Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-20-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
bonehead

Drives: xxx
Finally checked out the new Camaro in person- some doubts

Guys, I finally got to see a new camaro in person and sit in it to check out for size and features. After checking it out for 15-20 minutes, I might be having some doubts about my future purchase. Try not to flame me too much as I have been jonesing for the new Camaro like the rest of you, but I have some concerns.

The car in question was a 2SS/RS, yellow (no stripes) black gut, with auto (ugh), I'm a stick guy. I like the outside look of the overall body design, with the rear of the car loosing a few points for it's shear fatness. It could be a little more sleek in the haunches for me. The yellow paint for me would be my first choice, very bright and musclely-looking.

Next to the interior, I am 6'3" 220 and I fit into the car well. Plenty of head and elbow room. A telescoping wheel would of been nice but the overall fit was great. Now to some negative observations. The plastic inserts on the doors were a little cheesy looking for me (too plastic-y looking), I think the console is about 3 inches too high. That emergency brake (dog leg) sticking up above the console looked like a design afterthought as well. So far none of these things were show stoppers but...

The view out of the car is horrible for me. It might be my body shape and height, but the view looking out the windshield is totally blocked by that huge rear view mirror and that big black blob that is painted on the windshield around the mirror. I don't think that I could drive the car with any level of confidence. The visibility is lousy at best for me out of the front. The visibility out of the sides and rear of the car was marginal at best, with the quarter windows ending up totally useless. Note: I drive a big truck daily and know how to use mirrors!

I am now questioning my continuing desire to order a new Camaro for myself. Can anyone out there help me rationalize the visibility issues I am having with this car? I am very distraught, help.
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #2
novajess1972
I Done Caught Diabeetus.

Drives: 1972 Chevelle SS/2010 Tundra
You'll look cool driving it. Screw the rest. LOL.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
The steering wheel is telescopic.

Sure, there's a big difference in visibility between a truck and a sports car. If you want performance and truck visibility, then the Silverado SS may be the way for you to go.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The wheel does telescope btw...

You get used to the shorter windows. I used to daily a truck also and after the first few drives in my camaro i am totally used to the visibility. no problems anymore!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
jimhowie2000

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT/RS & 6 older Chevy's
You'd have to spend some time behind the wheel to really know if it will work for you. I have found that the longer you drive something, the better you acclimate to it. The rearward visibility in my '07 Cobalt SS was pretty lousy and the rear side windows were barely larger in actual glass area than the new Camaro's, but, I adjusted and never had a problem. I will say though that after driving the Cobalt with the crappy visibility, getting into my old 95 Beretta was like being out in the open. The windows were big, the beltline low, I could see perfectly out in all directions and the car just felt easier to maneuver because of this. I did notice I felt the Camaro somewhat like being in a cocoon when I sat in one at the Auto Show but, overall, nothing I can't adjust to. Maybe sit in one for a longer period of time or see if a dealer will let you drive one to adjust to it?
jimhowie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I have zero problems with what you think is a big mirror ( it isn't ) and the blackout is hardly bigger than the mirror. I have driven other cars back to back with the Camaro and it's only slightly different.

You are focussing too much on it in the show room. You need to drive it.

If these items cause you any problems driving, you should be driving SUVs.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #7
SirBrad
The Captain

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS SIM
The only thing I don't like about the car is the Emergency Brake. Interesting that you pointed that out, because I don't recall reading any negative feedback on that so far.

The only problem I have with visibility is backing up...sometimes it's a little hard to see, but nothing too crazy.
SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
Guys, I finally got to see a new camaro in person and sit in it to check out for size and features. After checking it out for 15-20 minutes, I might be having some doubts about my future purchase. Try not to flame me too much as I have been jonesing for the new Camaro like the rest of you, but I have some concerns.

The car in question was a 2SS/RS, yellow (no stripes) black gut, with auto (ugh), I'm a stick guy. I like the outside look of the overall body design, with the rear of the car loosing a few points for it's shear fatness. It could be a little more sleek in the haunches for me. The yellow paint for me would be my first choice, very bright and musclely-looking.

Next to the interior, I am 6'3" 220 and I fit into the car well. Plenty of head and elbow room. A telescoping wheel would of been nice but the overall fit was great. Now to some negative observations. The plastic inserts on the doors were a little cheesy looking for me (too plastic-y looking), I think the console is about 3 inches too high. That emergency brake (dog leg) sticking up above the console looked like a design afterthought as well. So far none of these things were show stoppers but...

The view out of the car is horrible for me. It might be my body shape and height, but the view looking out the windshield is totally blocked by that huge rear view mirror and that big black blob that is painted on the windshield around the mirror. I don't think that I could drive the car with any level of confidence. The visibility is lousy at best for me out of the front. The visibility out of the sides and rear of the car was marginal at best, with the quarter windows ending up totally useless. Note: I drive a big truck daily and know how to use mirrors!

I am now questioning my continuing desire to order a new Camaro for myself. Can anyone out there help me rationalize the visibility issues I am having with this car? I am very distraught, help.
You gotta live with it. If ya don't like it don't do it. Would you try to throw mayo on a dog biscuit because it smelled good so you could eat it?
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Get a MiniVan...too Nit Picky for such a bad@ss car...
Old 06-20-2009, 02:30 PM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
I'm a stick guy.
Name:  huh.gif
Views: 1721
Size:  322 Bytes
Old 06-20-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM2SSRS View Post
You gotta live with it. If ya don't like it don't do it. Would you try to throw mayo on a dog biscuit because it smelled good so you could eat it?
I prefer mustard on my dog biscuits, thank you.

The first time I sat in a 2010 Camaro, the visibility seemed limited. As soon as I had driven less than a block that all went away and everything seemed normal. It never entered my mind after that.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
PsyDoc

Drives: Soon-to-be 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarricSS View Post
Get a MiniVan...too Nit Picky for such a bad@ss car...
Nice. Why is it that when people have concerns that they are being "nit picky"? Someone having a visibility issue is not a "nit picker." The panels being too "plasticky" is something he does not like...so what? He does not care for them. He could replace those panels with aftermarket ones that are currently in development (or perhaps already available as we've seen prototypes), but perhaps he does not want to do this on top of the expense of the car. The emergency brake thing...still just a preference and would take some getting used to just like when we rent a car we have not driven before.
PsyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
My apologies to all the musturd advocates. lol....Mr.ace welder I will say about your signature on lifes journey's was my calling card. At 40 I started to understand what my father harped about for so long. (you'll probably live to regret that Greg) At 47 I FULLY understand AND no longer think I knew more then him at the time. I only wish he was still around to tell him that. Although up to the day he died he thought I did steroids to get where I did. And that shit NEVER even entered my mind or body. I guess he didn't think I took his word of," if your going to do something, do it right or don't do it at all"
serious. I only lived my life by it.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #14
Blownhotrodder

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Youre use to driving a truck with optimal outside vision.
Blownhotrodder is offline   Reply With Quote