Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 AM   #183
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Well right now i get where I'm going by taking my foot off the clutch SLOWLY... VERY VERY SLOWLY. It sucks stop sign to stop sign, and im not really rev matching at all, just being very gentle.

Am I causing too much clutch-wear?
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 01:57 AM   #184
matt d.

Drives: 1998 Z28
Go with the stick.
matt d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #185
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post
Well right now i get where I'm going by taking my foot off the clutch SLOWLY... VERY VERY SLOWLY. It sucks stop sign to stop sign, and im not really rev matching at all, just being very gentle.

You're not wearing out your clutch that much doing that. In fact, you have to do it to go in reverse short distances. When in stop and go traffic though, if you can shift to first with the lightest possible forward acceleration, then that is recommended over lifting your foot off the clutch slowly.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #186
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
From what you all tell me I am leaning towards stick.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:34 PM   #187
JonJuice

Drives: n/a
Is it possible to launch the camaro on auto ?
JonJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #188
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
From what you all tell me I am leaning towards stick.
During your typical daily driving route, try to imagine having to work a clutch and shifting gears during that drive. This includes stop and go traffic, red lights, stop signs, etc.. If you don't mind shifting gears through it all, then go M. For me, i'm too old to mess around with shifting gears all the time. Been there, done that and it gets old. It all depends on what YOU want to do. Typically, the younger you are, the more willing you are to go manual.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #189
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Had I ordered mine I would have gotten the stick but being I have to navigate the so cal freeway trafic. I'm very happy with the auto. And the paddles Really
are fun. Still plenty fast
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:18 PM   #190
1meanss

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
Had I ordered mine I would have gotten the stick but being I have to navigate the so cal freeway trafic. I'm very happy with the auto. And the paddles Really
are fun. Still plenty fast
Yes, the paddle shifting is a lot of fun. Probably even more so when my blower gets installed!
1meanss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #191
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
blowers rule.
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #192
WeeZee

Drives: SuperSport's
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
We had a 2001 z28 a4, with the 2.73 rear end. I hated the gearing in that car. If you wanted to go fast, it was either first or second gear all the way past 100 mph. Many times you were at the bottom of second and had to climb all the way up. The car had the power band where it was ok, but what a compromise for an otherwise very powerful car. That was my only dislike of the car. I am sure the 3.23 auto car has a much more enjoyable spacing, but that is not what we had. My point is that this new setup will not have the same compromise, as it will have plenty of gears to pick from and still have that ultra-low highway gear. Don't think anyone will be disappointed with the auto on this car.

I am still getting a stick when I get my 2010 SS though, because I love the control.
U would have loved your A4 Z-28 with 3.73 gears and a shift kit, but i have always had a stick except my 2007 ImpalaSS "daily driver" it's fun and i would hate the car in a stick
WeeZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:23 AM   #193
djsnoflake
Faith Keeper

Drives: 2012 Silverado LTZ, 2010 2SS/RS
I woulda got an auto, but I have never liked the AFM, so when I found out it came with an auto, I got the stick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
.........we are far from finished.................
djsnoflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #194
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
During your typical daily driving route, try to imagine having to work a clutch and shifting gears during that drive. This includes stop and go traffic, red lights, stop signs, etc.. If you don't mind shifting gears through it all, then go M. For me, i'm too old to mess around with shifting gears all the time. Been there, done that and it gets old. It all depends on what YOU want to do. Typically, the younger you are, the more willing you are to go manual.
My 2c - I'm awaiting my 2010, currently have an LS1 camaro with a B&M short-throw. Lower gearchanges are done with finger/wrist movement, in and out of 1st (stop n go) are finger and thumb movements, thumb into first, hand close to take it out.

Your experience when learning to drive a stick for the first time are different to when you are used to it. I find that in stop n go, it's a weird combination of automatic (you automatically go through the motions out of habit), yet still kind of gratifying in the whole ballet of stick/clutch operation. That is, I find stop and go with a stick in some ways enjoyable, not just tolerated.

Maybe having fingertip stick moves and a strengthened left leg help here
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 AM   #195
Standard

Drives: 2023 Sharkskin ZL1 M6
Quote:

As you gain experience you'll want to do better than that.

Ultimately, you'll learn it by feel - clutch work from a stop involves timing the release with feedback you get from how the car just slightly lurches, along with the gas pedal.

You're not wearing the clutch anywhere near what you would doing hard launches (but soft launches are more common); but your goal is to get off the clutch as quickly as comfortably possible, you're not meant to ride it.

Over time, learn to feel for the "friction point" - when you start releasing your pedal, for part of the travel it does nothing - so learn to swing through that faster. Then, higher up, you feel it sort of grab, the car will kind of move. With clever subtle release through that stage + just the right gas pedal work you'll control the actual start of motion. When the car is going fast enough to acommodate a good RPM (and you will learn this with experience) just drop the clutch (take foot off fast), as you're done.

Your goal is to use the clutch to get yourself to a speed where your engine can spin fast enough to push the car - in a short period of time - no rush in learning; but your ultimate goal is to get your foot OFF the clutch quickly rather than slowly. It's not terminal; but staying on it is a higher-wear activity.

Taking off on a hill alters the equation, you need more clutch slip + bite + gas to get moving. Look at it as fun; but there is another variable. Use the handbrake - it's another thing to have to juggle; but consider it part of the fun when you have mastered it.

In working with these variables, you will get to play with the subtle nuances of how you put your car into motion. Some look at it as a pain; but it's part of the richness of the direct mechanical link between you, the engine, and the driveshaft - I look at it as part of the fun of driving a stick that goes beyond *just* picking gears (which you can do with a paddle shifted A6 if that's all you want).

Enjoy!
Standard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #196
paulyd04

Drives: 12 Silverado XCAB Z71 APP PKG
i've driven multiple auto and manual ss camaros and there is no comparison

get the manual- more fun to drive, much better engine, faster, and EXTREMELY BETTER RESALE VALUE- the auto ss are sitting around dealerships while the manuals are still flying off the shelf
paulyd04 is offline   Reply With Quote