Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #99
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
Thanks for the help on the phone

Can't wait to install and post pics!
No problem. Thank you for your business.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #100
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
So... I got all my parts in

I'm just confused about the vinyl tubing. I read what I have to do like 5 times and it's just not clicking. Could you explain the use/ what I have to do with it a little more in depth?
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:29 AM   #101
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:

I'm just confused about the vinyl tubing. I read what I have to do like 5 times and it's just not clicking. Could you explain the use/ what I have to do with it a little more in depth?
In order to attach the light tube on the far passenger side, you need to take the LED lamp out of the GM holder. Once I did that I sealed the metal contacts and resistor up with liquid tape.

You then take a small piece of vinyl tubing to attach the GM LED to the light tube.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=219
Old 04-05-2011, 01:07 PM   #102
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

hello bro, see above post and also this one, look at the 2nd pic, after you take off the housing, all you have is the led (with wire and resistor) slide a small piece of clear tubing (1/4 tubing) only about 1/3 inch long, over the led and slide the rod into the tubing also, so they are held together
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...63&postcount=9

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #103
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
thanks guys for the help, i did that part now =)

btw, why do we tape the vinyl tube on the LED? my 1/4 vinyl tubing seems pretty stuck on the LED, without tape??
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:47 PM   #104
ThePagelJrs

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS black/inferno
First 2 mods done!

Thank you Gene for putting together such a good DIY and Ofer for shipping so quickly. With the ABL lighting and audio upgrade, my first 2 mods are done!
ThePagelJrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #105
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705

Ok guys...

I got tired of having the light emitting more/less in certain areas and tried the rubber spacer method. No go. I had tiny shadows and the light tube wouldn't always get where I wanted it. Finally got tired of it and got some weather stripping. Hey, at $3.00 for a pack, it's worth the try, right?

Well?

IT WORKED.

Correct. The weather stripping method worked. It forces the insert to lay even all the way across teh dash, just like the insert is a single long piece. The attachments push and pull on certain parts, but the stripping actually creates a more even look.

For ANY of you doing this mod, you really have to give this method a go. I think Lupe hit the nail on the head. If you want even light with no sanding, you must buy weather stripping.

Forgot to say what size...I'll go look and post in a few.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #106
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Ok guys...

I got tired of having the light emitting more/less in certain areas and tried the rubber spacer method. No go. I had tiny shadows and the light tube wouldn't always get where I wanted it. Finally got tired of it and got some weather stripping. Hey, at $3.00 for a pack, it's worth the try, right?

Well?

IT WORKED.

Correct. The weather stripping method worked. It forces the insert to lay even all the way across teh dash, just like the insert is a single long piece. The attachments push and pull on certain parts, but the stripping actually creates a more even look.

For ANY of you doing this mod, you really have to give this method a go. I think Lupe hit the nail on the head. If you want even light with no sanding, you must buy weather stripping.

Thanks Tag and Lupe!

I've been waiting to do mine until this got sorted.

Appreciate everyone's hard work on this!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #107
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Quote:

Ok guys...

Well?

IT WORKED.

" SIZE does MATTER " now go check real quick and let us know !!!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #108
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
thanks guys for the help, i did that part now =)

btw, why do we tape the vinyl tube on the LED? my 1/4 vinyl tubing seems pretty stuck on the LED, without tape??
Looks like they answered your previous question before I got back. But, yes, I did tape the tube to the LED. For me, this was also necessary to control the lighting coming out of the LED where it meets the tube.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #109
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePagelJrs View Post
Thank you Gene for putting together such a good DIY and Ofer for shipping so quickly. With the ABL lighting and audio upgrade, my first 2 mods are done!
No problem. I'm glad to hear you're taken care of!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #110
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:

I'm curious as to how this weatherstripping forces the insert to lay a certain way. I thought it was for having the tube lay on top?
Old 04-09-2011, 06:17 PM   #111
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
I've got another trick for shimming the trim piece to get the proper gap.
I used clear hockey tape.
I layed layer after layer onto itself kind of like a deck of cards and cut it to the size I needed. About 20 layers was perfect. With the tape I could keep adding layers, or take some away to get the gap thickness right. It cuts easily with a razor blade. The pieces were about 3/4" square.
If a shadow showed up I just trimmed the tape pile smaller.
It worked really good.
I didn't think of taking any pictures, and don't want to tear it apart again, as it looks good and is all back together.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #112
overhaulengines

Drives: Red 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
I'm curious as to how this weatherstripping forces the insert to lay a certain way. I thought it was for having the tube lay on top?
hello gene, for me, i did use the weather stripping to actually hold the tube from falling or sagging, it turn, it holds the tube where you want it and the tube creates the correct gap (space).

lupe
overhaulengines is offline   Reply With Quote