Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
First detail, and the results...

So I did my first ever detail with the PC 7424XP. I used Menzera products, SIP (orange pad), then SF4000 (white pad) and finally sealed with the Power lock (red pad, hand removal). Overall it went well. It's a time consuming deal though, ay?!

Results were good. I'd say it removed 90% of the defects and mess that was there. There are still some scratches though. I was happy enough for my first time. With the SIP I used a speed of 5 and made at least two passes. Not being satisfied I did a second run and another two passes.

I need a little more correction though. Like I said, for the first time I am thrilled with the result as it was. In fact I had it "professionally detailed" two years ago and I don't think they got it any better. Yes, I know pics will help, I will post them later. Still need to finish some stuff and then I'll download the pics.

Here's my question, when do you decide to go to a more aggressive pad, vs more aggresivie polishing compound, vs just more passes whith what you have? I mean should I use the SIP with a yellow pad next time, or the more aggressive compound with the same orange pad? Does the pad or the compound make more of the difference?

Last edited by IPT; 10-22-2012 at 01:20 AM.
IPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Angelo@Autopia

Drives: 2014 Ford Focus ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
So I did my first ever detail with the PC 7424XP. I used Menzera products, SIP (orange pad), then SF4000 (white pad) and finally sealed with the Power lock (red pad, hand removal). Overall it went well. It's a time consuming deal though, ay?!

Great to hear you done your first and came out great.

Results were good. I'd say it removed 90% of the defects and mess that was there. There are still some scratches though. I was happy enough for my first time. With the SIP I used a speed of 5 and made at least two passes. Not being satisfied I did a second run and another two passes.

Well 90% is common when doing correction you will come better over time. I recommend going from 4-5 on the speed dial and doing 4-7 passes ( making sure the polish is almost all gone )

I need a little more correction though. Like I said, for the first time I am thrilled with the result as it was. In fact I had it "professionally detailed" two years ago and I don't think they got it any better. Yes, I know pics will help, I will post them later. Still need to finish some stuff and then I'll download the pics.

Here's my question, when do you decide to go to a more aggressive pad, vs more aggresivie polishing compound, vs just more passes whith what you have? I mean should I use the SIP with a yellow pad next time, or the more aggressive compund with the same orange pad? Does the pad or the compound make more of the difference?
I recommend going with M105 with a Orange Flat pad then following up with your SIP using a White Pad. Don't use a Yellow Pad if your someone just starting out because you can do more harm then good.
Angelo@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
IPT

Thanks Angelo - nice to see you guys so active on the boards giving feedback. As I think about it and re-read your response I realize I probably could have worked the SIP more. It certainly was not "almost gone", though not having done this before I'm not sure I would know what "almost gone" looks like. Guess I will just have to really run one spot next time to see how it changes after more and more passes.

Why do you recommend the Megs 105 vs the Menzerna Powergloss?

Here are some pics, comparisons of before, and then after. The after images are all from just the first step correction part. The hood images are after the SF4000 and the Powerlock. Feels like glass now .

The white specs are chips in the paint (10 year old car!). What do you recommend for chips in black paint?

Old 10-22-2012, 12:22 AM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
wow what a difference!

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Huge difference!

I would definitely recommend using SIP longer, about 6 total passes over the area, using speed 6 and firm pressure. This will give you even more correction.

M105 uses a completely different abrasive then most compounds so it won't haze the paint like Menzerna PowerGloss will. M105 also cuts more and cuts faster, it is just newer technology that works great.
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
IPT

Thanks Todd - got your PM too. Thanks for all the support. Nice to see you are there after making the sale too .

Any recommendations about dealing with all those little paint chips? Is there a touch up paint or does that tend to look worse than the chip itself?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #7
Todd@Autopia

Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Thanks Todd - got your PM too. Thanks for all the support. Nice to see you are there after making the sale too .

Any recommendations about dealing with all those little paint chips? Is there a touch up paint or does that tend to look worse than the chip itself?
There are paint filling systems that work well, although nothing that will look perfect. Dr. Colorchip is a nice system (again as long as your expectations are not perfection).
Todd@Autopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:19 AM   #8
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
WOW that looks amazing!! Good job
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonAKOO View Post
WOW that looks amazing!! Good job
- thanks, I was pretty happy. I love getting out and closing the car door as it is so slick it just slips right off my fingers.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
SolomonAKOO

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Yeah that's always a great feeling!