Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
1sickss

Drives: BADDEST SS IN ATL!!!!
NEED TO KNOW AMERICAN RACING HEADERS QUESTION!!! PLEASE HELP ME OUT!!

I WANT TO ORDER THE AMERICAN RACING HEADERS SYSTEM. WELL IN ALL THE PICS I SEE OF IT IT LOOKS LONG AS CRAP, WITH THAT SET UP DO YOU BUY A CATBACK EXHAUST OR JUST AN AXLE BACK THANKS GUYS. I WANNA ORDER IT TOMORROW WITH THE EXHAUST, I JUST NEED TO KNOW IF I NEED CATBACK OR AXLE BACK WITH THIS SET UP. HERES THE LINK AND PIC OF THE SET UP I WANT.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24491
1sickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #2
markssylver

Drives: 95 bbb impala ss
order it by itself install it and see if it sound s good to you if not then add an axle back i have just the headers and expipe sounds good to me no need for more noise it has no drone and has plenty of sound when on it but is quiet when cruising
markssylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #3
1sickss

Quote:
Originally Posted by markssylver View Post
order it by itself install it and see if it sound s good to you if not then add an axle back i have just the headers and expipe sounds good to me no need for more noise it has no drone and has plenty of sound when on it but is quiet when cruising
you need to tune it though dont you? you cant just slap it on there right? i read many places you need to tune it
Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #4
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
you should tune it, but I do not think you have to
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
TeddyP25

Drives: 2SS
Youll need a tune for sure, computer doesnt like the O2 sensor locations, check engine light will come on. I have ARH with long tubes connected to OEM exhaust, sounds good to me but to each his own. Easy install for a non backyard mechanic like myself. On the tune part, you dont have to but to get full benefit of system you should, if ya want
2SS/RS CGM/BLK GFX MN6418 Stroker.785rwhp/885lbtq.50 SHOT NO2..Pfadt arms,toe links,coilovers,swaybars,end links,engine mounts,dif/sub bushings.MGWshifter.Tick LVL 3.ARH1 7/8 LT's/ARH exhaust.ADM gauges/race CAI.E-FORCE SC.8 rib IW 10%OD.LPE dual pump/module.85lb inj,custom valve covers.RMCR tune.TOOLEY RACING CAM.JRE posi kit.JRE fuel upgrade.RX MONSTER CatchCan.DSS axels/DS.Hammerhead rear, 3:73's. WYOSPEED builthttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115687
TeddyP25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:54 PM   #6
1sickss

i called my local gm performance shop and they want $600 "this seemed awfully high to me" to dyno tune after the headers are installed, if thats the case mine as well do the cold air intake and axle back at the same time so those can be tuned all at the same time
Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #7
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
You can get just the ARH headers without the x-pipe, which will connect to any cat-back you want.
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
2L8IWON

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS SIM
Good idea to get the tune all at once. I'm planning that route. ARH headers w/ x-pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, and waiting for the Vararam intake to ship. My car arrives most likely next week, I figure I'll probably end up driving with an engine light on for a couple weeks with a piece of electrical tape over it for night time. I can't wait to put the headers on, but I can wait to do the tune after everything is on.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
1sickss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON View Post
Good idea to get the tune all at once. I'm planning that route. ARH headers w/ x-pipe, Flowmaster exhaust, and waiting for the Vararam intake to ship. My car arrives most likely next week, I figure I'll probably end up driving with an engine light on for a couple weeks with a piece of electrical tape over it for night time. I can't wait to put the headers on, but I can wait to do the tune after everything is on.
what were you quoted on the tune? was it dyno tune?
Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
1sickss

i wanna do mine piece by piece so i can actually see it on the dyno to see what kinda numbers i get with each
Old 11-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Anthony@ARH

Drives: Black s2000, 749 ducati dark
pm sent
Anthony@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
i have my arh system not installed yet but why is there a section missing to connect it to a axle back system ? someone needs to sell just those 2 pipes 2 1/2" and 3" to make all the header systems reach the axle back it's a conspiracy to make you buy the cat back exhaust system to make it work rite then your stuck with 1/2 of your cat back ( the x-pipe part) that you cant use !!! understand ??? the axle back systems need to come with enough pipe to reach the x pipe !!!
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #13
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
I put ARHeaders on mine in July with no tune. It runs great and definatley added power. I have been working overtime and haven't had time to do any other work to the car so far. I've put off paying for a dyno till I get a few other mods done. I just finished a work project (rebuiding a catalitic cracking unit in a refinery) and am taking probably the rest of the year off. Now I have time to play.

I am taking my 2SS LS3 in to install an ADM race version intake and to install a farely aggressive cam. This will happen in a couple weeks and we will be taking lots of pics of the process.

The plan is to get the pics throughout the install and send them to CamaroSpike so he can do a cam swap DIY page. We'll also do before and after dyno and post the results. The work should be done on the 18th and we can get the step by step pics up soon after that.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #14
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
The system will run without being tuned...but you will gain even more power with it tuned.
The long look is because you also get the 3 inch pipes and x-pipe with the full system. If you buy the system that is designed for cat-backs, it ends at the cats, with a 2.5" outlet ready to bolt up to any aftermarket cat-back system.
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote