Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
larietrope

Drives: 1970 Boss 302
2020 Camaro LT1 owners

Tell us what you really think about the car now that you've bought it. Would you do it again ?
larietrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:13 PM   #2
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
I ordered mine after owning 2 6th gen Camaros, a 2016 2SS and a ZL1. To me the LT1 is a great looking Camaro, very clean looking. It also has just about everything I want and is the lightest and simplest V8 Camaro. I am very excited to start driving a m6 again. The A10 on the ZL1 is the best auto I have ever driven, but I learned it is not for me.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:56 PM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Hey Fraxum, shouldn’t your LT1 be just about built by now? Didn’t you order it in December?
Old 02-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
I traded a 1LT V6 manual so knew basically what I was getting into with the LT1 M6. Overall, the LT1 seems a little better sorted overall, has updated tech, and the suspension is very well tuned. I sound and power are great, love the car overall and think it is a really good value.

If I could change anything, I'd like SS sized wheels/tires but still with all-seasons so I can drive it year round in the midwest without changing tires. The LT1 245s look a little narrow from the rear - but just aesthetics. Also would like to have heated seats/wheel and rear cross traffic alert available on the LT1. Throw them in a convenience package along with auto dimming rearview mirror and the car would be perfect.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
If I could change anything, I'd like SS sized wheels/tires but still with all-seasons so I can drive it year round in the midwest without changing tires. The LT1 245s look a little narrow from the rear - but just aesthetics. Also would like to have heated seats/wheel and rear cross traffic alert available on the LT1. Throw them in a convenience package along with auto dimming rearview mirror and the car would be perfect.
I get what you are saying but the LT1 was designed for a cheap V8 solution. If you start adding wider tires and upgrades it gets too close to a SS version in price

Old 02-19-2020, 01:15 AM   #6
Red Chief

Drives: 2020 LT1 Black
The LT1 situation reminds me of the "early adopter" burn people feel when they pay top dollar to be one of the first to own new technology.

This car gets you the best-handling sports car combined with the raw power of 455 horsepower and 455 torque. Both of those stats are important because the power it has is a night and day difference from the V6. You also get the statement sound of a V8, like a truck engine dropped into a car.

I think it rides smoother than the 6 probably due to the extra weight. You can feel the additional weight in the nose especially in braking. Funny how it weighs the same as my 2012 V6.

But it really scoots in everyday driving. Where I have no interest in 100mph+ speeds, this gets you quick acceleration off the line that the 6 just doesn't have.

10-speed vs. 8-speed? Honestly can't tell the difference. The difference between the Gen5 and Gen6 transmissions was dramatic enough so I didn't expect a massive improvement anyway. Apart from the mechanical issues of the 8-speed, the Gen6 was tuned exceptionally well already.

I just wish Chevy had thought of this trim level sooner because it's been overdue since 2016. The lighter weight and handling of the alpha platform put it ahead of the base V8 trims from Dodge and Ford without the additional track and handling parts that should have been optional on the Gen6 SS.

The fact that the Gen5 1LE beat the 2015 GT on the track told me from day one that the Gen6 base SS was overkill. My guess is insurance claims aren't bearing a direct correlation to engine power as much as they used to due to texting and driving accidents.
Red Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #7
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Hey Fraxum, shouldn’t your LT1 be just about built by now? Didn’t you order it in December?
January. It is built, I have a VIN! But waiting for shipping can take weeks.
Old 02-19-2020, 07:10 AM   #8
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
I traded a 1LT V6 manual so knew basically what I was getting into with the LT1 M6. Overall, the LT1 seems a little better sorted overall, has updated tech, and the suspension is very well tuned. I sound and power are great, love the car overall and think it is a really good value.

Stock SS wheels/tires are a dime a dozen if you want them. As for me I dig the MRR 1LE wheels which are well priced. Add a good set of tires and there is my summer set up. And then put on the DRs for T&T nights. But they are a PIA to put on. The LT1 stockers is the winter setup.

I am coming from the other direction as my last 2 Camaros were a M6 2SS and an A10 ZL1. I like that the LT1 is the lightest V8 Camaro. Weight is the enemy! Also I got the Recaros which have the heating and ventilation but no wiring. Gen5DIY has the ventilation working. The heaters hopefully will come later.

Here is what my LT1 will look like below with MRR 1LE wheels and some vinyl. I love the clean look of the LT1. It really shows off the great lines of the Camaro. And I think it is cool that it is the only Camaro named after the engine under the hood. Confusing but cool.

Last edited by Fraxum; 02-19-2020 at 08:03 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 07:13 AM   #9
Fraxum

LT1 Owners, pics or it didn't happen!
Old 02-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I like the look Fraxum!!��
Old 02-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #11
ryan01

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I had owned a fourth gen Trans Am in the past and was just looking for a fun car. That trans am got to be not exactly a street car and my wife didn't like riding in it by the time it was done. So fast forward a few year and I was Camaro shopping. The dealer where I bought mine had a good selection. They had two SSs and a ZL1 and the LT1. I liked the ZL1 the best obviously, but it didn't make sense to buy for me. I liked ht LT1 because it felt like a more fun driver's car. I loved the color and that it was a M6. I like the clean/simple look. It feels like a canvas I can work with to make exactly what I want. I liked the all season wheels because they are perfect for winter if I want to drive it now. Plus, I'm guessing the LT1 will be less common which I also like. The only thing I would change is that I wish it had the bose system with the 8" display. Other than that I love the car. And I have a 6 year old girl that's a total gear head and in 10 years this will be a great first car for her.
ryan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 10:20 AM   #12
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
I like the look Fraxum!!��
Thanks! I keep building this Camaro in my mind. I have become a cautious modder after messing up a few Camaros. :(

The Stinger hood vinyl is still a maybe......
Old 02-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #13
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan01 View Post
I had owned a fourth gen Trans Am in the past and was just looking for a fun car. That trans am got to be not exactly a street car and my wife didn't like riding in it by the time it was done. So fast forward a few year and I was Camaro shopping. The dealer where I bought mine had a good selection. They had two SSs and a ZL1 and the LT1. I liked the ZL1 the best obviously, but it didn't make sense to buy for me. I liked ht LT1 because it felt like a more fun driver's car. I loved the color and that it was a M6. I like the clean/simple look. It feels like a canvas I can work with to make exactly what I want. I liked the all season wheels because they are perfect for winter if I want to drive it now. Plus, I'm guessing the LT1 will be less common which I also like. The only thing I would change is that I wish it had the bose system with the 8" display. Other than that I love the car. And I have a 6 year old girl that's a total gear head and in 10 years this will be a great first car for her.
We agree, the LT1 is a fun Camaro option and the least expensive V8. You can get the Bose but it is expensive. So it will be hard to find on a lot. I did pick the Bose on my LT1 along with Recaros. I fell in car love with these seats in my ZL1. Car and Driver agrees the ZL1 has the best seats among the ZL1, Hellcat, and the new GT500.

Get your girl to help maintain and Mod your LT1. Fun! When I let my oldest daughter drive my ZL1 A10 she got it a little sideways. She is still giggling. Your LT1 is a safer choice.

Pics?
Old 02-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #14
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Nice, Good looking ride