Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 PM   #1
collins8

Drives: 2013 ZL1
50HP from head swap

Today I got my heads installed. First of all before the head swap the car had the following Mods:
Cold air intake
Brian Tooley stage 1 cam
ID 850s
Kooks 17/8 long tubes no cats
9.55 lower stock upper
Lingenfelter HX with fan kit
ported LS7 TB

With those mods the car made 533 FTLB and 536 RWHP. This was on a Mustang Dyno at intune motorsports in charleston TN. His Dyno has very low numbers and he will tell you that upfront. Puzzing to me but I have known him for years and many cars will go to another dyno after trying his and his numbers are always low....

I had Brian Tooley put together a stock set of LSA heads and here is what he did to them:
The intake and exhaust port are the standard TEA CNC ports. The exhaust port gets a special 50 degree exhaust valve job and then hand blended. This exhaust valve job reduces low lift flow, which helps maintain boost pressure, reduce emissions and increase fuel efficiency. However by .300" lift the 50 degree exhaust valve job can be up to 10% better compared to the standard 45 degree exhaust valve job, which helps power production.
There's much speculation about whether or not this type of valve job is durable. I tested it on my own C5 427 from 2008 until 2010 and after 2 years I could still see the fine lines in the seat from the valve job cutter. The key is keeping the seat width wide. Greg Good freshened these same basic LSA heads off of Eric Lancasters record setting ZR1, and he said the 50 degree exhaust valve job was actually in better shape than the 45 degree intake valve job. Although that car was using E85 which may explain why the intake was in worse shape compared to exhaust.

The combustion chambers are worked by hand and "softened" to improve power and reduce the chances of detonation.

These heads had stock valves and his Platinum valve spring kit with titanium retainers. The combustion chambers were 68CC. I also put Johnson lifters in.

Well today the car made 587RWHP at 6400RPM and was still climbing. I instructed Scott at Intune 6400RPM was my limit.

I was very happy gaining 51HP!! Not bad for something that costs you around $1300 plus parts.

I do have a my spare heads, I am sending back for a core, but will sale. They have a total of 2000 Miles on them and only 300 Miles on the Brian Tooley platinum springs and retainers. This would be perfect for someone wanting to go this route.

Scott at In tune could not print today due to his printer being down and is supposed to Email me the charts and the HP tuners data file. If you have any questions, give him a call.... The torque gains were just as you would expect flat across the board. Also the boost might of dropped .3psi from before... Overall this was the best value I have ever found in getting 50HP.
collins8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM   #2
14ZL1M6

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Coupe A6 & 2002 ZO6
Are your spare heads LSAs? How much do you want for them?
ATI Balancer w/9.55 (22.5%) lower pulley, FIC1000 Injectors, Stainless Works 2" headers, Stainless Works Retro Cat-Back, V-Max Ported TB, Roto-Fab w/Big Gulp, Elite 2nd Gen Catch Can, Jannetty Tuned. 581 rwhp
14ZL1M6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Ben69

Drives: 2013 VR ZL1
Greg Good in Houston?

2015 Chevy Silverado Midnight Ed. 6.2 1500 LTZ Z71
Ben69 is offline   Reply With Quote