Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
El Chorizo

Drives: 2006 Lamborghini Gallardo
Anyone have problems with the lug nuts CCW uses?

I've got two sets of CCW wheels. A slicks and skinnies package (which are totally awesome by the way, the car sits perfect and the wheel gap is just right) and my street wheels.

However, I have noticed that the lug nuts that came with both sets of wheels leave MUCH room for improvement.

Example, most recently at the track when we removed them from the street wheels and tires we had to use an impact to get them off. And I'm not just talking about breaking them loose... the entire time the lug is still on the stud its painful to remove. It takes a ton of pressure the entire time.

Traditionally lugs once you break them loose get easier and easier to remove as they start to come off... these seem to get so gunked up on the inside that until the damn thing is all the way off its a chore. We ended up running the batteries out in the impact wrench and had to do it with a cross when we unbolted the slicks and skinnies and the process took about 2 hours.

Another side effect of this is that the threads get messed up on them easily, it's as if the thread material on the inside is much too soft.

This is not due to overtorquing... we use a Snap-On bad ass torque wrench and put them on at 110ft/lbs despite the recommended ft/lbs being 140.

The lugs are never tightened with anything except the torque wrench to those specs.

Anyone else experience this? Do you have any other lug nut recommendations.... this last experience at the track was horrible and I don't want to be put in that position again. Had to drive back with only 4 lugs on one of my wheels.
Attached Images

2010 Camaro 2SS, 700RWHP, 667RWTQ @ 9psi - 11.03@124 @ 3600 ft. elevation TVS2300, Ported Stock Heads, Ported TB, Comp Cam, RPS Twin Disk, Kooks 2" LT's, Kooks 3" Catback, Dual ZR1 Fuel Pumps, H&R Springs, Barton STS, Hendrix Axles, BMR Trailing Arms, Snow Methanol Kit, Rotofab CAI.

2006 Lamborghini Gallardo, 2006 Cherokee SRT8.
2014 Mercedes CLA (On Order) / CLA Forum
El Chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
I was fitting a lot of rims on my brothers camaro and noticed the studs were getting really "tired" ...

apart from the lugnuts being improoved you should consider getting better studs..
Old 07-12-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
El Chorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC View Post
I was fitting a lot of rims on my brothers camaro and noticed the studs were getting really "tired" ...

apart from the lugnuts being improoved you should consider getting better studs..
The studs seem fine, they are really stout as far as I can tell. I have a few sets of CCW's so I have a few sets of their lugs... using a new lug fixes the problem.... for a while, until it gets gunked up too. But the stud is fine.
2010 Camaro 2SS, 700RWHP, 667RWTQ @ 9psi - 11.03@124 @ 3600 ft. elevation TVS2300, Ported Stock Heads, Ported TB, Comp Cam, RPS Twin Disk, Kooks 2" LT's, Kooks 3" Catback, Dual ZR1 Fuel Pumps, H&R Springs, Barton STS, Hendrix Axles, BMR Trailing Arms, Snow Methanol Kit, Rotofab CAI.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #4
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Sounds like you got a set with the pitch diameter off or the minor diameter off. I would try to get ccw to send you a replacement set and go from there.

Also, keep some antisieze on your studs at all times. It'll keep your threads from galling.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
El Chorizo

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
Sounds like you got a set with the pitch diameter off or the minor diameter off. I would try to get ccw to send you a replacement set and go from there.

Also, keep some antisieze on your studs at all times. It'll keep your threads from galling.
We use antiseize so that's not an issue, and I don't think the diameter is off...just think its low quality lug nut material.