Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Question Ceramic Coating Stainless / Underhood temps question

I ordered stainless power LT 1 7/8" headers, that do not have the option to get ceramic coating.

I have a local shop thats about an hour and a half from my house that will sand blast and coat them for $275.

I understand that stainless doesnt NEED the coating, but it will make them stay looking better and reduce engine temps, so here is my question.

Is it worth it? Im never going FI or doing anything more serious than a tune after the headers, so is there a real point to reducing the temps under the hood?

Is it a dramatic difference in heat?

The downside: It will cost me $275, plus 6 hours total of driving to drop them off and pick them up. It will also mean, I have to wait two more weeks to install, instead of doing them in a couple days when they get here. I only sort of care how they look, as they arent all that visible. But if the lowering the heat is an important factor, I will probably do it.

I have plug wire insulators to protect the wires, btw.

Thanks everyone!!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Do it. Even better if you have a selection of finishes. I got mine done in satin black because I wanted it to look sexy as well as be functional.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
Do it. Even better if you have a selection of finishes. I got mine done in satin black because I wanted it to look sexy as well as be functional.
Thanks for the input.

I usually lean one way or the other on things, but im totally 50%/50% on this. But I guess I dont really have any negatives about it, besides me not wanting to drive that much, and I want to put them on this week.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
The Blue Ox

Drives: 2010 SS L99 Inferno Orange
It might keep the temps down a little but nothing drastic! If you care about looks, then Do It!! I have coated LT's and I wouldn't have em any other way!
The Blue Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
It looks great and they cool off quickly, that is about the sum of it. Whether that is worth it is a question only you can answer.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
MightymouseSS

Drives: 2011 LS3
I got my sp lts coated. I was back and forth on it too cuz I had to wait a few extra days to get them installed. But I figured if I put them on and they start looking unappealing to me after awhile might as well do it before I install them. As for temps they still get hot as hell but I noticed compared to other cars that it cool down a little bit quicker.
SLP loudmouth 2
Nightfury Cam
Mike Norris CC
Tuned by Southwest Speed
MightymouseSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
I would put that $275 into a tune or a CAI
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Why not that AND ceramic headers? It's not that much money really.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Ox View Post
It might keep the temps down a little but nothing drastic! If you care about looks, then Do It!! I have coated LT's and I wouldn't have em any other way!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
It looks great and they cool off quickly, that is about the sum of it. Whether that is worth it is a question only you can answer.
That makes sense, may not greatly reduce the running ambient temperature, but it dissapates heat fast once the engine is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightymouseSS View Post
I got my sp lts coated. I was back and forth on it too cuz I had to wait a few extra days to get them installed. But I figured if I put them on and they start looking unappealing to me after awhile might as well do it before I install them. As for temps they still get hot as hell but I noticed compared to other cars that it cool down a little bit quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell040 View Post
Good suggestion. I already have a CAI, racing scoop, axleback, range AFM disabler, etc. And im not ready for a tune yet (keeping the warranty for a little while)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
Why not that AND ceramic headers? It's not that much money really.
Yeah, the money is not a huge deal.

Thanks for the input

Last edited by vroomapunk; 05-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
LeanPocket

Drives: 2010 2SS
for the avid racer whos always checking plugs and messing with stuff under the hood, hell yeah its worth it!

but for a daily driver I wouldnt even bother.

I had my old pacesetter headers jet hot coated first thing, and it was so much easier to change my plugs, and troubleshoot random kinks since they cooled down so quick.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #11
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Only thing I can tell you about mine is that its keeps the headers looking brand new. Underhood heat is the same as stock or maybe a little cooler. No idea what temps people are seeing without the coating. If I had it to do over again I would definitly get the coating just because of how great it looks. If this was a 4th gen, DOHC Mustang or something like that I would say its well worth it because of space but with this car thats not an issue so you probably want to base the decision on looks rather than underhood temps..
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I just installed Kooks LT with the black ceramic coating and it definitely helps with the under hood temps. I was really impressed with how fast they cool down.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
GhOsT_2SS

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
True bare stainless isn't going to rust or corrode, I just think ceramic coated just makes the install a finished completed product. Maybe some pics will help, I think I waited about 4 weeks before I had mine coated. I bought them used but had low mileage on them and the stainless had discolored, blued in placed, browned in others.

Fresh and just back from getting ceramic coated.

About 5000 miles after install and still looking good

GhOsT_2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Got mine coated at jet hot. They coat the inside and out. Most local shops only coat the outside. Also, the local shop may not be able to do the polished finish, just a satin black, gray or white. The polished finish helps reduce under hood temps by reducing the amount of radiant heat from the primary tubes. The ceramic coating insulates. It's a win/win. Great looks and helps with temp & flow. Downside $$. Jet hot is lifetime, local shops around here offer a 2 yr warranty.

Also, if plan on adding a wide band, get a bung welded into each collector before getting coated.

If you get them coated and you have a slip joint over the collector, use a flapper wheel to remove the coating. If not, it may be struggle to get on. I struggled. Or notify whoever does it not to coat "x" inches at the end of the collector.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote