Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vector Motorsports
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection Anything related to keeping your Camaro clean and in good cosmetic condition.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #26
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Adams View Post
If I had to make a guess, I'd say you put it on a little heavy.

Clean them up, re-apply the SVRT with half as much as you used this time, and report back.
I ran into something similar when I did the hood on my 1LE. I ended up reapplying after a wash. I had to buff it pretty well with a MF Towel too.

Initial application left it streaky and uneven with some spots being thicker than others. I applied it too heavy and a little uneven. After the second app and a lot of work with the MF Towel it's G2G.

On a side note some thing similar to SVRT with a little less shine would be the shizz for my application. I actually prefer a more matte look on all my trim and even my tires, especially the hood.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
Old 05-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
See these are the things I have heard. And also seems like they have had a heck of a time getting it off to re apply. Matte look is what I'm asking for. Thanks guys.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 - Black
At first I didn't realize you were talking about the stripes on the car. By trim I thought you meant black plastic grille etc. I don't think you should ever put a "dressing" of any kind on the stripes or adjacent to a painted surface. It will always streak and smear, its not made for that. VRT works best on tires. You will have better luck with something like Adam's quick sealant. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-a...k-sealant.aspx

For stripes, it would be best to spray it on a microfiber towel then apply.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #29
Camaro154

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO IOM
On my matte stripes I put brilliant glaze on first then applied a coat of super VRT. I used the Adams sponge block applying super VRT till coverage was even then I took all the excess off. I must note I was amazed at how much dirt (contamination) was remaining on my stripe after two washes and one of the washes was even a strip wash with Adams APC and car wash. The brilliant glaze brought up so much contamination that my towel was brown on the spots I used to rub the glaze off with. I must admit that I do have more dust on my stripes now after using VRT. I thing UV protection for the stripe is a even trade off though.
Camaro154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #30
HotWheel
Adan

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels edition V6
Thanks for talking about the matte stripe. I've never had a car with a matte stripe, so I was worrying about how to clean it properly. The baby's due for a wash this weekend.
HotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #31
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Just to revisit my earlier post, I followed his video and liked the results...

I used the "Fine Machine Polish" Then followed it up with "SVRT" I like the way it looks. Kind of satin...
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 AM   #32
Blues45th

Drives: 45th anniversary edition v6 3.6L
So I back to the question to Adams rep. What to use on matte strips and under the grill stock matte black without sling or dust build up. I've seen the products on tv. You wear gloves wipe it on and off and that's it. Not a product that needs reapplying. Thanks guys for all the input. I love knowledge.
Blues45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #33
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
The video posted above is how we recommend caring for vinyl stripes using our products. Revive or Fine Machine Polish for correction of light swirls/scratches, then Brilliant Glaze and/or SuperVRT to treat/dress them, depending on the look you like.

I'm not going to recommend any of the "As seen on TV" products out there. Some people use them and love them, and some people have had less-than-ideal results.

You Camaro guys make up a sizable chunk of our SVRT and Brilliant Glaze sales caring for the matte stripes, and for good reason. If the product didn't work as well as we say it does, I don't think we'd sell nearly as much of it.

Place an order if you are interested in trying our products out. If you aren't happy with them, our 110% money back guarantee is always in effect!
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote