Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #561
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Pete, you mentioned heat-soak in your Pedder's S/C Camaro...it's WORSE with TT...
Yep, we need a functional heat extractor hood on our Z/28 along with ambient air feed. I am not looking for ram air or anything like that, but a true external air feed. I wonder if GM would consider coating the inside and outside of the cast exhuast manifolds to help control under hood temps with our LS7?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #562
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Heat soak so I moved to Texas where it is 100 degrees everyday since my move but it is sunny
over 122 where I'm at. I get heat soaked every day. . .

I prefer an NA car for a track car. period. as for the LS7. . .I don't want it. with the proper tune it would be fine but knowing my luck I'd do something and then have it blow up in my face. ie my 98 camaro leaned out and threw a rod. at least it ran a 12.5002 at 111.9 before it blew. no power adders.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #563
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
over 122 where I'm at. I get heat soaked every day. . .
Do you work next to a furnace?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #564
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The TT-LS6 used ACP's carbon fiber World Challenge double vented hood...STILL an issue for it. Heat wrapped everything in sight...STILL an issue...double-coated headers/exhaust...STILL an issue...on a 75 degree day! Desert SouthWest? Forget it...Firebird, Laguna Seca, LVMS...you'd think the thing would MELT! Easy 100 hp drop-off...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #565
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Number 3, we'll find out the depth of our relationship @ Woodward this August... You DID say the first Michelob was "on you", didn't you?! The 2nd and 3rd...waiting for you!

Current Z06 vs. potential Z/28...and I predict 10,000+ LS7 ZEEs (which is several times current Z06 volume). Ford is "constrained" (their word) to a total of less than 5,000...4,000 "Base" and 750 LSs, according to "plan".

BTW, 1969 ZEE sales totalled 20,302 units. '69 BOSS 302 = less than 2,000...'70 BOSS 302 = 7,000

"If you build it, they will come..."
10,000 would be a reasonable volume (opinion) out of Wixom, espcially considering the current Corvette volume :(

Quote:
Heat soak so I moved to Texas where it is 100 degrees everyday since my move but it is sunny
Didn't you watch any cowboy movies growing up? LOL

Quote:
The TT-LS6 used ACP's carbon fiber World Challenge double vented hood...STILL an issue for it. Heat wrapped everything in sight...STILL an issue...double-coated headers/exhaust...STILL an issue...on a 75 degree day! Desert SouthWest? Forget it...Firebird, Laguna Seca, LVMS...you'd think the thing would MELT! Easy 100 hp drop-off...
Heat is a HP killer...........and ultimately and engine killer.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #566
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Might have to add employees. That should push the unemployment % in the right direction. So building the Z28 is obviously the right thing to do.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 PM   #567
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Oh, sorry, is this mean?

I put that up a while back.......................thought it, ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, appropriate.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:37 PM   #568
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
If you put a lower output engine of the same family in front of the same transmission, driveshaft, axles etc. it can reduce the overall cost to validate the product. However, it does not eliminate the need to validate. You would still have a ton of development time, calibration time, etc.
It is less, but far from ZERO.

I was afraid of that

It's just a low volume hand built engine. I don't know the plans on this one, but as long as the engine is emissions compliant or the year, not sure why they couldn't continue.

I thought it was stated that the LS7 was near the end of its life cycle? Probably just a rumor I read.... oops... my bad

Keep looking

Oh I will.... I really want a Z/28. Just trying to figure out if the business case supports a LS7 or not

It depends. If you change ride height you would have to re do side impact testing as just one example as that would position the occupant lower than what you previously tested to.

Well I would assume the Z/28 would be lower than a SS.... Soooo more validation costs there... booooo

Like I said above, it depends on what you do. Bigger wheels with smaller rim to ground clearance need to be looked at even if you maintain ride height. Change ride height and you have to confirm a bunch of other things.

As we often say, the devil is in the details.

I dont work for GM but Im really not liking all the details yall have to go buy

I am learning a lot though.....
Quote:
Not the best conditions for testing eh? Should have just moved to yuma.... at least then you would be close to the proving grounds!

Quote:
I wonder if GM would consider coating the inside and outside of the cast exhuast manifolds to help control under hood temps with our LS7?
Why do you keep adding to the cost of our Z/28.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Might have to add employees. That should push the unemployment % in the right direction. So building the Z28 is obviously the right thing to do.
Im starting to Zee the blindness in your eyes.....
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #569
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
YeZ love iZ blind!

Yes, Anything I can do to push the idea of a 5Gen Z28 into the realm of possibility I'll continue to do it. I'm trying to be as reasonable as warranted, but I want one!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #570
ShnOmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
YeZ love iZ blind!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #571
ShnOmac

Quote:
Oh, sorry, is this mean?

I put that up a while back.......................thought it, ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, appropriate.
Well played Dr. Zevil...... well played
Old 07-13-2011, 09:15 AM   #572
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Oh, sorry, is this mean?

Grr... Yes - that's mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
Well played Dr. Zevil...... well played

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #573
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

EAR Candy!!
Old 07-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #574
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

It just occurred to me there is HISTORICAL PRECEDENCE for Camaro receiving a mass-marketed engine ahead of Corvette. Anyone remember?

Yup...1967, the Camaro's inaugural year. The soon-to-be mass-marketed engine? The 350. Fully TWO MODEL YEARS ahead of Corvette.

GEN-5 V8 Camaro-bound?

Z/28-bound?

Stay tuned...

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro