Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
Central Illinois Auto Show Impressions

WOW!

I was able to get into the show early to spend quite a bit of time with the car without having to tick people off and feel like I'm "hogging". The car there was a Jewel Coat Red 2SS and a black 2LT. Both autos. The JCR had tan guts. BEAUTIFUL!!!! This combo looks amazing. The tan is a good color, I prefer it to be a little more khaki, but that is a preference. The first time I saw the car was in Chicago (V Red with grey stripes). I was not able to spend as much time and felt rushed. I posted some thoughts on the car then. After spending more time with the car, and taking more time to look at more details here are my thoughts.

First....I was glad to see no sunroof on this car. I confirmed my thoughts that there will be more headroom. Not a ton more but enough for me. Plus the reverse mohawk is cool.

I love the high polish wheels. (Scott did say the final color of the Midnight silver is darker than I have seen in person.)

I was able to open the truck. Small opening, but we have seen it will hold lots-o-stuff. 2 golf bags No problem. Plus the opening means the car is more solid. It closed with the precision and chunk of a fine German sedan. I closed it several times to hear it. Awesome.

This car had the cloth tan door inserts. (Scott, at least make them an option) I think there are a great addition. I would prefer the cloth because it breaks up the dash with some texture. Even in the black interior, I think the cloth looks great. The fit and finish, were.....outstanding to say the least. They were off the charts for GM and great for any car. Grand slam home run! The leather felt great. All the switch gear felt good. I changed a lot of the controls around and the temp controls and radio controls felt well engineered. They had a buttery smooth motion with the proper detent feel.

I will address something people have voiced their opinion on...visibility. First you are buying a sports car. If your priority for a car is good visibility then look at the Malibu, or Traverse, you will be ecstatic. When I first saw the car in Chicago, I thought the visibility was poor and the car would feel overwhelming. Now, I think it will be OK. I had the seat all the way down and wanted it to go lower. (I'm 6'5"). Originally I thought it would feel like sitting in a bucket trying to pear out over the top of the dash (this is the feeling in the Challenger). I do think the belt line is a tad high, but after spending more time in the car I feel it is acceptable. I think visibility is OK. Let's face it the is one huge C pillar. But learn to use mirrors, and be aware of your surroundings, you won't have a problem.

The steering wheels controls....Bravo! take a bow GM, you got it! GM is getting all the little detail stuff down now. Express up and down windows, beautiful. Steering wheel felt really good and thick in my hand. It felt like a BMW, just maybe not the same level of materials, however it is in the ball park, and for $10-20K less. Not all cars can come with Gucci leather luggage.

I feel I am very critical of cars especially interiors. I am liking the interior more and more on this car. (can-o-worms smiley) Hendricks car was not what you are getting. It is not what HE is getting. This car is the real deal, you will not be disappointed. I am starting the see what HeatheR and Number 3 are talking about.

The whole "keep the faith" thing... I must admit I have waited to see what actually happens when I hear that phrase. It has always turned out well. I have been cautious to jump on a band wagon like that. These people have proven themselves to me to not just tow the company line. I have seen the proof of what they say. I told Scott and a few other GM people at the show, be aggressive on the competition. They do NOT have anything to be shy about. Quit apologizing, you have corrected the problems. Look at Malibu, CTS, Camaro, Silverado, Acadia, G8, Solstice.... I could go on. It is a shame Wagoner got let go. GM needs car guys and it seems he was one. GM, don't be afraid to do a side by side comparison in the hands of consumers, you have a better product.

While I was looking under the back of the car, I saw a couple of Ford guys come up and look at the car....I said, "Guys you should get used to looking back here, because this is the view you'll have most of the time!" They had a comment back, all I heard was the LS3 revving.
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro

Somebody had to do it.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #3
ponycrusher21
Christopher Fernandez

Drives: Toyota Prius
^
ponycrusher21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
While I was looking under the back of the car, I saw a couple of Ford guys come up and look at the car....I said, "Guys you should get used to looking back here, because this is the view you'll have most of the time!"
Stuff like that makes me not want the car; I don't want to be lumped in with a group of people who care so about the damn Mustang and racing it all the time.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
Stuff like that makes me not want the car; I don't want to be lumped in with a group of people who care so about the damn Mustang and racing it all the time.
some feel the same way about neons, integras, civics, preludes, and other cars
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
SSinferno

Drives: 1999 WS6 - 2015 WRX
Here are a few pics I took today. Sorry for the blurry pics. I was suprised they left the battery connected. I turned the lights and everything on. Even met Scott today!
Attached Images

SSinferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
Touchy are we.

Great write up OP, thanks!

"The future is in the windshield, not the rear-view mirror!"

"If you haven't gone a 175 mph on land, you haven't lived! That's just a fact!" - Ricky Bobby
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:21 PM   #8
davidj

Drives: .
Quote:
If thats the way you feel, you should'nt get it.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
^It's something to definitely consider.
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Shifty 6

Quote:
Wow, It was a joke. They took it like a joke and what they said to me ("we have camaro in our wheel wells") was taken like a joke. It was funny because of the rivalry between ford and chevy.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I am more and more glad I chose Red Jewel Tint with Beige leather interior. Can't wait to see it.
Dakota Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Shifty 6

You are going to love this color combo. This car will look more luxurious than most camaros. Congrats!
Old 04-05-2009, 08:23 PM   #13
Camaro509

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty 6 View Post
Plus the reverse mohawk is cool.
What? I'm missing something here.

Fold for team 11108 to help find a cure!
Folding@home Stanford's Research DC Program.
Camaro509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:21 AM   #14
Shifty 6

This car had no sunroof. It's the valley on the roof of the car. That's what it is called.