Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #43
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Ok. What were they testing? Why are they testing it again now?

Why was a 2019 SS testing on the Nürburgring with the C8 two weeks ago?

I'm holding back any optimism that GM is spending any of Number 3's pension money potential on our beloved Camaro. It does however make me wonder if they realize that Camaro is bleeding out faster than they planned and are resurrecting projects that were underway but cancelled when they dropped everything to chasing BEV.
I guess the same reason they have a Porsche 911 GT2 RS and a Porsche 911 GT3 at the GM proving grounds. The Camaro is a great car to compare the C8 to. I would love for them to be testing something new but its not going to happen in my opinion. That car has been spotted there several times over the years. I think it would be a great idea to keep a front engine beast with a manual transmission option other then a Cadillac. I hope Im wrong but it just seems like I'm not.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 07:39 PM   #44
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly1119 View Post
I guess the same reason they have a Porsche 911 GT2 RS and a Porsche 911 GT3 at the GM proving grounds. The Camaro is a great car to compare the C8 to. I would love for them to be testing something new but its not going to happen in my opinion. That car has been spotted there several times over the years. I think it would be a great idea to keep a front engine beast with a manual transmission option other then a Cadillac. I hope Im wrong but it just seems like I'm not.
I agree with you. 100%

Wishful thinking

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:07 PM   #45
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

I'm holding back any optimism that GM is spending any of Number 3's pension money potential on our beloved Camaro. It does however make me wonder if they realize that Camaro is bleeding out faster than they planned and are resurrecting projects that were underway but cancelled when they dropped everything to chasing BEV.
We are dealing with two separate vehicles here. Are they somehow connected? It’s possible but I wouldn’t bet on it. The one on the car carrier could be something being shipped for test. Or it could be something being shipped to storage because it’s no longer needed. Or it could be like RLHMarines suggested, a Gen VI V8 test mule. Similarly, the car testing at the Ring could be driver training for GM’s test drivers. Or it could be a support vehicle for the team testing the C8. I doubt it has anything to do with a new vehicle coming to production because if it were, it would be in 95-100% content (or lap times mean nothing) and in camo because that’s how GM does new product.

If they are connected, then it would be a matter of testing of the Gen VI, since you don’t have to camo the car to test an engine. But why take a new engine to the Ring? Nothing proven by doing that that couldn’t be proven at any speedway in the US.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:46 PM   #46
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
We are dealing with two separate vehicles here. Are they somehow connected? It’s possible but I wouldn’t bet on it. The one on the car carrier could be something being shipped for test. Or it could be something being shipped to storage because it’s no longer needed. Or it could be like RLHMarines suggested, a Gen VI V8 test mule. Similarly, the car testing at the Ring could be driver training for GM’s test drivers. Or it could be a support vehicle for the team testing the C8. I doubt it has anything to do with a new vehicle coming to production because if it were, it would be in 95-100% content (or lap times mean nothing) and in camo because that’s how GM does new product.

If they are connected, then it would be a matter of testing of the Gen VI, since you don’t have to camo the car to test an engine. But why take a new engine to the Ring? Nothing proven by doing that that couldn’t be proven at any speedway in the US.
I wasn't thinking the two were connected. My imagination was spinning with the idea that a LT2 for the SS was aborted. Engine testing in plain sight so no camo.

samurai observed that the SS had US plates so GM car. The plates are bolted to the fascia instead of the bracket design that blocks the opening. GM bailed on the Camaro in 2018. Why was it even there?

Just my imagination running away with me...

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 03:06 AM   #47
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Motortrend picked up the news and has some new insider details:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...kwing-upgrade/

A Z/28 will not happen, but according to their sources the ZL1 1LE will get a mild spec upgrade with things we see on the CT5-V Blackwing. So maybe the Camaro on the Ring was testing some stuff like new Magnetic Ride calibration?

I am happy that at least they will do something as a final Camaro 6, even though it won't be a full Z/28
Old 08-26-2021, 08:09 AM   #48
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post

A Z/28 will not happen, but according to their sources the ZL1 1LE will get a mild spec upgrade with things we see on the CT5-V Blackwing. So maybe the Camaro on the Ring was testing some stuff like new Magnetic Ride calibration?

I am happy that at least they will do something as a final Camaro 6, even though it won't be a full Z/28
This seems like by far the most plausible explanation, at least adding revised MagneRide. I could see the Blackwing's MagneRide having comparable performance to the DSSV system. But I don't know if they can add CCBs without making the ZL1 1LE a $90,000 car...
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:51 AM   #49
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...5-v-blackwing/

"Considering that Motor Trend tends to get the headline right but the details wrong, the accuracy of this latest report is suspect. For example, it would be near impossible to retrofit a Camaro with MR 4.0 technology. It’s not just a damper change, as we recently interviewed GM’s magnetic ride suspension guru, and you can read all about those details here."
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:21 PM   #50
JitteryJoe

Drives: 21' LTI, '18 Traverse, '15 Mazda 6
Definitely some wishful thinking on my part but does 18hp even warrant an emissions retest? Even if it did can't a manufacturer use testing from a similar car? I vaguely recall reading that the Ford C Max's MPG was grossly overstated because they were allowed to use data from the Fusion.
JitteryJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:31 PM   #51
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
The Challenger isn't exactly a beautiful new design either but continued powertrain improvements keep the sales figures coming. I know it would be rare but if gm borrowed a play from the Dodge playbook but an upgrade in horsepower could just sell some cars keeping the product line alive a little longer. It wouldn't be that difficult to make a different hood bump. Or maybe they'll slip a 430hp 572 in there. Lol

Last edited by 396ssrat; 09-03-2021 at 01:52 AM.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #52
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:

Fun fact. I quietly retired from GM in April and cashed out lump sum. So I'm good! But thanks.

Still working though which is why "quietly".
Old 09-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #53
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
There is something strange going on at GM as far as testing.

Even just a few years ago you could count on camouflaged cars 80 weeks prior to start of production. Cars with headlamps about 50 weeks.

Hummer EV? A few driving around, even at Woodward. Lyriq? How many test cars driving around? It launches next Spring. Nothing. Of course they've shown both so camo isn't needed but very few public sightings. So GM is getting development done without using public roads.

As for any Camaro? If it maintains WB and track you could do an Alpha 2 based Camaro under the skin of a current car. So who knows. But GM is doing things differently.
Old 09-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #54
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Fun fact. I quietly retired from GM in April and cashed out lump sum. So I'm good! But thanks.

Awesome! Exactly why I retired when I did. Took my pension in lump sum and put it in investment products earning 4X what it was performing at in the GM retirement system. Then got a job doing pretty much what I was doing at GM.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #55
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post

Now GM can finally open the floodgates and design a brand new 7th gen that everyone will love, without jeopardizing our resident (ex-)insider's financial status

But seriously, that's great news, hope you'll enjoy these coming years

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #56
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
Quote:

I'm just happy there will be a 2023 model year Camaro. I have more time to think about replacing ss 1le with new one, or maybe a zl1. I can't be the only thinking this way!
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote