Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #1
SuperSport2011

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss/rs rally yellow L99
pipes vs mufflers

If I take my borla atak mufflers off and just run pipes will the car be louder at idle? Noticeably louder or just a bit? I really like to hear from the people that made the switch. Thank you.
- Kooks high flow cats - Borla atak 2.5" cat back exhaust - Dyno tune - AFM delete - 94 octane tune - Vitesse paddle shifters - Blacked out rims - Costum painted engine cover - T3 stripes - GM locking gas cap
SuperSport2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:42 PM   #2
BubbaSS
WHAT RED LIGHT?!

Drives: 2011 Black Camaro 2SS/RS M6
The ataks are straight through design, but have chambers that tune the sound. Why not just remove your cats? That way your exhaust is louder but remains tuned.
2011 2SS/RS M6 BLACK - VARARAM NO TUNE INTAKE, MODDED AND PORTED TB, PORTED INTAKE MANIFOLD, VITESSE THROTTLE CONTROLLER, DOUG THORLEY LT'S, CATLESS, X-PIPE, 25" STAINLESS WORKS RETRO CHAMBERED MUFFLERS, CUSTOM 2.5" MANDREL BENT EXHAUST, RICHMOND 4.10 GEARS, CUSTOM CAM (231/242 @ 114LSA), MUSTANG DYNO TUNED BY TORQ, 20% CERAMIC TINTS, EIBACH PROKIT SPRINGS 1" DROP, HAWK PERFORMANCE CERAMIC BRAKES, NITTO INVO TIRES, HYDROCARBON TAIL LIGHT AND FOG LIGHT BEZELS BY EMBLEMPROS, METRA DASH KIT, JVC KW-AV71BT, PHOENIX GOLD iAMP GM1, PASSPORT QI45 - 450 RWHP 415 RWTQ
BubbaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:02 AM   #3
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport2011 View Post
If I take my borla atak mufflers off and just run pipes will the car be louder at idle? Noticeably louder or just a bit? I really like to hear from the people that made the switch. Thank you.
I have shorty headers..solo hi flows with magnaflow muffler delete. I do have the stock resonator. Im not sure if its louder then your car at idle...but it gives you a rough idea how loud its is. I must add I just added a tru x pipe and got rid of my stock resonator. It is likely 30% louder at idle now and just screams under wot.

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:26 AM   #4
Jasper

Drives: 2011 Summit White Camaro SS (LS3)
I'm pretty much stocl (LS3) and just cut off the pipes and got the solo j-pipe put in. When you fire it up, it's quite loud (2x above stock i'd say) and spits/backfires a bit more. Then it's very quiet at idle. I don't think it's any louder. In general cruising I'd say it's not much louder than stock however I had the GMPP mufflers on mine which may have been louder stock than the basic muff. When I get on it, It is not too loud until you get to about 3K rpm and then it start so really wake up in loudness (probably 3x louder than stock). Love it. Perfect for driving with the family and not annoying neighbors but real mean sounding. I didn't change my H pipe to an X pipe and resonator is still in there but it's much smaller than the L99 res.
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:28 AM   #5
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
if I were you id take the borla off, take the factory exhaust and do a muffler delete on it and sell the borla. no point in hacking up a perfectly good cat back. if you still have it that is....

as you can see from this pic, there really isn't much restriction aside from the big cans on the back. there's even an integrated H-pipe

Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
take the resonaters off that might be enough