Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-23-2014, 09:56 PM   #1
RSloth
[COTW- Never!]

Drives: Slothy; Sloth-like
Shipping the Camaro

So I'm moving from Southern California to Northern Washington here soon.
I'm looking into having the car shipped vs driving.
Any one have any experience on shipping cars?
any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #2
Dubscamaro
Living Life in MPH.

Drives: 15 Summit White 2SS 1LE
That might get pricey..it's really what do you value more? Do you baby each mile or does that matter? Either way I think driving would be cheaper. But IMO, I'd ship it!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #3
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
I had my car shipped from Washington to south east Missouri. It was open container so it was extremelyyyyyyyyy dirty with little rocks all over it. No scratches or chips surprisingly. If u ship it do closed container or get a car cover for it. Also it costed $900 and was set up by the dealer.
Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
Idk how well a car cover would hold up on an open container I remember reading another member had his car shipped and seran/ food service wrapped almost the whole entire car except the driver door to prevent debris and rock chips or anything of that nature during the shipping process
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Supreme Leader
Account Suspended

Drives: MANual
A car cover will hold up. Dealers use it all the time to transport new cars or luxury cars. I've seen them on highways. Just make sure to secure it good.
Supreme Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #6
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
Drive it. I've done that drive at least 20 times. Camaro is made for that kind of trip. I would definately put RainX on the windows before you leave. Also a wax job.

Last edited by Dimitrim; 02-24-2014 at 12:05 AM.
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #7
tahoeacr

Drives: 69 camaro's,'14 1ls slvr 6m
How soon you need the car up there? I might be going up with my trailer around the 10-12th to pick my new car up. Open trailer. There is a small chance at the end of March I might be hauling some cars to Portland Raceway(in your typical race team semi) if you could meet me there and drive it the rest of the way.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
RSloth
[COTW- Never!]

Drives: Slothy; Sloth-like
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr View Post
How soon you need the car up there? I might be going up with my trailer around the 10-12th to pick my new car up. Open trailer. There is a small chance at the end of March I might be hauling some cars to Portland Raceway(in your typical race team semi) if you could meet me there and drive it the rest of the way.
That would be awesome!
But sadly I'm looking for july area.
Im in school till may.. so I can't leave just yet.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
I have done a lot of car deals.. go enclosed.. use a carrier not a broker which mean they have their own truck.. not independent drivers.. confirm that.. most will still lie and say they have their own trucks.. my open trailer experiences were dirty... scratched cars.or damaged. taken off the trailer multiple times before it got to you to move other cars off so ask to be the first on the trailer and not move the car at all...I have done coast to coast... shippers vary.. read their reviews.. I would give you the last one I used but they damaged both cars... my splitter and the car I traded.. they tore off the trunk.. and would not answer the phone or refer their insurance
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:53 AM   #10
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Drive it up should be a great ride and much safer in your hands.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:32 AM   #11
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Uship.com is your friend. I also recommend an enclosed car hauler just far too many issues could arise with an open air trailer.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:03 AM   #12
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
I had mine shipped from around Buffalo,NY to my home in LA. I bought the car from a chevy dealership up there and had to wait 3 wks to get it.

Here's how it works with auto shipping agencies: you call ONE. Because if you call several, none can do any better than the other and they ALL know you're trying to ship. They start off with a bid. The truckers either accept or decline. They start too low,( started mine at $625) no one will bite which was the case. They finally told me they'd have to up the bid price to get bites. Duh! They got a driver to hit on $1000 or $1100. I forget. Anyway your vehicle will not be the only one on the truck. It should be safe in open carrier. Unless you're superstitious and want to pay more for closed carrier. They'll deliver ANYWHERE you want it to be. As long as the addy is not a difficult one to find via GPS. My experience was ok. I was more than anxious having to wait 3 wks, but I was satisfied with the overall shipping. You'll get in the car and back it off the trailer. So take it very easy unless you want to damage something...good luck!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:07 AM   #13
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Do not cover it if it not enclosed. The new cars covers you see are almost a shrink wrap and do not flap. A regular cover will flap in the wind and beat the hell out of your paint.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:44 AM   #14
SSweetride

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS/RS
I used Golden Key Transport last year to ship a Corvette I own from CA to GA. I liked the fact that the same driver picks up and delivers the car, it does not get loaded and unloaded at transfer yards onto different trucks. Took 10 days, cost $1100. Car arrived as it was picked up, no damage or mishaps.