intimidating-looking...

"who needs a window? I've got VENTS"
Old 09-29-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
hv92

Drives: .
Quote:

And you call yourself an "enthusiast"...
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

I'm not even going to touch the post above, lol. Someone is obviously not knowledgable about ZL1 - especially details like the hood. There's an FAQ for that, lol...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 09-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #13
hv92

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm not even going to touch the post above, lol. Someone is obviously not knowledgable about ZL1 - especially details like the hood. There's an FAQ for that, lol...
He even said its a "marketing hype".
Old 09-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by hv92 View Post
He even said its a "marketing hype".
No comment...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"