Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
fastvee
Banned

Drives: 2011 CTS-V, 2010 SS
What to do when friend breaks you car?

So... I have a 600+rwhp 5th gen and my buddy (this guy has been friends with me for life) has a bone stock v6 5th gen. In his drunk state one day I foolishly left my car running with door open as I went to say bye to another friend and he jumped in my 5th gen and took off down the block..... He put it in paddleshifter mode and pretty much redlined it down the block and around and back.... about a minute or two or straight red lining while burning the tires off.... My shift points are slightly elevated as I have a blower cam and in paddle shifter mode it will let you redline up to I believe its 7200rpm or so....

Results....

We are still not sure if it did any damage to the piston. We are replacing the 1 spring and hoping to god that the internals are fine. As stands it was about a $500 "joy ride" but if there's internal damage I am really debating whether I should tell him something because it would be 4-5k in damages. Remember though, this is my best lifelong friend.
fastvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Friends would not do that to you.
a friend that would take my 50k car and treat it like that especially without my permission is not my friend.

he is liable for the full amount. BILL or SUE. whatever it takes.

with friends like that who needs enemies.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Jeff_SS
"Cam Only"

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Obviously his dumb ass is gonna pay that repair bill. Is this even a question?
If I broke something on my lifetime long friends car, I'd be responsible and pay that.

BRB drunk as shit driving around the block redlining my buddies car

Get better/new friends OP.
2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS M6 | LSA Blower, 2.5" pulley, 10% lower, FIC1000's, Fore Innovations Twin Pump fuel system w/ Flex Fuel, CMS Custom Grind Cam, Kooks 1 7/8" headers w/ catless off-road pipes, NPP Exhaust, 3.91's, JLT ZL1 Intake, Prospeed Heat Exchanger | Pfadt Suspension, 1LE Sway Bars | DSS 1000hp axles |
Tuned by Ryne @ CMS E85: 734rwhp/636rwtq (mustang dyno)
Jeff_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
FaytalsCamaro
Distributor of Liquor

Drives: My Wife Crazy
No disrespect in any shape for or way to you or your friend. but from an outside opinion your friend is an idiot. To jump in a friends car and take off is one thing. but to do it drunk is a different story Make him pay for everything
FaytalsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Sounds like your friend owes you some money.

If he is that great of a friend he should not even argue the fact becuase it was completely his fault. If you had let him drive the car, you were in it, he was driving normal and something broke this might be a different story. Unfortunately for him that is not the case.

Hope the situation works out for you guys!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales @ CAI Inc View Post
Sounds like your friend owes you some money.
And needs a swift kick in the ass.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #7
fastvee
Banned

Drives: 2011 CTS-V, 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
No disrespect in any shape for or way to you or your friend. but from an outside opinion your friend is an idiot. To jump in a friends car and take off is one thing. but to do it drunk is a different story Make him pay for everything
Oh trust me I almost knocked him out. My other buddies had to hold me back. I wasn't worried about damage as much as him wrecking the car (big difference driving a 2xx rwhp v6 and a 6xx rwhp maggie v8) or running into someone..

Just praying pistons are okay!
fastvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Is your friend Tickle on Moonshiners?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #9
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark10 View Post
Is your friend Tickle on Moonshiners?
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Mick1

Drives: 2013 2SS LS3
reminds me of the line from "the transporter 2" movie: "respect a man's car, a man respects you."
Mick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
was619
Billy The Kid

Drives: Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
Agreed with the above posts. Tell him about if and make sure he knows what he did first off. Explain to him the risks and details of why that's an issue Ect. He will think twice.
That is just not a cool way to handle someone else's car. Especially when you have so much into it already.
Good luck with it all!
Aesthetics: ZL1 Spoiler, DIY LED marker lights, AACPlasma DRL, Yellow Calipers, painted factory wheels
was619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:43 AM   #12
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
Bet you don't leave it running around your drunk friends anymore. A friend of my guys did that to him with a motorcycle. Dude got on D's bike (he'd left the key in the ignition), fired it up and burned through the gears, turned around and headed back again burning through the gears. Dennis fired a warning shot over his head (.357) as he blew by going about 90. He braked immediately, turned the bike around, brought it back right away. He was white, and shaking, and apologizing all over himself.
Moral of story - young is young, drunk is drunk, and when the 2 combine, stupid is stupid.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by heRS View Post
Bet you don't leave it running around your drunk friends anymore. A friend of my guys did that to him with a motorcycle. Dude got on D's bike (he'd left the key in the ignition), fired it up and burned through the gears, turned around and headed back again burning through the gears. Dennis fired a warning shot over his head (.357) as he blew by going about 90. He braked immediately, turned the bike around, brought it back right away. He was white, and shaking, and apologizing all over himself.
Moral of story - young is young, drunk is drunk, and when the 2 combine, stupid is stupid.
and I'd have had "D" locked up for illegal discharge of a weapon..
sounds like you need new friends too. Friends don't even think about pointing a loaded .357 at each other let alone fire at him in warning or not.

Man I guess I hold a MUCH higher standard of "friends" and at my age people don't pull crap like any of this.

if they cant respect my things and me as a person they aren't my friend.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM   #14
2012InfernoSS

Drives: 93GMC sierra stepside/ ctsv3
Id make him pay and buy me a case of beer
2012InfernoSS is offline   Reply With Quote