Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 09-22-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
95birdible

Drives: 2012 1SS Camaro Convertible
What a joke about top quality!!

INDIANAPOLIS – When the Chevrolet Camaro Convertible sets the pace for the 2011 Indianapolis 500 this Sunday, it will showcase a top built to last a lifetime, operate worry-free and maintain the appearance of its Coupe sibling.

To assure long-term durability, the convertible top underwent extensive testing during development, being opened and closed more than 22,500 times – three times more than would be expected in a typical 10 years of use. Some of those cycles were performed in extreme conditions; temperatures ranging from minus-22° F to 170° F and humidity of up to 95 percent.

“This past winter we even had our engineers driving 80 of these convertibles back and forth to work every day here in Michigan,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “They had to open and close the top five times each day no matter what the weather was like.”

Every Camaro Convertible undergoes a water test as it completes assembly in Oshawa, Ontario. In addition, vehicles are randomly chosen to undergo an eight-minute water test at the assembly facility in Oshawa and at an identical facility at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, Michigan. More than 7,200 gallons of water are hurled at the car in a hurricane-like downpour at a pace of 900 gallons per minute.

Addressing another aspect of interior comfort, Camaro Convertible’s three-layer top includes an acoustical liner made of rubber sandwiched between an acrylic square weave outer fabric and an inner reinforcing cotton layer. Engineers use a sophisticated human-ear mimicking device called the Aachen Head to measure noise levels. According to recent GM road test data, the Camaro Convertible achieved a better interior quietness acoustical rating than the Ford Mustang in interior quietness.

“For many buyers, a Camaro Convertible can be a collector car, something they might keep for generations. So we made sure the tops would retain their quality for a long, long time,” said Oppenheiser. “There is great value in a convertible with the original top.” Oppenheiser knows the needs for car collectors well. He personally restored a 1969 Camaro Convertible several years ago.

Consistent with its coupe-like performance dynamics, the Camaro Convertible offers the looks of the Camaro Coupe when the top is up. The five bow roof design provides a smooth, taut and carefully tailored appearance that retains the sleek roofline of the coupe.

Unlike other convertible models in the segment, the Camaro top latches with a single, convenient handle located at the center of the windshield header. Once the latch is turned to the open position, the push of a single button lowers the windows and activates the top, which completes its cycle in about 20 seconds
"Green Flash"
95birdible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
95birdible

I just sent this email off to Al Oppenheiser via Facebook. He is on there and I would suggest a nice email what is going on with our tops and what Chevy is doing to fix them.
Since he did say "So we made sure the tops would retain their quality for a long, long, time"
6 weeks is not a long time.
Here is the email I sent.

I have a 2012 1SS Camaro convertible that is going in for a new top with 2269 miles on it due to the rubbing and wear issue. Is there anything being done to address this? I have seen via Camaro5.com and numerous other fan sites that this is a big problem.
I found this quote from you around the time of the Indy 500.

“For many buyers, a Camaro Convertible can be a collector car, something they might keep for generations. So we made sure the tops would retain their quality for a long, long time,” said Oppenheiser. “There is great value in a convertible with the original top.” Oppenheiser knows the needs for car collectors well. He personally restored a 1969 Camaro Convertible several years ago.

Just curious as to what is being done. I have had my car for 6 weeks and it's been in for service 3 times already with a 4th on the way next week.

Thanks and I hope to hear from you.

Jason
"Green Flash"
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
rainey85

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Camaro Vert.
Let us know if ya hear back from him.

rainey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
95birdible

I will for sure.
"Green Flash"
Old 09-22-2011, 04:26 PM   #5
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
You Guys are putting the top up and down wrong!!

*Sarcasm, I'm simply imitating the response I got from Chevrolet in regards to my fried clutch during the much touted "launch control" feature...
Old 09-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #6
95birdible

I got a response back from him. It was positive to say the least.
And before you ask I am not going to give out his personal email nor say what he told me. Sorry
"Green Flash"
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
MannyC

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
So why post then?
MannyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95birdible View Post
To assure long-term durability, the convertible top underwent extensive testing during development, being opened and closed more than 22,500 times – three times more than would be expected in a typical 10 years of use. Some of those cycles were performed in extreme conditions; temperatures ranging from minus-22° F to 170° F and humidity of up to 95 percent.

“This past winter we even had our engineers driving 80 of these convertibles back and forth to work every day here in Michigan,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “They had to open and close the top five times each day no matter what the weather was like.”
What I don't think they did was require anyone to keep it down for any extended period of time. That's when the wear kicks in on mine.
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyC View Post
So why post then?
Yeah... WTF???
Old 09-22-2011, 06:09 PM   #10
95birdible

Why post? Did you not read it that I contacted him via Facebook? Hint! Do I really have to spell it out for you. He gave me his email and said send him my info and info on my car and he will get in touch with me. Hopefully it will go somewhere. It may or may not. At least I have my car back for the nice weekend and the guy that does the tops lives about a mile away from me so I can drop it off at his shop and watch the progress of the new top being installed next week.
"Green Flash"
Old 09-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
hwanger24

Drives: 11 Camaro Convert 2SS/RS
I think I just wasted a minute of my life.. :( .. who can i complain to about this?
hwanger24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #12
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
wasted time, WTF
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #13
mywifesnameishonda

Drives: '10 2SS/RS
That's was wayyy too much reading for no payout.
mywifesnameishonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #14
95birdible

Why is it a waste of time? I told you I emailed Al on Facebook and he responded. Last time I checked, I was the first person to email a higher up in Chevrolet about the top issue. And he responded. Once I get action on that response I will tell you what they are going to do.
"Green Flash"