Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-21-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
Hooper
Camaroholic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS 6M
Camaro Car Cover Scratch Up My Pretty Black Paint?

Howdy- So I have been doing a lot of research on preserving my pretty black paint. Realizing how easily you can create the spider scratches if not cared for properly, I started thinking about my nice new GM Camaro car cover and realized it may scratch it up. I mean, the car over is not nearly as soft as my sheeps wool wash mitt so isnt it going to scratch it up?

Any help is appreciated...
Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Greycamaroguy

Drives: Cyber gray LT1/RS
Send a message via MSN to Greycamaroguy
It WILL if you put car cover on a not so clean car.
6/26/10-Pulled into Elkins Chevrolet N.J.at 4:30 pm
6/26/10-Pulled out in my new Cyber Gray Camaro at 5:30.

Great job Elkin!
------------------------------------------------

CAI/JBA axle-back exhaust/"Chevrolet" door sills/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6E4GqNSA8
Greycamaroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #3
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
As long as it's clean and waxed it will be fine.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
It will scratch your car if you keep it outside. I don't care how clean you think your car is. You cannot convince me that you can keep both the paint and the cover dust and dirt free.

My $200 Cal Cover scratched the hell out of my paint after less than 10 uses. It now is a $200 wadded up space-taker. I'm keeping it in case of really bad weather, but I sure wouldn't recommend using a cover more than very occasionally.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Never liked car covers. Get a car bubble if your that worried about it.

http://www.google.com/url?url=http:/...LYvL1sr91JyX3Q
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
funny that you mention this

I was removing a little tar & asphalt from my vehicle that I got today from the half arse road commission just throwing down about 4 yds. of
cold patch on a two lane road.Had no choice but to go thru it exiting a
curve.Well anyhow I was examining the rest of the car and noticed that I had some fine scratches on the top of the front fenders.I have to believe that they were caused by the gm car cover.Which I quit using so often when I had it in winter storage.I think I will go back to sewing together a few cotton sheets and using that like I used too.Just a thought.It only takes about 3-4.One thing for sure I am beginning to believe she scratches pretty darn easy!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
First, NEVER put the cover on the car if it's dirty...heck, I wouldn't even cover a car that has a little dust on it! If it were me, I'd ALWAYS wash the car prior to covering.

Second, if your covering your car and its outisde, the risk of wind and a cover thats moving around can cause headaches. Before I had my garage, I used to cover my SS (black), and even though I never covereed it unless I had just washed it, on a few as it sat outside and on occassions, I'd wake up to uncover it and find fine marks on the tops of my fenders...they came right out with a little polish fortunately.

IMO, covering your car every night is similar to washing/polishing too often..."the more you touch/put anything near the finish, the higher the risk of creating headaches for yourself".

Just keep the car clean and get a good coat of wax/polish on it, and IMO, this will offer as much protection as a cover.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:06 AM   #8
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
First, NEVER put the cover on the car if it's dirty...heck, I wouldn't even cover a car that has a little dust on it! If it were me, I'd ALWAYS wash the car prior to covering.

Second, if your covering your car and its outisde, the risk of wind and a cover thats moving around can cause headaches. Before I had my garage, I used to cover my SS (black), and even though I never covereed it unless I had just washed it, on a few as it sat outside and on occassions, I'd wake up to uncover it and find fine marks on the tops of my fenders...they came right out with a little polish fortunately.

IMO, covering your car every night is similar to washing/polishing too often..."the more you touch/put anything near the finish, the higher the risk of creating headaches for yourself".

Just keep the car clean and get a good coat of wax/polish on it, and IMO, this will offer as much protection as a cover.

Ed
well put
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:28 AM   #9
Camaro Freak

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT 334HP
Make sure its clean and it will work great!!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooper View Post
Howdy- So I have been doing a lot of research on preserving my pretty black paint. Realizing how easily you can create the spider scratches if not cared for properly, I started thinking about my nice new GM Camaro car cover and realized it may scratch it up. I mean, the car over is not nearly as soft as my sheeps wool wash mitt so isnt it going to scratch it up?

Any help is appreciated...
IMO car covers are for long term storage only (like storing it for 3-4 months during winter). If you use the cover on a daily basis (or even a weekly basis if the car is a weekend car), it will eventually scratch and spider web the paint regardless of how clean the car and cover is.

As mentioned above, I would not use a cover outside even if you purchase a outside cover. The wind and weather will cause the cover to consistently rub against the paint marring it up.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #11
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
I really don't know what to do.

I live in an apartment building and park outside in a parking lot. If I leave the car with the cover, I risk causing scratches if the wind blows, but if leave it naked, then it will be covered in bird droppings, dust, rain drops, tree leaves, etc. And since I can't wash it in the building's lot, that means I have get it hand washed at shop every weekend, which is also bad because frequent washing causes scratches.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #12
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyashas_Brother View Post
I really don't know what to do.

I live in an apartment building and park outside in a parking lot. If I leave the car with the cover, I risk causing scratches if the wind blows, but if leave it naked, then it will be covered in bird droppings, dust, rain drops, tree leaves, etc. And since I can't wash it in the building's lot, that means I have get it hand washed at shop every weekend, which is also bad because frequent washing causes scratches.
Don't get yourself all worked up!

It's not too complicated; forget the car cover, spend a day giving your car a good bath, ending with a good coat of a good wax/polish. THIS will do as much, IMO, to protect your paint.

Then, when you see a bird dropping, a wet leaf, etc., use a good spray detailer to remove the mark. Just use some water to soak the spot, and follow up with a spray detailer. (use the proper towel too)

Use the spray detailer as an intermediate method of cleaning the paint, and when possible, give your car a good bath.

Ed
Old 09-24-2010, 03:07 PM   #13
Inuyashas_Brother

Drives: '10 Camaro LS - M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Don't get yourself all worked up!
Thank you Ed, I do stress about this car.

My main worry and the reason I got the cover is because of rain. Say I come home and find that rain drops had dried on the car and I’m left with water spots all over the car. Would a spray detailer and microfiber clean the entire car, or will it have to be washed all over again?

Also, for a car parked outside but only driven on weekends, how often would you recommend I wax it and how often should it be buffed with a cleaning compound before waxing? I’m seeing some spiderweb swirls on the hood so I’m leaning towards getting it buffed even though it was waxed a month ago. I have no idea the type of wax the shop used (if they even used real wax).

Thank you!
Old 09-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuyashas_Brother View Post
Thank you Ed, I do stress about this car.

My main worry and the reason I got the cover is because of rain. Say I come home and find that rain drops had dried on the car and I’m left with water spots all over the car. Would a spray detailer and microfiber clean the entire car, or will it have to be washed all over again?

Also, for a car parked outside but only driven on weekends, how often would you recommend I wax it and how often should it be buffed with a cleaning compound before waxing? I’m seeing some spiderweb swirls on the hood so I’m leaning towards getting it buffed even though it was waxed a month ago. I have no idea the type of wax the shop used (if they even used real wax).

Thank you!
First, you're not the only one to stress out over their car's paint...I still do it too!

Regarding rain; if you're car was washed just prior to the rain, and not driven, I'd be comfortable using a spray detailer and a quality/clean towel to wipe it down. If it was driven, I'd play it safe and wash the car.

Regarding how often to wax/polish; I use the rule - at least once every 6 months for a daily driver, once a year for a garaged car. Seeing as your car is parked, exposed to the elements, I'd try to get a coat of wax on it about every 2 - 3 months.

Regarding a cleaning compound/a detailed waxing/polishing using a buffer, I recommend every 6 months. You don't want to use anything too abrasive very often as this will diminsh your clear coat.

Have you considered searching for a good/reputable detailer? I'd recommend you do, and ask to see some of their prior work. I think if you found one in your area, it'd really help ease your worries/concerns.

You don't want to worry so much about your car that you fail to enjoy it. At the very least, keep it clean when possible, get a coat of wax/polish on it, and enjoy it.

The VAST majority of cars, be they daily drivers or weekend "toys", all have some amount of "issues". Its just the nature of the beast. So enjoy your car and don't worry so much. Remember, pretty much any mark can be corrected by a good detailer.

Ed