Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
Motivational help

Alright so I'm going to be askin for any tips you older, more experience guys and gals might have... but first I'll give you a little background behind my habits.

So I'm a junior in high school, turn 17 in 2 days and just signed up for my classes for next semester. My GPA is a 3.6 and I'm currently taking:
Spanish 2
Honors Physics
Honors English
Honors Chemistry
Algebra 3
AP US History

I'm not having a horrible issue keeping up with it right now, but I'm also working 30+ hours to buy a new camaro.

So here's where my issue is really starting to come into play. On top of all of those classes I signed up for an early morning weightlifting class to stay in shape for the our Varsity Tennis season (starts in April). So I have realistically drawn this out, I will go to school from 5:30 until almost 4, and during Tennis I'll be there until at least 6. this gives me an hour after school, plus an hour or so when I get home from work. Now in this block of a couple of hours I'm having issues with not being on my computer for that entire time (C5 for the most part). for right now I need some advice on focusing.. and I know most if not all of you have or are going to college and may have some random methods you used.

As for the future.. well hell I may need more help than I can ask for as I am planning on going to Med school
any input will be appreciated, but I have an odd suspicion that the majority of my responses will say something along the lines of "lose the job and focus on school" but I have to pay for everything myself in my family. I pay for gas, insurance, food, etc. and need a job so that's out of the question.

Thanks again everyone

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
If you have to pay for EVERYTHING by yourself, then you should not even think about buying a new car. Just get something that runs.

You likely will need a student loan for $100,000.

Just keep getting good grades, look for scholarships. If you are good in math, physics and chemistry you should get an engineering degree but whatever floats your boat.

Motivational help = just focus on not wanting to be homeless and jobless.

I was dirt broke the entire time i was in college. i didn't care. I just wanted to graduate. That's the goal. buying a new car isn't a real goal. anyone who can inhale air can buy a new car and have a 40K debt. but few actually attend/graduate med school.

Well good luck !

Last edited by 2001ragtop; 10-29-2010 at 02:27 PM.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #3
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I agree with ragtop. The sad fact about paying for college by yourself (trust me, I know - its what I do) is that you won't have enough money for a new car. It took me three years of college to realize that. So I got a 1993 Z28 instead and love the hell out of this car. But priority number 1 should be your school.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I made the mistake of buying a $40k car right when I graduated high school. I was making $50k a year, but was also paying for my college, and working full time. It was IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with everything. I wanted to enjoy college life, make $$ and didnt really focus on school.

I ended up loosing my job, my car, and having to drop out of school. And I regret to this day. It took 10 years to rebuild my credit.

I am lucky because I have been able to keep a stable job for the last 9 years that pays me well. But I also have no education, degree or much to fall back on.

You're going to be in school for along time (med school), which means you will be BROKE for along time. I have to agree with the others, wait on the car. Get something cheap and reliable for now.

Use the car as a motivator to finish college! Nice Z28 to reward yourself.

Seriously, I know the "gotta have it" feeling, but it will be better to wait.

Jason
Redemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Bulldogwinters
SS #2431

Drives: 2001 Pewter Camaro SS
first off, appreciate all of the input, but I forgot to put in that I already have close to 9K and the camaro I want isn't exactly "new", It's an 02 z28 for 14K dollars. I'll have it paid off before my senior year even starts. My paychecks make me about a thousand dollars a month, plus at least 200 in tips. I don't have an issue with paying off the car, and I wouldn't even think of getting myself into debt in high school.. I just figured I would throw that in there since it is C5 and all

I definitely like the whole aspect of focusing on not being homeless and jobless though, I unfortunately am the responsible one of my siblings. my sister is currently living out of a hotel, continually getting bailed out by both my parents and me. I know some of you may not agree with lending money to my 22 year old sister, but I'm not mean enough to let her become homeless. she, however, does have 2 jobs and is actually trying.

it's a tough situation, and I just need to do the best I can to keep on top of it. I will be taking the ACT for the first time this spring, on the pre-ACT test i took my translated score was a 31 I believe, and I'm still waiting on results from my pre-SAT. I guess I can always hope that I get scholarships.. I have always tested well, usually into the 97-99th percentile on standardized tests through the years.

2001 SS Lid, LT's, 3" Y to 4" Borla XR-1 dumped, LCA, LCA Brackets, Dbl. Adj. Panhard, Subframe Connectors, Shock Tower Brace, Eibach Prokit, Eddlebrock Shocks, C6 ZR1 Wheels 18x9.5
Bulldogwinters is offline   Reply With Quote