Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

View Poll Results: if you definitely want a cylinder please chose V6 or SS. need to figure out how many
I own a V6 20 20.83%
I own a V6 but will wait for a core exchange 7 7.29%
I own a SS 50 52.08%
I own a SS but will wait for a core exchange 21 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM   #925
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Drives: 2015 ZL1 6 speed
Send a message via AIM to IDEALG
Quote:
Originally Posted by was619 View Post
So how could you describe this sound? My car has been making a few new sounds recently just not sure what they are from
thanks in advance
Kind of like a whistling sound, it's similar to a belt squeal but not exactly the same.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #926
was619
Billy The Kid

Drives: Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEALG View Post
Kind of like a whistling sound, it's similar to a belt squeal but not exactly the same.
Awesome... did you notice that it happened after you made any certain change or type of driving that caused it to wear quicker? Like new clutch/ testing your prototype cylinders/ drag racing.... ect or is it just an improvement you want to make?
Aesthetics: ZL1 Spoiler, DIY LED marker lights, AACPlasma DRL, Yellow Calipers, painted factory wheels
was619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #927
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Awesome... did you notice that it happened after you made any certain change or type of driving that caused it to wear quicker? Like new clutch/ testing your prototype cylinders/ drag racing.... ect or is it just an improvement you want to make?
No , The stock throw out bearings are garbage. i knew it was only a matter of time before it went bad. The new bearing is a whole new steel ball bearing unit. just waiting for it to arrive.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 PM   #928
was619
Billy The Kid

Quote:
I used royal purple synchromax in my car.
Have you noticed much of a difference to switching to this fluid? also do you have any good suggestions on how to get the fluid into the trans since the fill spot it located kinda high up on the unit?
thanks again man

Edit: also very cool I'd love to read your review on the new throwout once you get it installed and get some launching and higher rpm up and down shifts with it in
Aesthetics: ZL1 Spoiler, DIY LED marker lights, AACPlasma DRL, Yellow Calipers, painted factory wheels
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #929
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Have you noticed much of a difference to switching to this fluid? also do you have any good suggestions on how to get the fluid into the trans since the fill spot it located kinda high up on the unit?
thanks again man
For me i feel it improved the overall feel of the shift.
There's no trick to getting the fluid in there unless you have some sort of hand or pressure pump. we just use a hose attached to the bottle and squeeze the fluid up there. it can be messy sometimes.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #930
was619
Billy The Kid

Quote:
For me i feel it improved the overall feel of the shift.
There's no trick to getting the fluid in there unless you have some sort of hand or pressure pump. we just use a hose attached to the bottle and squeeze the fluid up there. it can be messy sometimes.
Great! I will be doing this along with an oil change rather soon!
Old 02-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #931
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Modified cylinder for Challenger

IdealG

Now makes Modified CLutch Master Cylinders for Dodge Challengers 2010- up spread the word

Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #932
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do the Challengers have the same shifting problems?

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #933
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012-2SS View Post
Do the Challengers have the same shifting problems?
Camaro , challenger, and mustang all have the same problem.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM   #934
VictorDelDuca

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro SS 6M
Jerry hooked up my car today. After a good handful of 1-2 rips on my trip home, which is only about 15 miles, I didn't get a hint of grind. Feel is much better now. I've had an issue since the moment I installed my Hurst STS and was at the point where I was seriously considering putting the stock unit back in. Tried Redline in the trans with only a minimal improvement in the 1-2 grind (great overall improvement though!). Definitely recommend this to anyone with the dreaded grind issue!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #935
z28lee

Drives: 1970 Z28 2008 CTS 6M
Jerry;

I have a 2008 CTS with the V6 LLT and AY6 manual trans. I'm only an hour away from you in Marlton, NJ. .

Can you tell me if the master cylinder is the same? Or possibly different? Since the cars have similar bodies and drivelines I would think they are. The only difference I can tell is the CTS has a factory remote fluid resevoir. I even have a Camaro shifter in mine.

I don't have any shifting problems right now, but the car is a keeper and I would like it to stay that way. However this car did have a lot of warranty work before I bought it: new trans, new shifter, new clutch etc. My clutch is very smooth, catches 2-3 inches off the floor, and shifts very clean at 6000. Have never flat shifted this one.... yet.

Still if you think it would help synchro longevity I would do the mod'd MC swap.

Or if you think there is something unique in a CTS setup that you would want to check out, I could do the hour drive.

Having owned a 70 Z28 for 27 years I'd do that for the Camaro guys.

I was a SHO owner and club member for years. Those cars had all the clutch issues you mentioned, and more. They grabbed/released on the floor, grinded on 1-2 at high revs, and tore up synchros. It was just a bad clutch design because of space limitations. And hard to fix cause it was a cable system and FWD. Most of them had clutch problems. One of the mods that helped that clutch live was a ceramic ball bearing clutch release bearing. Otherwise the constantly running bearing would overheat, gall, start sticking and then chew up pressure plate release fingers. Then the shifting problems would start. Food for thought.

Keep those Camaros running!

Lee
z28lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #936
z28lee

Drives: 1970 Z28 2008 CTS 6M
email me: leigh1322 at comcast dot net
z28lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #937
IDEALG
Chevy's "Rumble" Best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lee View Post
Jerry;

I have a 2008 CTS with the V6 LLT and AY6 manual trans. I'm only an hour away from you in Marlton, NJ. .

Can you tell me if the master cylinder is the same? Or possibly different? Since the cars have similar bodies and drivelines I would think they are. The only difference I can tell is the CTS has a factory remote fluid resevoir. I even have a Camaro shifter in mine.

I don't have any shifting problems right now, but the car is a keeper and I would like it to stay that way. However this car did have a lot of warranty work before I bought it: new trans, new shifter, new clutch etc. My clutch is very smooth, catches 2-3 inches off the floor, and shifts very clean at 6000. Have never flat shifted this one.... yet.

Still if you think it would help synchro longevity I would do the mod'd MC swap.

Or if you think there is something unique in a CTS setup that you would want to check out, I could do the hour drive.

Having owned a 70 Z28 for 27 years I'd do that for the Camaro guys.

I was a SHO owner and club member for years. Those cars had all the clutch issues you mentioned, and more. They grabbed/released on the floor, grinded on 1-2 at high revs, and tore up synchros. It was just a bad clutch design because of space limitations. And hard to fix cause it was a cable system and FWD. Most of them had clutch problems. One of the mods that helped that clutch live was a ceramic ball bearing clutch release bearing. Otherwise the constantly running bearing would overheat, gall, start sticking and then chew up pressure plate release fingers. Then the shifting problems would start. Food for thought.

Keep those Camaros running!

Lee

It's a different master cylinder.
It's more like a corvette master cylinder. I'm betting it's made of all plastic like the vette ones.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #938
Gen5SS

Drives: 2010 SS/RS 6 Spd Manual IOM
I ordered one of your kits(modified master cylinder and remote reservoir) on Thursday with the free shipping code and it arrived today in Las Vegas. I cant say how impressed I am with how fast it got here. I have been getting a grind from first to second about 1 out of every 5 shifts at high rpm's(embarrassing at the track). I have a Mcleod RXT clutch with a cam and I'm putting down around 450 to the wheels, I'll let you know how it turns out and thanks again for your effort to fix this! If you want my old mc I'd be happy to send it to you for free to help the next guy.
2010 2SS/RS, 417 stroker, 4.0 Callies crank and rods, JRE pistons w/hellfire nitrous top rings, Kooks 1 7/8 LT, Kooks 3" Exhaust, CAI Intake and Scoop, Cam SullivanGM W/ Hardened PR, Stock Heads. Dual Springs, Mcleod RXT Clutch, Hurst LL W/ Cruise Momentary, GM 3.91 gears, Nitrous Outlet direct port 200 shot, Dedicated Fuel Cell(C16), LNC2000 and NOS Mini controller, BMR suspension w/Bushings, Pfadt Drop, Pfadt Diff Bushings, 1400hp DSS Axles, DSS driveshaft, Solid Engine Mounts, Razzi Body Kit, Speedhut Gauges,T-REX Phantom Grills (Black) 533RWHP/500RWTQ N/A, 724RWHP/816RWTQ 200 Shot
Gen5SS is offline   Reply With Quote