Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #71
xjer22x

Drives: 2010 rs/ss black # 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
I was going to make a comment that the STI might feel faster then it really is, however I have no personal experience with them at all.
yup, you have the right idea. A lot lighter car, very stiff suspension, very little sound dampening material. All really contributes to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
Yea...that wing makes you feel like you're doing 100 all the time.
First thing I did with my STi was take that horrible thing off.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.
xjer22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #72
Risen

Drives: Yellow 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
The newer STi's are known for blowing up the 2.5 motors. I think the older one's not so much.
True, but not when the motor is stock or lightly modded (stage 2). They are more likely to have issues than the older ones with extremely high boost, like 20+ psi.
Risen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #73
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoZL1 View Post
ZL1. Best American car built in 60 years. Period. Since when does a Subaru even compare to a ZL1? Any Camaro for that matter? Uh, let's see, how many ZL1 owners even thought of buying any Subaru? ZIP. Why it's here is the exact reason this site has lost so much credibility. Most people I ask anymore say they don't bother. Example why? Hmmm
Are you 16 years old? Maybe another possible explanation behind the "lack of credibility" is the sheep hearding that's taken place with people like yourself.

Yes the ZL1 is a nice car, does an exceptional job handling it's weight and mass around a road course, and is evidently easier to drive than a car that has never staked any claim to being easy to drive, but heaven forbid anyone attempt to compare it to something as lowly as a prototype Subaru.

It's apparent you find it insulting that anyone would mention the two together. Guess what, after your done stroking your ego, you're welcome to return to the automtive enthusiasts reality where any car, given the chance, can be appreciated.

Best car in the last 60 years, period.... Give me a break.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #74
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Are you 16 years old? Maybe another possible explanation behind the "lack of credibility" is the sheep hearding that's taken place with people like yourself.

Yes the ZL1 is a nice car, does an exceptional job handling it's weight and mass around a road course, and is evidently easier to drive than a car that has never staked any claim to being easy to drive, but heaven forbid anyone attempt to compare it to something as lowly as a prototype Subaru.

It's apparent you find it insulting that anyone would mention the two together. Guess what, after your done stroking your ego, you're welcome to return to the automtive enthusiasts reality where any car, given the chance, can be appreciated.

gotta agree...
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:16 PM   #75
ZOOMSS

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
So anyone else notice the Subaru nailing a squirrel or something at the 6:45 lap time mark?
ZOOMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #76
Sapper12b
HTCC Member

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
good impressive video. Looks like the ZL1 cruised that course.
Sapper12b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #77
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:

I hate agreeing with Mustang drivers.

I wouldn't be quite as harsh, but I would point out that there have been some great cars in that timeframe. Debating the best of them would require a quantification and qualification of styling, handling, reliability, performance, sound, materials, and manufacturing, and that would be a long debate.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #78
2012 Mustang GT

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
Man people get so pissed so easily...its fun to watch these comparisons. Atleast we all have something better than a 4 Cylinder Camry that we can choose to drive and enjoy. Yes the Camaro looked like it was just cruising along while Makinen(sp) was getting an aerobic workout.
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:12 AM   #79
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Quote:

I wonder if the stock Shelby GT500 can make it all the way around the Nurburgring before getting brake fade.

I'm dying to see what the stock Shelby GT500 can accomplish there...aren't you? When is some proud owner going to post a video? Or Ford. Or...anyone?

You know the problem with only having comparison videos with a Subaru? It's because we can't get our closest rival to even show up at the track. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having some comparison videos with other cars like the ZR1 and other cars better & worse.

Mostly, I want to see what the Shelby can do there. Ford...make it happen!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #80
swizz

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS Black
Nice video. Just happy seeing the Camaro get respect across the auto industry. It would have been nicer to see SS/1LE against this car but on another note...

I think they need to do something for the V6 guys... is the 1LE package available for them at all? Just a thought.
swizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #81
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risen View Post
Good video comparison. Amazing how close the sti stays until the longer straights where the ZL1 pulls away... like it should.

The STI is $15,000 cheaper than a ZL1 and obviously outgunned. And the motor in the STI won't blow up any time soon. Subaru's are extremely well engineered cars and their boxers are bullett proof. They have a very strong racing pedigree and it shows.

Yes, most people would take a ZL1 over an STI, it's $15,000 more car. But the guys driving STIs are in the Camaro SS price range. The STI is a much better all around performer than an SS without the 1LE package.

Been a Camaro guy my whole life but I can't help but respect the Subarus. They are mean little buggars.

I personally had an STI prior to getting my SS and I truely miss the handling and the all wheel drive experience. I had about 10k in upgrades so going from the STI to the SS was a bit of a downgrade in regards to overall performance but the Camaro is an amazing car. I am sure if I could afford to spend 10k on the SS, it would be a sick car.
Camero5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #82
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
Awesome vid!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #83
lopoetve

Drives: 2001 Firebird Formula, 2011 Triumph
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie scar View Post
I went to the Subaru Canada web site to build one of these cars for the sake of interest.

By the looks of it they don’t come cheap. I figure the price tag after taxes is around $51000.00. There are a lot nicer cars out there for that price; also I don’t think Subaru has a warranty for track use if something breaks on the car.

Here is a copy of some of the engine specs.

Engine: 2.5L Dual Overhead Cam (DOHC), 16-valve, horizontally opposed, 4-cylinder SUBARU BOXER high-performance engine with high-pressure turbocharger and high-capacity intercooler, Electronic Throttle Control and Dual Active Valve Control System
Power: 305 hp @ 6000 rpm
Torque: 290 lb-ft @ 4000 rpm

The curb weight for this car was about 2800 lbs

It would be interesting to see how long this engine lasts before it blows up.
The STI motors run for a long time - that's a stout block.
lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #84
72MachOne99GT
Anthrax Popcorn User

Drives: 2013 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I wonder if the stock Shelby GT500 can make it all the way around the Nurburgring before getting brake fade.

I'm dying to see what the stock Shelby GT500 can accomplish there...aren't you? When is some proud owner going to post a video? Or Ford. Or...anyone?

You know the problem with only having comparison videos with a Subaru? It's because we can't get our closest rival to even show up at the track. Frankly, I wouldn't mind having some comparison videos with other cars like the ZR1 and other cars better & worse.

Mostly, I want to see what the Shelby can do there. Ford...make it happen!
I'm not personally invested in what it would run there as I opted for a car without any additional goodies other than the Recaro option.

Having said that, it would be interesting to see a PP/TP equipped '13 run a few laps with a competent driver and favorable weather conditions. I'm not familiar enough with the circuit to know what it favors/weaknesses it points out in the overall performance of a car, but I seriously doubt it would have any issue completing a wide open lap on the stock brakes/fluid.

I'm sure we're all aware of the difference between brake fade and brake failure. I personally think the Gt500 would be exceptionally close (if not eel out a victory) in the timed lap...

Of course that's nothing but my opinion, which carries as much weight as poo soaked toilet paper, especially in a forum with an ever so slight focus on the Camaro over the Mustang

Until then though I'll enjoy a healthy dose of competition and trash talking, and continue to laugh at the blind fanboism on both sides of the fence.
Quote:
...if you want to compare performance numbers, well, the GT500 retains it's title of the highest hp, worst performing car in the world.
72MachOne99GT is offline   Reply With Quote