Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
CamaroKitty

Drives: 2010 Silver Ice 2LT RS V6
I just reported the same problem to my dealer on Tuesday. Mine isn't nearly as bad as that pic but in the exact same spots. The service manager suggessted I wait a little while in case it was just a symptom of an even bigger problem.

SS4PK...what do you mean an allignment problem??
CamaroKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #30
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
allignment problem -- if you slide a pice of paper in the gap between the bumper cover and the metal fender, a piece of paper slides fine until you reach the place where the paint is messed up. I think there is no room for expansion and contraction at that exact point, so the paint tears there. If everybody looking at this thread is having the same problem in the same spot, it isn't the paint it is the location, like that is an attachment point and it is just too tight.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #31
FISHTAIL

Drives: Sedan & 2SS / RS
Hi guys, I'm a ASE certified Automotive Refinishing Tech with over 20 yrs in the field and I've been working as a Technical Sales Rep for a mayor Automotive paint company for the past 12 yrs (company will be unnamed) When a body shop or a dealership has a paint related problem they call someone like me.

After looking at these revealing pictures, I can tell you that this has nothing to do with anything rubbing together and has everything to do with lack of adhesion. This can be caused by improper cleaning or lack of the plastic adhesion promoter that’s needed for paint to stick to a plastic part. What scares me is that this doesn't look to be an isolated case. These kinds of things happen in batches, and will continue to happen until someone catches it and changes the procedure on the manufacturing level.

Lets hope that the rest of the bumper is ok, because in my experience a quick fix at the dealer will only fix the obvious problem but if the rest of the bumper has the same adhesion problem it will show somewhere else and eventually the bumper will have to be removed and striped to the raw plastic. Then the bumper will have to be cleaned, prepped and sprayed with a proper adhesion promoter before it can be refinished. A LOT OF WORK! Several days worth.

Well these are my two cents.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #32
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
great, thanks, try and not spread all your good news at once. seriously thanks for your 0.02

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 PM   #33
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
great, thanks, try and not spread all your good news at once. seriously thanks for your 0.02
, Lets hope this want be ongoing!
NAHURRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:43 PM   #34
heinzd01

Drives: 2010 SS RS, 1976 Type LT
I saw this same thing on the dealers V6 VIN 101962 which was also rally yellow.
heinzd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #35
diecast17
Manual, Polished Wheels

Drives: 2LT/RS Transformers Edition
Send a message via AIM to diecast17
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHTAIL View Post
Hi guys, I'm a ASE certified Automotive Refinishing Tech with over 20 yrs in the field and I've been working as a Technical Sales Rep for a mayor Automotive paint company for the past 12 yrs (company will be unnamed) When a body shop or a dealership has a paint related problem they call someone like me.

After looking at these revealing pictures, I can tell you that this has nothing to do with anything rubbing together and has everything to do with lack of adhesion. This can be caused by improper cleaning or lack of the plastic adhesion promoter that’s needed for paint to stick to a plastic part. What scares me is that this doesn't look to be an isolated case. These kinds of things happen in batches, and will continue to happen until someone catches it and changes the procedure on the manufacturing level.

Lets hope that the rest of the bumper is ok, because in my experience a quick fix at the dealer will only fix the obvious problem but if the rest of the bumper has the same adhesion problem it will show somewhere else and eventually the bumper will have to be removed and striped to the raw plastic. Then the bumper will have to be cleaned, prepped and sprayed with a proper adhesion promoter before it can be refinished. A LOT OF WORK! Several days worth.

Well these are my two cents.
I am a licensed motor vehicle damage appraiser in Pennsylvania who has worked in body shops and I agree 100%. It is sad seeing this problem from the factory. I am used to seeing this from a body shop that did a poor repair, but not from the factory. I hope they have fixed this as my car will be built the end of this month.
diecast17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #36
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by diecast17 View Post
I am a licensed motor vehicle damage appraiser in Pennsylvania who has worked in body shops and I agree 100%. It is sad seeing this problem from the factory. I am used to seeing this from a body shop that did a poor repair, but not from the factory. I hope they have fixed this as my car will be built the end of this month.
My husband and I got our Camaros in June, IOM and Red jewell, and neither of them show any signs of paint problems.
Good luck with yours, but I'm thinking you should be fine too!
Old 10-17-2009, 04:08 PM   #37
FFPM73
Firefighter/Paramedic

Drives: RJT 2SS/RS M6 LS-3
That happened too mine as well. Here is what I was told, Chevy also had that same issue with a lot of Corvettes. Reason why: they (factory) is applying the white shipping paper before the paint is completely curred. My dealership re-sprayed the rear (warranty work) and I have not had any problems since.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:43 PM   #38
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFPM73 View Post
That happened too mine as well. Here is what I was told, Chevy also had that same issue with a lot of Corvettes. Reason why: they (factory) is applying the white shipping paper before the paint is completely curred.
It's poor prep work.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #39
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
OK, well I hear this poor prep work and I just have to laugh. I took mine in about a few months ago and had it fixed. Guess what it happend AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! The dang bumpers are held in with clips and pulled of with suction cups. There is flexing going on so it rubs. I took it in to the dealer again and said we can do it again but you are just going to be back. I told them I am putting it up for winter and going to come back in the spring and hopefully GM has a solution. The dealership has been in contact ( so they say ) with GM without any soution. Good luck to everyone who has this problem.
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:24 PM   #40
coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutch720 View Post
OK, well I hear this poor prep work and I just have to laugh. I took mine in about a few months ago and had it fixed. Guess what it happend AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!! The dang bumpers are held in with clips and pulled of with suction cups. There is flexing going on so it rubs. I took it in to the dealer again and said we can do it again but you are just going to be back. I told them I am putting it up for winter and going to come back in the spring and hopefully GM has a solution. The dealership has been in contact ( so they say ) with GM without any soution. Good luck to everyone who has this problem.
How many miles since your first repair. My wifes seems to be holding up fine after the repair to hers.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #41
kutch720

Drives: Camaro 1LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
How many miles since your first repair. My wifes seems to be holding up fine after the repair to hers.
I have about 1200 miles on the repair. It may have started sooner and I just did not see it. I really am annoyed!!
kutch720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #42
WICKEDSS
Dan

Drives: THE BEAST
Most of the pics i see are RY......has it happen to any of the other colors?
WICKEDSS is offline   Reply With Quote