Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #29
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Quick question to someone

If I wait a year to remove hood wrap will paint underneath still be in good shape.

Has anyone done this.

My plan is to eventually remove it and paint just the center raised scoop in a the same matte flat black slightly satiny finish that we see some total cars painted in these days. I think they may look great. But right now I'm still suffering from my trade in of my 2013 2LTRS V6 for the 1LE.

Want to spend any money I can muster on performance upgrades.

Thanks
Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:09 AM   #30
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
No guarantee but I doubt that would be an issue. Worst case scenario that I can imagine is that the Body Shop needs to re-clear the parts you want shiny. Odds are though it would just take some cleaning/ polishing and wax.

I think what you have planned might look good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old 06-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #31
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Soap, water and a towel is all you need! Stop putting products on your vinyl wraps. Dry off in a shaded area to prevent water spots, and perfect. Less is more do not make it complex when it doesn't need to be. The vinyl wrap was put on the 1LE to reduce glare why are you adding glare by making it shiny which will eventually become dull and cause discolorization eventually.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #32
OzzySS

Drives: 2013 2SS/1LE, 2004 Cavalier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
If I wait a year to remove hood wrap will paint underneath still be in good shape.

Has anyone done this.

My plan is to eventually remove it and paint just the center raised scoop in a the same matte flat black slightly satiny finish that we see some total cars painted in these days. I think they may look great. But right now I'm still suffering from my trade in of my 2013 2LTRS V6 for the 1LE.

Want to spend any money I can muster on performance upgrades.

Thanks
Jim

it'll likely be harder to remove the wrap then. You'll want to heat it longer, and probably have a harder time getting it in just a few pieces, and more residue to clean. Other than that, you should be fine

OzzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #33
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Soap, water and a towel is all you need! Stop putting products on your vinyl wraps. Dry off in a shaded area to prevent water spots, and perfect. Less is more do not make it complex when it doesn't need to be. The vinyl wrap was put on the 1LE to reduce glare why are you adding glare by making it shiny which will eventually become dull and cause discolorization eventually.
Though I am only a few weeks into ownership, I have found the same to be true. I admit I am not as picky as many here, but it works for me. Hell, I am old school. I wash using one big bucket!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #34
racerx1214

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I don't see how putting something with UV protecting properties, such as VINYL rubber trim protectant will cause discoloration. It looks dull without anything on it and doesn't match the sheen of the wheels or the spoiler.
racerx1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #35
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx1214 View Post
I don't see how putting something with UV protecting properties, such as VINYL rubber trim protectant will cause discoloration. It looks dull without anything on it and doesn't match the sheen of the wheels or the spoiler.
It's not suppose to match completely. Depending on shade it matches. In any case the reason like I mentioned about for it being dull is to reduce glare for track use.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #36
Cleancoupe

Drives: 18 ZL1 1LE
Has anyone tried "Meticulous Matte Detailer"? The guy who put my clear bra on today stays it works really good on vinyl & was made for the matte black. Suppose to leave a natural finish.
Cleancoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 AM   #37
Austin45
The Logistician

Drives: 2012 LFX 45th Anniversary
That stuff is amazing! I use it on my stripes.
Old 06-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #38
Firefighter

Who makes the Meticulous Matte Detailer?

Old 06-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #39
scocamp

Drives: IOM 2013 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post

chemicalguys.com
scocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #40
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post

This was the last product I tried. Didn't work. Problem is once the wrap has been exposed to any glossifiers from wash soap or water spots or any staining it becomes impossible to clean and keep it absolutely matte. I am glad many here have found a process that works for them. I never could, mainly because I would not compromise on wanting the flat look. Not that it matters but I get paid to detail. My long term solution will be to have the hood painted flat black and then covered with a matte clear coat.

tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #41
Firefighter

I actually like it to be more satin... I'm pretty sure the Adams method is all I need.

I do have plans of changing the hood next year, and I plan to do the matte paint method also.

I want to do the ACS GTZ hood it looks almost stock until you get close enough to realize it has the vent.

http://www.acscomposite.com/store/#!...626&id=2068469
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #42
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
ACS has high quality products that they are very proud of. That is one of the only after market hoods i would consider.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote