Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM   #1
RuffEL
Semper Fi! Do or DIE!

Drives: '10 camaro 1SS, '02 silverado 1500
that horrible blindspot on driver side mirror

OK....i know ya'll know how bad that blindspot is...im a fanatic about driving and looking over my shoulder to make SURE no car is in my driver side blindspot....and that area is just a wall looking back there...

suffice it to say ive just forced myself to make sure to remember the last car i passed and wait to see em in the mirror....but!......

I hear there is a safety feature out there that has a light on your side mirrors that senses and warns you when someone is in your blindspot so you dont make a potentially fatal mistake....

has anyone heard about these, and if so can it be put in a camaro?
RuffEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #2
Cheshirelaugh

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro
Others have discussed the side mirror blind spot issue. Someone else pointed out this website as an excellent guide for how to adjust your mirrors. It works great for me.

www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/
Built 5/15
Delivered 6/19
Picked-up 6/22
Cheshirelaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Stick a blind spot mirror on.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Yeah, I found that I must do a double take (full turn around) to check the lane next to me before moving over. The Camaro does have a bad blind spot.
Letting someone else (not familar with the car's blind spot) drive the car is a little scary.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
in addition to already having my mirrors set so I can just barely see my car in them, I seriously have analytical OCD. I memorize where cars are at in relation to myself. like a mental radar on the road.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
in addition to already having my mirrors set so I can just barely see my car in them, I seriously have analytical OCD. I memorize where cars are at in relation to myself. like a mental radar on the road.
The proper way to set the mirrors is to park with a big flat area behind you and adjust both outside mirrors so that when you can no longer see the car behind you in the rear view mirror, you will see it in the side mirror. You do not want to be able to see the car in both the side and rearview mirrors at the same time, but you should be able to see the car tranition from the rearview to the side mirrors. You should also look out of your windows before changing lanes because when you can no longer see the cars in the side mirrors, they are beside you. You should not be able to see the side of your car in the outside mirrors. That is not what they are for.The visibility problem that I am having with my 1SS is backing it into the garage. The rear visibility is terrible. That is the price for the stylish wrap around rear fenders. I have hung tennis balls from the ceilling to help with this. By the way, I love my car and I will adapt to it.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #7
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Stick a blind spot mirror on.
+1
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #8
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffEL View Post
OK....i know ya'll know how bad that blindspot is...im a fanatic about driving and looking over my shoulder to make SURE no car is in my driver side blindspot....and that area is just a wall looking back there...

suffice it to say ive just forced myself to make sure to remember the last car i passed and wait to see em in the mirror....but!......

I hear there is a safety feature out there that has a light on your side mirrors that senses and warns you when someone is in your blindspot so you dont make a potentially fatal mistake....

has anyone heard about these, and if so can it be put in a camaro?
My wifes CX-9 has these built in. Very nice .. a light lights up in the mirror if someone is in your blindspot .. if you use your blinker, an audible sound is made as well . I think all new cars should have these .. they are wonderful!!

Crowley
Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 PM   #9
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirelaugh View Post
Others have discussed the side mirror blind spot issue. Someone else pointed out this website as an excellent guide for how to adjust your mirrors. It works great for me.

Have always adjusted side mirrors this way. Allot of manuals say to adjust so you can just see the side of the car.................. not so much. I don't think the person who wrote that has ever been in a car.................. I believe they recommend adjusting side mirrors this way in order to ensure you'll turn head around and look, don't trust the side mirrors/over cautious. The blind spot is fairly big though.

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #10
five-oh

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Victory Red
I've used this method for many years...totally eliminates the blind spots. Other people that have driven our fleet cars after me think I'm an idiot, but I never could understand why I would want to look at the side of my car in my mirror and then turn my head completely away from the road in front of me to make a lane change.

I read in another publication an easy way to set the mirrors up this way. While parked, line your head up in the middle of the car and adjust the passenger mirror until you can't see the edge of the car. For the driver's side mirror, put you head against the side window and do the same. Works for me, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirelaugh View Post

five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote