Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #85
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf View Post
Couldn't tell ya. However, because they merged with SEARS and created Sears Holding Corp, TECHNICALLY they have hundreds if not thousands of SEARS stores under their control now that they didn't before, so...
Exactly. Kmart (the old store) is virtually no more. They had to merge to survive.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #86
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo View Post
I think we all need to realize the fact that it is what it is. Hopefully GM will come out ok and eventually will be profitable. Then the government will sell to the open market at fair market value so we wont be making any more speculative accusations.
FMV is speculative though with a large corporation. Can you imagine the amount of money the government would make off the sale of GM? How would they pay the taxes on that??
Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #87
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
Exactly. Kmart (the old store) is virtually no more. They had to merge to survive.
I guess I don't see the problem here. They are now the appropriate size in proportion to their market.

Isn't that exactly what GM is trying to do?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #88
dkb

Drives: '94 RX7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
Please don't test me. Everyone has done just fine up until this point. It is a forum rule not my personal vendetta against political debate. All the mods uphold this.

Now, I don't dispute the relationships you maintain. Everyone wants to siphon off some leverage/contol/profitability here. And I tend to agree that letting GM go bankrupt last year was the better choice IMO. I didn't feel that way then but I do know. My personal contention now is that if GM went through Chap 11 whithout fed loans. They could get out of the union choke hold and start over. Maybe even move to right to work states where they don't have to have unions....

FWIW.
I'm totally with you in the sense that I wish to GOD that politics had nothing to do with my car .... but ... it does ....

I'm now off to stick my head in the sand by looking at cool SS pics .... my dealer tells me mine was built last week ....

ignorance is bliss ....
dkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #89
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
/shudder - i was thinking about this and trying to figure out, who could GM merge with to help itself (besides the government), for some reason Ford popped into my head. Ford/GM merger? I think loyalists everywhere would lose their minds!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:48 PM   #90
bballr4567

Quote:
I guess I don't see the problem here. They are now the appropriate size in proportion to their market.

Isn't that exactly what GM is trying to do?
Yes. However, the old Kmart isnt around anymore. They arent a company by themselves. Do you think that Kmart will ever unmerge from Sears?

GM had to merge with the government to survive. How will it unmerge from the government?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #91
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
They plan to turn around GM as quickly as possible just like Chrysler.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #92
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkb View Post
I'm totally with you in the sense that I wish to GOD that politics had nothing to do with my car .... but ... it does ....

I'm now off to stick my head in the sand by looking at cool SS pics .... my dealer tells me mine was built last week ....

ignorance is bliss ....
ok, great, don't bring them up then. that simple.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:51 PM   #93
Brokinarrow

Quote:
Yes. However, the old Kmart isnt around anymore. They arent a company by themselves. Do you think that Kmart will ever unmerge from Sears?

GM had to merge with the government to survive. How will it unmerge from the government?
They'll slowly buy back their stock and start selling it on the market again. Eventually GM WILL be completely private again. And if they do well and become an industry leader again, whoever sticks their neck out to buy a few shares of early stock may get a nice surprise
Old 06-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #94
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:

Sears could sell off Kmart once it becomes a profitable organization just like Gov could do with GM. I think the bigger question is will they...

But this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison... Sears is in the retail business. The Gov is not in the car business...

Again this is one of those round robin arguments. For now, I'll agree to disagree.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 PM   #95
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
They'll slowly buy back their stock and start selling it on the market again. Eventually GM WILL be completely private again. And if they do well and become an industry leader again, whoever sticks their neck out to buy a few shares of early stock may get a nice surprise
Fingers crossed.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #96
bballr4567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
When though? I know Im being a stickler but the government doesnt have to sell any bit of what it owns of GM. Why would they sell it if they are making tons of cash of them? Again, how does the government govern itself on this issue?

Quote:
Sears could sell off Kmart once it becomes a profitable organization just like Gov could do with GM. I think the bigger question is will they...

But this is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison... Sears is in the retail business. The Gov is not in the car business...

Again this is one of those round robin arguments. For now, I'll agree to disagree.

Im not disagreeing just trying to figure this out. Its the first of its kind and hopefully the last.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #97
Red Hot
:)

Drives: 2SS RS Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazca View Post
First post. Long time reader at Camaro5.com
---

GM will not be the company you all remember... the Obama administration will own 70% of this company. Look at any profitable company that the government owns... you can't. The ones they own don't make a profit. I'm looking to own a pony car at the end of 2010. Right now Ford's looking really nice...

Just something to think about. Pontiac, Hummer, SAAB are all brands that won't be produced anymore.

The Obama administration will tell them what cars to produce, and they will get 30-35+ MPG. How can they do this? They will own 70% of the damn company!

GM will not turn a profit and will eventually go completely bankrupt. Crazy stuff...
Our Z06 gets 30mpg on the highway. Those little S**t cars get around 35 and are a lot less safe, and I wouldn't want to have to drive one of them on Michigan roads. I don't see what the big deal is with the mileage. I heard that the exhause coming out of the American cars in L.A. is cleaner than it is going in.
Seems like too much control for a free world presidency if they are going to tell us what we HAVE to drive. Looks like we're doing ok without someone dictating every little thing. Guidelines are good, just not forced life changes.
Red Hot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:04 PM   #98
Seawolf

Drives: Ordered:2SS HyperBlue/Ceramic White
Quote:

I agree. We really aren't comparing two things that are comparable. Both Sears and Kmart were two non-government owned companies.

However, there is a misconception that Sears bought out Kmart and that Sears has a controlling say-so in their business dealings. That isn't exactly true. Don't let the name Sears Holdings fool you. By the same token, Kmart didn't buy out Sears. What happened was a third party, can't remember the guy's name to save my life but he was ludicrously rich, pretty much bought Kmart while they were in or coming out of bankruptcy. Later, the same man or group of men bought Sears and decided to merge the two together to create a more formidable company. Both brands retained their respective names and stores.

Anyway, this isn't about Kmart or Sears. And it's true that no one really knows what's going to happen with GM. Everything anyone is saying at this point is purely speculation and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Let's all just pray that GM comes out of this right-side-up in some way. After all, who's going to build the 2011 Camaro if they don't?

2/5/2016: Ordered -- '16 order never picked up...
4/28/2016: Ordered '17
5/3/2016: 2000.......5/31/2016: 3400
5/4/2016: 3000.......6/14/2016: 3800
5/9/2016: 3000.......6/15/2016: 4200
TPW 6/6/2016..........6/17/2016: 4300
5/25/2016: 3100......6/18/2016: 4200
5/28/2016: 3300......6/21/2016: 5000
..............6/22/2016: 6000..............
Seawolf is offline   Reply With Quote