Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-01-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
omgitsmiketuck

Drives: 2011 LS V6 (M) & 2019 LS I4 (AT)
Grinding in 2nd after fluid change

Hey guys,

I changed my transmission/diff fluid two days ago. I put in Royal Purple 75W90 gear oil. 1.9 for the transmission, .9 for the diff. Everything went smoothly for the most part but the car was 100% cold when I opened the transmission so fluid was spilling out of the fill hole when i first opened it. Anyway, first day I didn't drive much but I did notice that the shifts seemed smoother. Second day I drove down to Pasadena and back (about 100 miles each way).

When I left Pasadena, I was having some real trouble going from first to second without grinding. Trying to move quickly from a stop is absolutely out of the question. If I crawl from the start, and shift really slow I can get it into 2nd 50% of the time without grinding. I wasn't slamming it into gear or anything... I was able to resolve the issue by double clutching into second, or verrrryy slowly pulling it into gear at low (2k-ish) RPM. My car has 54k on it and my friend thinks it might be that my clutch isn't engaging fast enough. Time for a new clutch? I'm not having any issues with any other gear. Only from a stop... first to second. Thoughts?

If it is my clutch... what are my options? Should I stick with stock or try to save up for an aftermarket (if there even are any). I'm definitely on a tight budget cause i'm trying to buy a house but if there's a reasonable aftermarket solution that's similar to the stock price, i'd just assume go that route.

Otherwise, the fluid change was a positive one. I'm happy with the way the car is running and every gear other than 2nd feels great. Smooth as butter.
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
omgitsmiketuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
When was the last time you bled the brakes and clutch hydraulic system? If never, now will be as good a time as any.

Any air in your system will cause your clutch to not engage fully.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:00 PM   #3
omgitsmiketuck

It's been 10-15k since I did it last. You think it could be old fluid?
2011 Camaro LS (MT) - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Flowmaster 40 Mufflers / CAI Intake / Apex scoop and washer relocate / Epic Engineering Catch Can / SS Stoptech Brake lines / BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs / IPF tune /Magnaflow X-Pipe / 25mm Mace intake spacer / BBK Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats

(Current) 2019 Camaro LS I4 - Vitesse Throttle Controller / Mishimoto intake boot and charge pipes / K&N panel / BMR Sway Bars / GFB DV+ / ZZP Larger Throttle Body
Old 06-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #4
omgitsmiketuck

Scratch that. It's been like a year since I put on the SS brake lines. So around 20-25k