Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Tfire136

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Problems Getting MBS Headers to Fit Properly

Whats up everyone,

I have a 2010 SS L99 that I am in the process of upgrading. I recently purchased some MBS long tubes and installed them. Ted hooked me up with a tune and I thought things were good to go. I "dinged" them as many on here have done to help them fit properly. I have taken them off 4 times and re-dinged them in an attempt to prevent the steering shaft from rubbing. I noticed that there is still a slight rub especially while making a right turn. I do not want to over dent them. I am sure many would say to scrap them and go with one of the higher end brads, but I hate throwing money away. If I can make them work I will. Just wondering if anyone has some advice or has had similar issues. I appreciate your help.
Tfire136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfire136 View Post
Whats up everyone,

I have a 2010 SS L99 that I am in the process of upgrading. I recently purchased some MBS long tubes and installed them. Ted hooked me up with a tune and I thought things were good to go. I "dinged" them as many on here have done to help them fit properly. I have taken them off 4 times and re-dinged them in an attempt to prevent the steering shaft from rubbing. I noticed that there is still a slight rub especially while making a right turn. I do not want to over dent them. I am sure many would say to scrap them and go with one of the higher end brads, but I hate throwing money away. If I can make them work I will. Just wondering if anyone has some advice or has had similar issues. I appreciate your help.
Maybe post up a picture of where they are not fitting correctly and some of us can try and help ya out.

Ivan @ Southwest Speed
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Drives: 12' IOM, 2SS, LS3
I just dimpled mine until I had good clearance. The other side fit perfect. I bent my steering shaft a little by accident but it has not presented a problem at all.

Once installed, they look and sound awesome!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
yessitsfast

Drives: 2010 camaro
people say dimple, i just bought these last week and i put a nice dent in mine with the male part of the jackstand. the dent wasnt really deep just about 1-1.5 inch wide from top to bottom

Last edited by yessitsfast; 03-28-2012 at 01:52 AM. Reason: typo
yessitsfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
yessitsfast

i say dont be scared to bang em really good. i only banged one of the pipes but i wacked it about 30 times.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
I would be a bit nervous BANGING on these, you would be much better to use a vice or something controled to put a smooth bend or dent. If you could support the back radius of the specific tube and then use something similiar shape of the steering column to make the dent in the other side.

Sharp bangs can not be the best for welds if there are any weak points which we would hope there would not be but this IS the rear world.

Plus, it would look much nicer in the end.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
I can't help you much but will tell you to be CAREFUL not to "ding" them too much as you will restrict the exhaust flow on the cylinder which "could" cause that cylinder to run hotter than the others. For the record, I have an L99 with Kooks LTH and they fit GREAT with no mods needed.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
RANGERGOD
IDBZ M.C.

Drives: 12' IOM, 2SS, LS3
Hit it about ten time with a hammer. Placed a towel on the header and hit it a few times and check it.

A few whacks with a hammer=save $600 on Long Tube Headers.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Aries240SS

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Camaro, 1995 LSX 240SX
Just put a set on a friend's car last week. We had to heat up the tube, and then used a1 1/4" socket and a hammer to "dimple" the tube about 1/4" to clear the steering shaft.

I understand the desire to save money by going with these, but the need to bang them up just kills it. Add to that the fact that making a mistake and over-compressing the tube and you have a big problem if you put boost or nitrous through that motor in the future. Fortunately for my friend, he's staying NA, but it is something to think about.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
My dynatech Supermaxx headers bolted onto the L99 with no issues at all....

Personally, paying an extra $600 for a set of headers that actually fit the car properly would be well worth the investment. I mean, are these made for the Gen V or not? If there are differences between the LS3 and L99, that should be listed in the product information.

Thats beside the point, hopefully you get them on with plenty of clearance between the steering column.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #11
Tfire136

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Thank for the input guys. I will take a picture when I get home. I may try heating the tube up and giving it one more try.
Tfire136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
yessitsfast

im just sayin these are $300. i banged mine real good and my little dent is not really deep or sharp more of a gradual flattening (if that makes sense)and mine are fine you cant tell from under the hood or below. you would have to take my header out to see it
Old 03-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #13
urr2slo

Drives: 2010 2ss ss/rs abm, 2016 2ss/rs hbm
A good set of headers would not only have fit without any problems but also would make more power. By "dimpling" the tube you are restricting your flow therefore losing power. For as much work as it is to install headers, and with all the info available on the forums why would you skimp on a set headers.
Not to bag on the op but with all the info out there, why do people continue to support these poor quality parts? Besides the obvious performance loss, think of the safety issue, these cars have soft mounts allowing the engine to move, steering shaft bind against the header can occur as the engine torques over, think of your safety and that of others.